Do we even need a CB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

i dont understand why people think we should draft a CB in round 1 or Rd 2.
    we have 2 starting CB already on the roster in dyson and Barrett. the barrett hate really needs to stop cower said after the 04 playoff game that barrett was a great CB, which he is. he played all last season injured and still had 5INTs. he is good CB and is going to start for us this season. Mangini will work wonders will miller this and make him a solid #3 CB and we have good depth with coleman and poteat i do see us drafting a CB but the name of courtney Brown in the 5 or 6 round but we have our starting CB in dyson and barrett and there is no need on wasting a high pick on a postion that we dont need. like alot of people have said if you fix the pass rush the CBs will be just fine and that is so true. that being said do you think we need a CB on the first day in the draft?

2. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

barrett just had surgery and will most likely be cut. coleman and poteat are good depth? get real.

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

yeah, rumor has it Barrett may be a goner.

however, i also believe Coleman and Poteat are good depth IF we draft someone else to compete with Miller. Dyson--Miller/draftee--Coleman--Poteat isn't all that bad considering the Front 7 will improve.

5 CB's should be enough. 6 would be nice, but they can't all be very good. that's just unrealistic.

cheers

4. Martin&theJETS

if we do draft a CB i want tanard jackson

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree with Tanard Jackson. Martin&Jets is right on the fact that with the front 7 improving, pressure will be taken off the CBs, but the Jets' CB arent talented enough to stand alone. They need a rookie to come in and make some sort of improvement to the secondary.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

or maybe Miller could could just knuckle down and learn the playbook.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think I would hold my breath on that one. Miller continues to be a punk on the field and I'm sure the attitude comes with him to the classroom. I would prefer we took a corner in the second round, but if the find a tough man-coverage guy in the first I won't cry.

8. gustoonarmy

Jets Visiting with Several Players
    Posted by Bob Bullock April 10, 2007 7:58PM
    Categories: Player news
    The Jets are doing some serious entertaining these last few days as they prepare for the 2007 draft. The team has hosted restricted free agents and potential draft picks too. It is nice to see that Hempstead is rocking with more players to help Gang Green reach the next level.

It is clear that GM Mike Tannenbaum is doing his homework as the team finalizes its draft board. The Jets need some help at cornerback, they could use some depth on the offensive line and they could use some pass-rush help as well. Tannenbaum has said that he wants to have his roster set before the draft so that he will not have to draft for "need", he can just get the best player on the board.

The Jets visited with Patriots restricted free agent Randall Gay today. Head Coach Eric Mangini is certainly familiar with Gay, having coached him while with the Pats 3 years ago. That just happened to be Gay's most productive season. The only problem with Gay is that the team would have to give up a second-round pick to sign him. I'm not sure if that is a smart move, unless Mangini and Tannenbaum both believe Gay would be a better addition then a second-round talent from college. Certainly open for debate, but I certainly defer to both men on that one, as they have more knowledge than I do in that particular area.

It was also reported today that the team had a visit with Notre Dame defensive end Victor Abiamiri.The Jets are obviously still looking to add talent to the defensive end/outside linebacker position, even though they have signed several free agents in that area. Abiamiri was a captain at Notre Dame, is extremely bright and has a great work ethic. Gee, you think that sounds like a Mangini type of player?

Rich Cimini blogs us about another visitor to Jets' headquarters today. Bengals guard Stacy Andrews rolled into Hempstead today. He is listed at 6-7, 345 pounds, that is a large man. Gang Green certainly can use some depth on the offensive line, especially at guard, but Andrews is also an restricted free agent and would cost the team a second rounder as well.

The Jets have two second round picks, so I wouldn't expect them to sign both Gay AND Andrews. In fact, I would be surprised if they signed either one. Tannenbaum has made it clear that he wants to build through the draft, so giving up a valuable second round pick for questionable talent does not seem to be his MO.http://blog.nj.com/jets/2007/04/jets_visiting_with_several_pla.html

I have a feeling that CB is going to be our 1st rounder.

9. 1010

1010 New Member

David Barrett is terrible, period. I am not sure how anyone can like anything that he does on the field.

10. Martin&theJETS

your kidding right? he had 5 INTs and played almost every game injured. he has had 5 INTs 2 years in a row how is that horrible?

11. gustoonarmy

Thats a bit hard , at worst hes average. As has been already said , with an improved pass rush the secondary might get a well needed lift.

12. Atopps

Atopps Member

Barret is a solid #2. He played injured all of last season and still had a decent year.. i know this topic has been beaten to death, but the guy steps up when we need him. If him and dyson can stay healthy, our CBs will be good enough to get by as long as our pass rush is a little better this year. The surgery is not the reason that barrett would be cut anyway.. it would be his cap number. He should be healed and ready to go 100% before training camp.. and with the cap increasing as much as it has and even moreso next year, i dont think his numbers will really hold us back. He is not a shut down corner and was never meant to be one, but he holds his own and makes plays.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I do agree we need to address CB, but not in RD 1. Josh Wilson or Fred Bennett are 2 very good options in Rd 2.

I'm leaning toward the 2 Justin's in Rd 1....Blalock or Harrell.

Harrell would have been a Mid Rd1 pick if he wasn,t injured. Harrell's flexibility of playing DE in a 3-4 and moving to DT in a 4-3 is very valuable

14. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Barrett is good against the run & so-so in coverage. Hepls more than he hurts. Better pass rush makes all CB's look good. How many INT's does Asante Samuels get as a Jet' with there weak pass rush ?

Cb in 1st round not practical. From what will be available.....Best available player...Lawrence Timmons is a good & fast player also. As long as Jets' are able to address all there needs, I don't really care about the order they arrive.

I would like to see Justin Blaylock, Walter Thomas, & Tank Tyler in Jets' Green & White. everybody else is gravy.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well it's obvious that he runs down the field with his eyes closed and then occasionally spastically twitches and his hands accidentally catch the balls headed for other receivers. The odds on a bad defensive back doing that eight times over two seasons and sixteen times in his career are quite reasonable, probably not more than 500,000,000 to 1.

#15 Br4d, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We don't need a CB before we fix our real problems, the pass rush and stopping the run. I doubt we have fixed them with the people we picked up so far. We certainly don't need a CB in the 1st or 2nd round. We aren't going to fix all the problems all at once. Fix the ones that matter most first.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On the other hand if at the 25 pick the clearly most valuable player is a CB then grab him. Because that's the way good teams draft.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I agree. What if the best player on the board is a safety? Or a receiver? Are you saying pick them too? If you are then you are buying into Tannebaum's philosphy of having your roster set before the draft begins. That way you can use your picks on luxuries rather then necessities. I don't disagree with that BTW.

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Terrible? Not even close.

He's an adequete player corner who really just lacks speed.

I could accept mediocre, but not terrible.

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

then the answer is yes to a WR and maybe to a S.

now, let's say there is a WR, S, CB, and OLB available -- all of which are valued very similarly. well then you lean towards the position needed more, in this case CB or OLB.

but if there's a WR valued much much higher than any CB, OLB, DE at that point, then you take the WR or trade out of the spot and acquire more picks.

that's just my opinion, based on drafting value over need.

cheers