NY Jets' FO Strategy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Guy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Are our Kid-Bosses beings smart with cap room? I certainly think so. Looking at the contracts handed out so far, I wouldn't have paid anyone what they received...even Adalius Thomas a 30 year old phreak who lives on speed.

Yes, the new FO will have to pay Thomas Jones, but his contract will be reasonable for a guy who's been to two pro bowls and a Super Bowl...

Sure, I'd like to have had a big name FA, but none of them - arguably Adalius Thomas, are worth what they were paid.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You are right...just about EVERYONE is getting soooo overpaid.

Joey Porter 20 Million Guaranteed?
    Ovie Mughelli gets the largest contract a FB has EVER gotten!?
    Nate Clements gets the largest contract a defensive player has EVER gotten!? WOW...

3. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i wanted nasty nate to come here....but at that price....the niners are effin insane! i know they had a ton of room under the cap, but paying that much for 1 player is just crazy. i guess thats why they havent looked like the niners in 10 years.

i was shocked that the patsies franchised samuel too. they never NEVER pay up. usually they release, plug and go. hopefully they dont extend his contract and he hits FA again next year.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Based on the runup in free agent contracts this year the franchise tag was a cheap way to keep Samuel around for a year and see if he's really worth a mega-deal.

The downside is that his agent will not let him particpate at all in offseason club activities unless he gets a proviso written into the tag acceptance that the Pats will not do this next year. Same as Clements got last year.

The Pats will balk at that and this will get very nasty before it is done. Mark my words on that.

5. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I gotta believe we have something up our sleeve.. Whether its one more trade or draft related..

Tannenbaum said he wants to have all the major holes filled before the draft so they can draft best available.

Unless they have NE's old mentality in which they are waiting for the best deals...

either way,
    In Tangini We Trust.

at least i do..

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

If these guys get fat on their paycheques and don't perform the expense is going to go through the roof.
    As a fan I prefer the incentive laden contracts.

7. gustoonarmy

There is a rumour floating about, and I'm pretty sure its complete BS that we are about to package a deal with the browns , and in the deal Coles is mentioned as part of the package in draft postions and future picks.
    Make of that what you will......

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I would love to get some value out of Coles right now. Loved him as a player but if we can strike for a real impact player and unload a player on the downside at the same time Sign me up.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 3 pick is going to be very expensive. The Browns play a 3-4 so Vilma probably is not part of that deal. I shudder to imagine how many picks the Jets would have to include along with Coles to move to that spot in the draft.

25, 59 and 63 gets them about 60% of the way there. I doubt that Coles is worth the equivalent of the 18 pick, which is what we're short at that point.

I think the rumor is probably BS. It just does not look like the kind of deal that Tannenbaum would see as a profitable exchange of assets.

10. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I would more likely expect a deal with Detroit. The Lions don't want to take a quarterback at #2 and if they pass on Quinn their fans will kill them. Vilma is a better fit for the Lions defense...and has much more value than Coles.

11. gustoonarmy

Plus if they want a WR, why not just draft Calvin Johnson?
    I'm sure its BS too , thats why I didn't start a thread on it :)

12. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

listening to sirius nfl radio too i see....way to reiterate what wilcots said.....although you forgot to add the part in where he also added that its near impossible the jets move JV....