Article On Chris Baker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 6, 2007.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

From......
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/baker-tight-ends-began-to-take-effect

That Catch and TD.....MUGGED!

[​IMG]

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Baker has been a good player, even though the #s never showed it. He's healthy, in shape, and determined. If this team surprisingly doesn't go TE, baker may actually be a real contributor this year.

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'm struggling to think of many occasions where Baker has let us down. He has every right to feel majorly aggrieved if the team selects a first round Tight End.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Baker was suppose to be a big part of the offense last year and it never materialized. So, that says one of two things. He either ran bad patterns or couldn't get open. I guess it could also be that Pennington never saw him but I doubt that. I think that's why there is talk of getting another tight end.

5. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

Or it could be option number 3, he was kept in, to block in an effort to help the struggling offensive line. In fact I know its option number 3, Baker stayed in to block on a lot of passing downs while 3 or 4 receivers went out, the backs we had last year were not good pass protectors (though Loen picked up his game late), thus Baker was usually the sixth blocker. With Jones at runningback, Baker will get more opportunities, as Jones is a good pass blocker. If we take a TE, it needs to be a big tall red zone/over the middle threat. Baker is a complete TE, Ryan & Pociask are both blocking TE's, we need a 6'7" receiving threat, maybe like Kevin Boss in the 6th.

6. Don

It could be that too. I'm not sure hving Jones will fix it either unless the right side of the line is also improved.

7. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Baker really does have all the tools to be a very good TE. He's one of my favorite Jets... and his pass catching skills are underused.

8. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

you guys call him a good TE that is underused in the passing game, I see it as him not getting open when I watch games. I hope we see Greg Olsen walk across the stage in NY wearing a Jets hat.

9. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

you also had the emergence of Cotch and the general awesomeness of the wr duo that dominated our passing game taking away from baker's touches.

10. Don

Awesome? There was nothing awesome about our receivers that I saw.

11. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

I have watched every game from last season, atleast twice, trust me, they kept Baker in to block instead of a runningback waaaaaaaaaaaaay too often. Jones won't fix the problem, but it helps to have a back that can pick uup the blitz so that you don't always have to keep the TE in end. Anyway, if you want Baker to catch 20 more passes, they ahve to come from some where. SO either Coles/Cotchery get fewer cathes or you take away touches from Washington, I really wouldnt want to do either of these things. If McCareins leaves, I think Baker will get some of his touches, so that may help.

12. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I agree that Baker was kept in to block which limited his opportunity in the passing game. I think it was more to assist DBrick than anything else. Bakers lack of utilization in the passing game has always bothered me. I think he could be an awesome passing threat. If they need to keep someone in to block, I'd rather it be Ryan and let Baker get some touches. He could definatly create some mismatches, or at least keep double teams off Coles or Cotch.

13. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

I like Baker and hope he has more of a catching role this year in the offence.

14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

We need another pick to get Kevin Boss in either round 6 or 7, 2 pass catching te's couldnt hurt and could help Chad more.

15. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Who doesn't love Baker? He's the first down maker!

That being said, I have no problem with the Jets drafting/acquiring another TE to complement him on the other side as long as it isn't with the 1st round pick.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

In order for Baker to bu usable, you need speed on the perimeter to open up the middle Passing lanes.

our current offense has 2 Possesion recievers with limited Deep ability.

Fix that, and Baker is a weapon.

17. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

You weren't impressed by the seasons Coles and Cotchery had?

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Who are the speed burners on SD and KC?

Coles is fast.

19. Don

They had solid years, I agree. However awesome is another whole level above that. Usually reserved for receivers like Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison or Terrell Owens.

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

If you didn't find it awesome, then at least you must have found it awesome that they didn't suck as bad as most of us feared they would.

And the fact you even stuck Owens in that sentence above... :rofl: I'll take an average or above average WR over having some head case "elite" receiver any day. Owens usefulness is in the rear view mirror from this point on.