Yankees 2007 Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Mar 14, 2007.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Igawa will make the rotation out of ST unless he gets injured. He's improved with each start. This is the first time he's ever thrown with this type of baseball in his career. His best pitch in Japan has been his worst pitch in the U.S. so far because of the difference in grip of the baseball. In his last start, he pitched very well for 3 innings... if it weren't for one batter who hit a 2B and HR, he would've been nearly perfect.

The only way Karstens starts the season in the rotation is if Pavano gets hurt or traded... or Igawa gets hurt.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

So I should bank on Karstens?

As for Giambi, I had forgotten that he is so good at getting on base. I still think Matsui would be a great 3-hole guy, but yeah, I see the point that if ARod is going to clean up no matter what, you can't drop Giambi that far in the order.

3. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

If Pavano doesnt get hurt, his girlfriend will.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Hopefully that dumb fat ass Francesa saw that catch by Melky after all the shit he gave Cashman a few days ago about how Melky was a bad defensive CFer... even though Melky's been great there his entire professional career, except for the week he was called up in 2005.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I only watched the 1st inning but after walking the first 2 Igawa struvck out the next 3 including the Jones boys.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Great night for baseball...

Igawa started off shaky but struck out 5 in 3 innings. His slider is pretty nice, and he doesn't seem to get rattled in terms of body language...

Melky's catch was awesome, really didn't think he'd get to it, very nice.

ARod got BOOED after he struck out looking with Jeter on 3rd, 1 out...Even I had to freakin boo, take the bat off your shoulders in that situation.

Cano looked pretty stupid his 1st AB, seemed lost.

Raul Chavez belted the 2-run shot to tie the game, and the Yanks did a squeeze bunt with the runner running home, very nice bunt by Phillips...

The capper was being able to see Rivera pitch an inning, got a strikeout and that's when we left...

7. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Booing in Spring Training? Even I was planning on taking it a light on A-Rod this year after the hell I gave him last year.

8. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

It was bad...He looked at 3 strikes with yet another RISP and the crowd just let into him...

I like the guy, but in spring freaking training you can take the bat off your shoulders.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...19,0,7854139.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

The fact that Phillips might still be in the running for the 1B job over Phelps is just further proof of Torre's sickening loyalty to certain players, no matter how horrible they may be.

If Torre is even thinking for one second about taking Phillips over Phelps, Cashman needs to step in and use his veto power. We've seen enough of Torre's blind loyalty with shit guys like Zeile, and Enrique Wilson. Time to actually do something that benefits the team. Cashman already took a huge step in doing that this off-season by not signing Bernie, refusing to give him a guaranteed contract despite Torre's verbal fellatio. Cashman has all the power to make the moves that make the Yankees the best they can be, and this is a situation where he might have to envoke that power.

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

After the comments he made last week,he opened the door for it. I do think he's gonna have a great year,but at the times he doesn't...he's gonna hear it louder than ever.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't think Phillips has a place on the team. Right now, I think Joe's just being politically correct. There's no way Phelps isn't making this team. The kid's got offensive talent. Phillips might have a slight edge with the glove, but it's first base, not short. Phelps is the guy, along with Meinasdfjkl (who I'm still not impressed with.)

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I have to be honest. I was giving ARod a chance. But every since he opened his mouth he has yet to show me anything. Every at-bat I've seen so far he's looked EXACTLY like he has since October 2005. His glove skills at third seemed to have come back around, but he's not getting the ball out of the infield while at the plate.

He'd better be ready to pack his shit in August. This will be the first time I've ever rooted for the Cubs to be in the playoff race come the trade deadline.

14. typeOnegative13NY

Only 13 days,21 hours til opening day! Woohooo I mean spring training is great,but the 2 months with no meaningful sports to watch is brutal!

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well this month we have the NCAAs.

Oh wait, you said meaningful.

16. typeOnegative13NY

Haha exactly. I love to play basketball,but i can't watch it for 15 seconds

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Definitely. Playing and watching are vastly different things.

18. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I don't know what the Cubs could afford give up to us if they were in the playoff race

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

ARod keeps having at-bats like I'm seeing, and we'll be lucky to walk away with a couple decent prospects.

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Derek Jeter will be captain of the Red Sox before A-Rod is traded at the deadline.

In a trade (which won't happen), the Yankees could still get a huge package in return for him. He's still in his prime, and regardless of what the media says, he's still an elite all-around player. The only concern teams would have is that he'd exercise his option, and get a 6-7 year deal on the open market worth $20M+ per year.