For those defending the 2nd tier signings...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cotch, Mar 3, 2007.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

please man brigg wouldnt have came here anyway. 1 he doesnt like the 3-4 defense. 2. were cheap.

atleast homas and porter want to play and have had success in a 3-4 system.

but i hear what your saying with the age thing... but by signing that 30 yr old lb/de from the dolphins contradicts the age factor.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Porter might be a good signing but not at the numbers people are talking about.

I keep looking at the free agents available to the Jets and it looks like 1996 all over again. Everybody wanted Neil O'Donnell to finally end the Boomer era after the 3-13 nightmare in 1995. Well we got him and what it turned into was a 1-15 collapse because the problem was not the QB it was a lot of other things.

Signing Thomas would have just made our decline to 8-8 next season more bitter. Odds are we're going that direction regardless of the available moves that we make. In that circumstance I'd really like to avoid paying Neil O'Donnell, uh, Adalius Thomas, a huge bonus to grow old on our roster.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Why are we going to 8-8 regardless of who we bring in?

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The factors working against the Jets next season are:

1. Schedule strength. They play second place teams not fourth place teams in their out of division AFC games.

2. Injury luck. The Jets got pretty lucky this year in terms of injuries. Over the long run that tends to even out. It would be a surprise if one of the guys we have pencilled in as a starter somewhere does not wind up on injured reserve. The Jets depth is still kind of weak. Imagine what the Jet's season would look like next year if Mangold or Bryan Thomas or Rhodes got hurt.

3. The competitive AFC East factor. Last year the Bills and Dolphins looked at the Jets as a weak team until they lost to them early on. This year they will be looking at the Jets as the team they need to catch. It's always a bit harder to win with a target on your back.

4. The Chad Pennington odd year factor. Chad has been injured for large parts of the odd years that he was the starting QB for the Jets. Patterns tend to continue.

5. The sophomore slump. Three first year players played huge roles for the Jets last year as rookies. Mangold, Ferguson and Washington contributed heavily to the Jets winning several games more than expected. If any of them has a poor second season the odds are the Jets decline a bit.

6. The new regime's growing pains. The honeymoon is over for Mangini. Next year players will be wise to his tricks and motivational ploys. Many of the players will be getting pushed out the door slowly to be replaced by players who better fit his systems and concepts. How many boxing matches can you show before it gets old? The answer to this is to bring young players in and replace the older jaded ones who don't really fit. After a few years you have your crew and then everything sails along pretty smoothly. Year two is gonna be a bump in the road though.

There are a lot of other things working against the Jets next season also, however I expect the new regime will navigate fairly well and bring the Jets in for a soft landing. 2008 is probably their first really good year when you could project them well into the playoffs.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The schedule could turn out to be tougher but it could turn out to be easier, it's too early to tell. Our sched wasn't as easy as everyone thinks this year.

I agree, we need to stay halthy but as long as we have normal injuries and don't lose half the team like 2 years ago I think we'll be ok.

Who cares how they viewed us? division games are always tough. The Jets got beat up by Buf at home, the Bills aren't goint to think they have to catch the Jets, Miami always thinks they are better than us. I would expect another 4-2 or 3-3 at worst in the div.

i think it all depends on Chad, when he plays most of the year we win and go to the playoffs and when he doesn't we stink. Was last year a fluke that he stayewd healthy or is he another Phil Simms type? If you remember simms was always hurt early in his career and no one thouht he could stay healthy then Simms wound up being very durable.

I have no worries about Nick or Leon. I think we'll bring in another back but use Leon more and he'll be a good player. I do worry about Brick. hopefully they all follow the Rhodes model and become PB type players in year 2(at least the OL) the way Kerry did.

I thought we'd struggle in year 1 b/c of the inexperience of the CS overall, I think we'll be past that but I do agree I worry about where the motivational tricks come from? How many boxing videos can you show them? He's been around parcells and BB his whole career and those guys could still motivate s I would guess he'll have some new tricks up his sleeve to get them through the doldrums.

right now I have no idea what we'll do next year, I am very confident in the CS and FO. if we have a good offseason in regards to the draft, FA and health I'll feel we can do some January damage. It's still tooe arly to tell but it's also too early to expect disappointment either.

6. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I was just going on the actual list he provided. My opinion in general is that it's the 2nd tier guys that truly make the team solid. Plus to me, even when a guy hasn't worked out the past few years it was rare that it truly hurt us cap-wise. Who knows when you find a gem and at the very least you're trying to improve the team. Now if you are constantly picking FAs who don't workout then you are in trouble but we haven't had that issue recently.

7. Arsis

Arsis New Member

you're talking about morons that were signed by our last FO. A FO that had no plan and no idea what they were doing.

8. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

pope???????????
    brain fart please refresh

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Yes we did and the fact is untill we get to a point where we no longer need 3 to 5 hold the fort guys and need 1 or 2 first rate players in FA we will never win a SB. This team is still going to need 3 or 4 of the Hold the fort guys this coming year to field a team.

10. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Monsanto Pope I believe-- he quit the team. Bad signing- bad judge of character I suppose.