Prediction: Jets will trade up for D-lineman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Mar 21, 2007.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Just a gut feeling that Tannebaum will going a little against the philosophy (as Belichick seemed to do during free agency), and package our 25 with either a 2nd this year, or picks from next year, to move up and grab either Okoye, Branch or Carriker.

The pattern is that the Jets don't do much but then Tannenbaum always manages to make a splashy move.

2. faree

faree Member

Unless we're trading up for Branch, which would be very costly, a trade up is IMHO highly unlikely at this point. Seeing that the jets gave a big contract (a starters contract) to Coleman, they have basically said that unless Carriker falls to us at 25, he will not be pursued.

Also, Okoye appears to be more of a 4-3 tackle.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

#3 Jets81, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  4. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I love Okoye -

Amobi Okoye
    Height: 6-2 | Weight: 302 | 40-Time: 4.97

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Extremely strong...A solid athlete with good measurables...Stout against the run and is able to take on multiple blockers...Gets a good push and will collapse the pocket...Is able to shed blocks and clog up the middle...Shows great instincts for the game and is still developing...Smart player who is mature beyond his years and wants to improve...Quick and will penetrate and rush the passer...Still has a ton of potential and he could really be physically molded by a pro strength coach.

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't always play with proper leverage...Does not have a great burst of closing speed...Has to develop some additional pass rush moves...Is inconsistent and will disappear from the action at times...Needs some technique work and is not yet a finished product...Is he overrated simply due to his being extraordinarily young?

Notes:
    Has four years of Division I playing experience but will still only be a 20-year-old rookie in the NFL...A native of Nigeria who tested into the 9th grade as a 12-year-old and played at Louisville as a 16-year-old true freshman in '03...The NFL Draft has never seen a prospect quite like this and even though he is already a very good player now it's his upside that is really intriguing...Impact interior lineman.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading up to the 13 or 14 for Carriker might well be in the cards. He's the kind of talent that you regret not getting your hands on when you play a 3-4.

6. I like Okoye but not in the 3-4.

As for Branch, I'd love him as a DE, and he is slipping, we may move up a few spots and snag him to replace Kimo and give us some solidity on the outside of the DL.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

Carriker could be our Seymour. He's got the height, the speed, the power, the athleticism....

That guy is going to be a great player for someone...

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I would want Branch even if he slips to 25. The guy has bust written all over him, especially if he is taken in the top 10. I guess I would have to take the chance if he slips to 25 but no way in hell I am moving up for him.

9. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

carriker wont last that long, the niners will nab him at 11 if he is there

10. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I'm not sure what Mr. T will do in this case, but I think we can safely say that the Jets FO/CS believes in building from the lines out. I can see a focus on d-line and o-line remaining a key component of draft strategy this year.

11. The thing about it is, yes thatd be great. But we dont even NEED that type of player to make our D more successful. All we need is someone that can maintain their gap, and collapse the poccket to allow our lb's and Rhodes to make plays near or at the LOS.

I believe Branch or Carriker would instantly fill this void, and as you mentioned, Carriker would bring even more to the table

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

You know, several weeks ago I would have dismissed this idea and said "No Way!" But now I'm thinking something like this (not saying the #25 + our 2nd) might be possible. Some of this is being dicussed in the other thread about our "grade" so far in F/A, with the writer sarcastically suggesting that we "lost our pen" after making the Jones trade because we really didn't spend any more after that.

I don't know, but it does seem that Tangini has played it awfully close to the vest in F/A and maybe there's a reason why they're holding onto the dollars. Whether by design or just perhaps because that's the way the chips have fallen during F/A, it's starting to look a little more likely now that we have that option... the option of being able to sign a higher dollar guy if we needed to (a #13 or so).

So, weeks ago I would have said GSourJr's above prediction is out to lunch, but now I'm not so sure. And he's right about another thing in his above premonition, that Tannenbaum is not afraid to cut across any avenues available to him at the moment to do something completely out of character for the improvement of the team...

13. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

If Branch falls past the Niners we should trade up to get him.

Now I see no way that he falls that low but he would really complete our D.

But I see no way that we trade up.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

don't be surprised if Branch falls alot further than past the Niners. Players like Branch are the ones that usually end up sliding in the draft..

15. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

ala Gabe Watson from last year's draft (big Michigan DT).

16. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Someone would have to be on a huge slide for that to happen as it is unlikely any get past the 16ish range.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I can't say too many teams will be all that thrilled about the following synopsis, so he probably will slide. The thing is, how far is too much and at what # is he a great pick?:

"At a critical time in his football career, he hasn't gotten himself in good physical condition, and that is raising legitimate questions about his work ethic. During Michigan’s Mid-March Pro Day he didn’t show up in great shape and ran the short shuttle in 4.81 seconds, and the three-cone drill in 7.50 seconds. The Kansas City Chiefs seem to be showing a lot of interest in him. At the 2007 NFL Combine Branch ran two 40 yard dashes, one was a very decent 5.07 seconds and the other at 5.19. If you look closely at his 40 run, he had an excellent 10 yard split time of 1.75 seconds, which means he is very explosive. He seemed to tire easily though, and didn’t run any of the shuttle runs or 3-cone drills at the combine. Branch did however show functional strength when he benched 225 lbs. 33 times."

18. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

why not Okoye in the 3-4? He is a space eater and takes on multiple blockers?

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen!

20. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

it's not a bad idea. Except for Okoye, who seems to be a pure 4-3 3-technique tackle - or, if not, then at least he would be enough of a misfit to make trading up for him unlikely. Both Branch and Carriker ar good fits, though, so if the FO thinks highly enough of either of them, I could see it happening. With one of our seconds we could probably get into the 15-16 range and maybe even gain back a fourth in the bargain. I could see this happening if GB loses out on Marshawn Lynch and decides it wants to trade down.

However, there is good value at 25, 57, and 63 at positions of need for us - that being CB (revis, Ross in the first, Josh Wilson, AJ Davis in the second), OG (Blalock and Grubbs in the first, Manny Ramirez and Josh Beekman int he second), DE (no one other than Carriker in the first and Alama-Francis in the seond) and OLB (Spencer or Moss in the first and Moses or Woodley in the second) SO, that says to me, why move up and fill only two spots when you can stay where you are and fill three.

That said, I love Carriker personally, feel he would solidify a crucial spot for us, and would love to move up to grab him.