Jets signed DE Michael Haynes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by F Miami, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Tight

Tight Active Member

While that sounds like a great idea I doubt it would actually work. Hey, people have turned their careers around before so why not him. Maybe just maybe, the jets can get some good out of this guy. I believe he primarily played in the 4-3 @ chi so maybe a change of systems can be a good thing . No ? I hope haynes comes to camp with a chip on his shoulder and ready to battle.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Since we've had Chad under center we've consistently been around 10-6 and made the playoffs.....

Yet, the doubters persist.

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i like it too.

we now aren't pressed to find a DE early in the draft if it's not one of the BPA's. it'd be nice to have a standout DE, but with all the DE's we have now, we don't absolutely HAVE to nab one. i love having this flexibility heading into April.

cheers

4. baamf

baamf Active Member

Just two notes on this post. First, Haynes is not eligible for the practice squad, and second I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he is bouncing around the league. The Bears waived him, six teams tried to pick him up in September but he was awarded to the Saints based on their position on the waiver list. He was then released by the Saints. 2 teams is not exactly bouncing around the league.

Anyway, I'm not sure how anyone can question this move. It falls exactly into the Mangini mantra of having competition at every position. It makes everyone better. If he sucks it up he won't make it out of training camp. If he proves he can bring value to our team we win. This is a no lose move....

5. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

The is a low/no risk signing. Much like the Tuisososooppo(whatever) signing the FO is just bringing in the needed depth for Training Camp. Good chance he won't make the final cut, but if he does then he must have beat out lesser players. Either way, ho-hum.

Bring on the draft beochez!

PS: This Rutgers guy still hoping for Leonard despite the FB signing.

6. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I can't see how people think this is a bad signing... The guy is good and had a fairly productive season his ROOKIE year in a system he was used to. When Chicago switched and I believe moved him to DLine he didn't fit at all. This guy... IMHO is going to be our sleeper FA move this year.

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Is this guy just a first round bust? Having been drafted that high, we have to assume he has been impressive at some point in his career.

Were the Pats not good at taking non-superstar players and making them very effective in their system? let's hope Mangini and company can do the same with this guy...get his to focus on doing certain things well and such.

They must have seen something in him....let's be positive and hope he'll have a "re-whatever they call it" here.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Renaissance?

9. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

It should be clear now, that we?re not gonna go DL on Day 1 we?re paying 3 DL-Players starting money, and got good enough depth.

I guess we go OL, LB and TE ond Day one, or maybe trade up?

10. Quack

Quack New Member

I think that all of this depth on the defensive line is just a congintency plan. In the case that our offense can't stay on the field long enough to rest our defense it'll be fresh regardless due to our extensive depth.:)

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Not TE, CB

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree about not going for the D-Line now, but I'd rather see us go OL, CB and maybe WR now on Day One (not necessarily in that order). But let's throw a real ringer in here. How about we move up and only take OL and a high-pick CB?

I see no need to go after a TE on Day One and I'm okay with our LB's too, but I could see OL, CB and WR.

13. baamf

baamf Active Member

I personally would love another pass rushing OLB to complement Thomas...

14. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

its seems more and more likely a CB is coming in the 1st round to us

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

God no. Anything except CB in the first. Preferably WR, or RG...

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

1997 - O'Donnell: 9-7 no playoffs
    1998 - Vinny: 12-2 (12-4) playoffs
    1999 - Lucas: 7-2 (8-8) no playoffs
    2000 - Vinny: 9-7 no playoffs
    2001 - Vinny: 10-6 playoffs
    2002 - Chad: 8-4 (9-7) playoffs
    2003 - Chad: 4-5 (6-10) no playoffs
    2004 - Chad: 8-5 (10-6) playoffs
    2005 - Brooks: 2-7 (4-12) no playoffs
    2006 - Chad: 10-6 playoffs

It really is a continuum that started in the Parcells years and has progressed from there. The Jets talent over the last decade has been decent but nothing special and they've won about as many games as you would expect them too. Chad could just as easily have been any other mid to late first round talent plugged in to the Mawae-Martin-Fabini-Thomas grind it out machine.

Note that in 2000 they got really unlucky losing their last 3 games while Indy swept their last 3 and edged the Jets out of the playoffs. In 2002 they got phenomenally lucky with the Patriots scoring a silly number of points in the final 5 mins to come back and beat the Dolphins in game 16 allowing the Jets to get into the playoffs. Those were just random luck. If you switch the results of the two years then we're all sitting here right now saying Chad just hasn't quite measured up to what Vinny accomplished as Jet's QB.

#76 Br4d, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  17. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

I gotta agree with SigmaXJet ... Looking like a 1st round CB. That is a position where the starters really need competition. It's hard to hide weakness at the DB spot more than some other positions. Has anyone seen what the Pats have been doing, we may need a few more DBs.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

You should be banned for making false & misleading accusations IMHO.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

You to should be banned for making false & misleading accusations IMHO.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You should get a refill on your Paxil perscription IMHO. It's a joke champ - you should try loosen up a bit and not be so miserable your whole life.