Thomas Jones traded to the Jets...Deal Complete (Merged 5X)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 5, 2007.

1. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

This trade is great.

Just think about it this way - if not for Thomas Jones, who would we have gotten to be our starting RB next year?
    - TJ Ducket?
    - Corey Dillon?

In this draft there are only 2 RBs that could step in and be as good as Thomas Jones (Peterson and Lynch) and they will both be long gone by the time we pick.

Thomas Jones, for the price we paid (moving back 26 spots in round 2) is amazing!

If the FO is in love with a guy come pick 37 or so... we'll move up because we have the 2 2nd rounders to do so.

We filled one of our biggest holes and we still have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

( I know he's still 28, but he'll be 29 come pre-season....)

I'm still not thrilled about it, but this post made me a lot happier with the situation. You make great points I cannot deny. :beer:

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Thomas Jones is a good back not a great one. I do think that the Jets could have signed Travis Henry who is basically the same back and kept a higher second round pick. With that said Jones is more than good enough to be a stop gap back until we are ready to win the big one. He can Run, pass block and catch passes out of the backfield as well. Hopefully Tangini drafts a Fb and a few Linemen to block for him.

4. KJet84

KJet84 Member

I cant believe people are whining about this..this is an amazing deal. All we did is move back 15 picks in the 2nd round (which wasnt even our pick originally) and got a QUALITY starting RB. Thats one less need we need in the draft and are one step closer. I love it.

5. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Good trade...just a little nervous dealing with his agent.

6. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Drew can be difficult but how can he send Jones back to Chicago after being traded for a bag of footballs, he has to get this done and if nothing else, Drew listens to what his clients want and I'm sure Jones wants this done.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He will get the same money Henry got plus we gave up a low second for a high second. Jones is no better than Henry and he probably is the 4th best starting RB in the division.

I happen to like Washington, I think he has tremendous upside, maybe Tiki Barber upside, I just don't want to see him rot on the bench behind a decent not great back.

There is nothing wrong with this deal, it strengthens us going into the season, but it is far from some outright theft some are talking about it. The guy is getting 12 million guaranteed money to essentially be part of a running back by committee.

8. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I just checked the ESPN draft player grades and they have 61 players with a score of 80 or higher. So by moving to the 63 pick we are right on the fringe of still getting a High qualitity pick. If you figure a couple of teams stretch for picks and we are still going to get value at 63.

Factor in Thomas Jones and this trade is a steal!

9. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

Who cares what mark FAT-Izzaro says? The FAT man is a paid shill for jetsinsider.com. This man is a dinasaur and a di$grace. As far as I'm concerned Mark FAT-izzaro does not exist!

10. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

LOVE IT!!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/284496,CST-SPT-jay06.article

Priceless line in article: "The fans will be in delightful moods after the events of Black Monday, when Thomas Jones was traded to the New York Jets for a clump of lint only hours after Lance Briggs announced he'd rather swallow cyanide than play another season for Ted Phillips and Jerry Angelo."

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Has this been ascertained? I didn't see any numbers in this morning's paper, but I'm assuming you have read a news report on this.

Well, basically, it's actually still too early to know whether or not this is a great deal if we don't know the particulars of his contract. For all intents and purposes, the "trade" side of the deal is almost a wash. It's almost as if the Bears accepted this almost token switching of the 2nd-round picks in order to save face and avoid intense criticism (which I'm sure they're still getting in huge doses today). But the thing that's yet to be determined is the amount of money this dude wants and will play for, so I say the verdict is still out as to how terrific or not-so-terrific this deal is.

But on the surface, it looks like we've acquired somewhat of a running game while still keeping most of our powder dry for Draft Day.

12. winstonbiggs

I don't view this as a negative at all, but this was not some fleecing of the Bears as some have painted it. The fact is The Pats and Dolphins both have gotten better in FA and we have made a trade which gets us better but also costs us some in the upcoming draft.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

You don't view what as a negative?

14. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

Who cares what mark FAT-Izzaro says? The FAT man is a paid shill for jetsinsider.com. This man is a dinasaur and a di$grace. As far as I'm concerned Mark FAT-izzaro does not exist!

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A few things:

1. The two 1,000 yard seasons have been the last two seasons. That's called establishing a performance plateau and a very good one at that.

2. He really does not have a lot of mileage on him at this point. 1,349 carries probably leaves him with a decent number left in the gas tank for us.

3. He's not going to have to tote the rock 300 times for us with Leon Washington here in a 2 back system. Look for him to get 225 carries or so for the next couple of seasons.

4. He gives the Jets a couple of seasons to find the next piece of the RBBC. Washington will get a chance to step up to the main role at about the time we need to sign him to his first non-rookie contract and like Tiki Barber will have a lot less wear and tear on him at that point than you'd think a talented back would.

5. We gave up the equivalent of the 3rd pick of the 3rd round for Jones. That's a decent deal for a back coming off of two 1,000 yard seasons and one who performed very well in the post-season.

The only thing I do not understand is why Chicago chose to give him up right now. They're in the middle of their super bowl push and there's no question that Jones was their best back the last couple of seasons. Now they can probably add Michael Bush with the 37 but Bush and Benson between them are not as solid a guarantee of production as Jones was.

16. winstonbiggs

Benson is going to carry the load next year and they got some value by moving him now.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And if Benson can't carry the load, which is quite possible given his low tolerance for pain, then the Bears have no rushing attack.

I just do not see trading Thomas Jones as the kind of move a serious contender makes when the guy they're planning to play is seen, even by his teammates, as soft.

18. winstonbiggs

Go back to when we had Jordan, we committed to Martin and we got essentially nothing for Jordan because of it. Chicago is absolutely committed to Benson over Jones and they don't want to pay top dollar for 2 starting backs, they made a decission to get some immediate value for him now instead of having an unhappy camper for another year and nothing for him for another year after that.

19. Jets Babe

Jets Babe New Member

this is an EXCELLENT trade for us. we fleeced da bears.

20. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

So we're good right? done deal?