Yankees 2007 Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Mar 14, 2007.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Mussina is the most schedule-oriented pitcher in baseball, we know how crazy he gets when his schedule gets out of whack. It's not worth it to screw up his schedule for just one game in April.

2. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Maybe your right but to me it doesnt seem like it would be that much in order to get Moose the opening day start.
    The ball does seem to be in Rasners court. He gets the start tomorrow which coincidently is against Scott Kazmir who will start opening day for the Rays.
    It looks like Joe is at least giving Rasner every chance. Its his to lose at this point.

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Well unless Torre was lying this morning, he said Pavano would get the start if he stayed healthy in his start today, which he did.

4. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Torre is going to see how Pavano feels tomorrow before declaring him the opening day starter.

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Swindal is getting divorced from Steinbrenner's daughter. I guess that means he won't be taking over for George.

6. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Oh wow. I've never known enough about him to know if he would've been a good owner or not. I wonder what the root of all this was.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Probably that DUI from the beginning of Spring Training. But who knows, that's just a guess.

8. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

FTC is going to bang steinbrenners daughter

9. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

TAMPA, Fla., March 28 - George Steinbrenner ate dinner in the cafeteria at Legends Field on Wednesday night, with his daughter Jessica beside him and her husband, Felix Lopez, next to her. Lopez merrily took out a cellphone and snapped a picture of his wife and his father-in-law. It was one big, happy family.

But all is not right in the Steinbrenner family. His other daughter, Jennifer, filed for divorce from her husband, Steve Swindal, in the family law division of Hillsborough County Circuit Court on Tuesday. Swindal was arrested last month on suspicion of driving under the influence, and the pending divorce ends any chance he had of succeeding Steinbrenner in running the Yankees, as Steinbrenner had said he would do in June 2005.

“I’m the boss,” Steinbrenner said through his spokesman, Howard Rubenstein. “I continue to be the boss, I have no intention of retiring, and my family runs the Yankees with me.”

Steinbrenner’s sons, Hank and Hal, are listed as general partners along with Swindal at the top of the Yankees’ hierarchy. Lopez, who is becoming an increasingly active presence, is listed as a senior vice president.

With Swindal soon leaving the family, he is also leaving the Yankees. According to an individual with direct knowledge of the matter, Steinbrenner no longer plans on promoting him. But removing him altogether from the Yankees is complicated because Swindal owns a stake in the team and the specifics of that must be unraveled.

Swindal, who has been a member of Major League Baseball’s ownership committee, spent more than five hours in a Largo, Fla., jail in the early hours of Feb. 15 after his arrest at 2:12 a.m. at 18th Ave. and 31st St. in St. Petersburg. He failed a field sobriety test and refused a Breathalyzer test.

Swindal pleaded not guilty, and his lawyer, Kym Rivellini, said on Wednesday that she had requested and been granted a continuance, a standard practice. Rivellini said it would take six to eight more weeks to review pre-trial material.

Last month, Rivellini said that when Swindal was arrested, he was headed to his boat, where he planned to spend the night. He was arrested about 40 blocks from the marina, near a bail bonds building and a Laundromat.

Swindal spoke with the news media on Feb. 19 and said he believed he had Steinbrenner’s support.

“He supports me,” Swindal said then. “I don’t feel anything but a guy who is looking out after me and supports me.”

Swindal did not respond to a telephone message on Wednesday, but he and Jessica Steinbrenner issued a statement through Rubenstein in which they said they were “amicably” ending their 23-year marriage.

“Although their marriage is dissolving, they remain friends and maintain a strong mutual respect,” the statement said. “They are devoted to their two children and will make them their shared focus.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/sports/baseball/29yankees.html?hp

10. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

PATHETIC. I go to Legends just wanting to enjoy a good game, and Rasner/Villone/and Bruney shit the bed. Henn did well.

Anyway, Rasner had a shot to be #5 and sent himself to Scranton, pretty much making the decision for Torre. I like Henn to be the long reliever over Villone, Ron ny is done and I can't stand to see him.

Matsui had an error on a skip off the wall, slips on the play and the runner scores, we all know his defensive problems though.

The hitting didn't do so well, Abreu with an RBI, Giambi a double, Jeter a double...But the pitching SUCKED.

I left when Farnsworth came in, so no word on him.

11. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Welcome to opening day Carl pavano.

Lets just hope that his girlfriends aunt flo doesnt visit or Joe will have to start Proctor.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Did we get an official announcement of Pavano yet? Come on Joe, do the right thing for once. As much as I was against Pavano even being in pinstripes at all, he's the one guy who is healthy enough that deserves a shot on Opening Day.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

15. Drew

Drew Active Member

So if Pavano starts opening day, who starts Wednesday, Thursday, etc?

I think I'm going to the game Thursday, I'd love to see Pettite's return home.

16. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Pavano, Mussina, Pettitte is the order I think. Moose and Pettitte might be switched, depending on Pettitte's back.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Steven Jackson looked really good tonight against Toronto's regulars. That D'Backs scout that Cashman hired really did a good job in the RJ trade, Jackson looks like a sleeper.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Not to mention Randy is just getting to his first spring action now. He won't even join the club until the middle of April if everything goes well. What a great trade this was!
    --------------------

I just saw on the news that Corey Lidle's family will be at the Stadium to throw out the season's first pitch. That's pretty cool. People can say what they want about the Yankees, but the club really respects those who have worn the pinstripes.

19. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

all quotes from http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

20. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Woo. I'll be at Pettitte's first start