Chris Houston CB Arkansas

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Murrell2878, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Exactly.

Ironically people always proclaim "Oh he's just this year's CB work-out warrior who ran a great forty. He has no business in the first round". Yet they fail to realize that many were calling the given individual a first rounder long before the hype. The best part is, people never seem to own up to the "bust/workout warrior" predictions year's after the proclamation, and casually give another player the same label in the following draft class.

The fact is, if a guy makes it into the first round there is a reason for it beyond a blazing forty time. Plenty of CB's who run a 4.3 forty stay on the board till the 4th-5th round. The days of franchise's drooling over the Mike Mamula's and Boss Bailey's of the world are over. Scouts do their homework and if they take a player in the first round, they offer much more than some fancy workout numbers.

2. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Not to pat myself on the back Kurt, lord knows I have my hits and misses like everyone else, but I called this one almost a month ago in this forum when I projected Chris Houston to the Jets at #25 Overall {In a 32 team 2 RD Mock} and even suggested that might be wishful thinking.

Here's what I posted back then, Just about a month ago ...
    Well now we know the answer, he's a legit Bump & Run {man} Corner, stands 5' 11" and he runs a 4.32 :eek:hmy:

#22 Jabba the Jet, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

When I read that Jabba I knew that you and I were thinking the same thing about how this kid was going to put on a show at workouts. Big physical corner with obvious blazing speed, it's hard to imagine guys like Leon Hall staying above him with their obvious limitations, of the top CBs, Houston has by far the best potential. Also, like Kurt said, the labels are getting ridiculous, to the point that guys like Houston get negatively tagged with something that has proven to be fairly positive.

4. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

No doubt about it, he should be the #1 CB off the board, I'll be surprised if he isn't

But if he ever fell to 25, he'd be an absolute steal

#24 Jabba the Jet, Mar 4, 2007
  5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I must say before the Combine, I was underwhelmed, and still feel the same, by the Corners projected in Rd 1........Hall, Revis & McCauley and wanted the Jets to steer clear of this group. Earlier in this thread, I compared Houston to the rise of Dunta in 2004. There is always someone that shows the Nation their skill set at the combine. The overriding factor with Houston, to go with his measurables, he's a flat out football player that has shutdown just about every very good SEC WR. IMO, going into the combine, Houston was a mid 2nd rd pick.

I would love for Houston to be available at 25....but it's probably not going to happen. The only good thing about player's rising, it makes some above the Jets in Rd 1 fall in their lap :)

#25 WW85, Mar 4, 2007
  6. Tight

Tight Active Member

Fyi, hes 5'9 and change not much bigger then josh wilson.

7. Gibril28Wilson

Gibril28Wilson New Member

he's not jumping that high. i think he'll be there at 25 for you guys unless the Pats take him, which i could see happening

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We can agree to disagree!!! Time will tell.......................Dunta Robinson this time 3 years ago was considered an early second rd pick. See me April 28th!!

9. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

And Chris Henry RB from Arizona is this years version; not Chris Houston.

10. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

Very true, Chad jackson's 4.32 at over 200 lbs in any other year would have made him a guaranteed first rounder; early at that. But, rightfully, he was there for the taking in the 2nd round.

Front offices are getting smarter but not exactly getting away from the numbers game. In fact, 1st round busts are expected; they're starting/have been making their mistakes now with 2nd rounders. I guess there's less pressure to live up to a great 2nd round pick.

11. Surge40

Surge40 New Member

Chris Houston has had his good and bad moments last year against the top WRs in the draft. He ate up Jarrett for lunch with his bump and run play(3 catches for 35 I believe). He gave up 10 catches to Sidney Rice and against Meachem gave up two catches and 1 TD. He's a good cover guy that's very physical. Average size for a corner at 5'11'' and 188lbs. Would be great if he was still there at 25.