For those defending the 2nd tier signings...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cotch, Mar 3, 2007.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

hatchette was a no risk signing, he signed a deal w/ almsot no signing bonus. It was no risk, people always point to that deal but that wasn't a bad dal. They took a hcance on a young player w/o investingbig guarnteed money in him. He didn't work out and we let him go.

2. Warrior

Warrior Member

nyjetsrule wrote: i am trusting the penguin... but he's not in charge of the FO thats Tannenbaum...

True, but every draft pick, trade, and FA signing that comes through that door has Mangini's blessing. It's Mr T's additional contribution to lay out the future financial impact/reality each acquisition will have on the team - it's a balancing act that can cause extreme frustration for fans.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The other secont tier guys you listed were bums but Donnie Abraham was a good signing. Andre Dyson came cheap as well.

4. nyjunc

People forget we came off a 4-12 season last offseason, lost Kevin Mawae, John Abraham and Ty Law and signed a bunchnof guys to I think around $6 mil in guaranteed money yet we went out and won 10 games. it's not about big name, high priced FAs.

5. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I'm pretty sure I've see you say those same words to 2 other posters on here. This isn't a rant thread. But you know what-- so many of you are full of shit-- EVERYONE on here wanted A. Thomas. I made a thread about how he was possible a bad signing, and got BASHED. Now ALL those same people are giving me the sour grapes bit time, and its just weak.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

If I see that Adalius signed for like 3 bucks over 3 years then I'll be pissed, but I don't think we're in the market for one veteran player to take us over the top at a premium price.

As for second tier free agents, Eric Barton would qualify as well, and he's done a great job for us. Kendall might even qualify. He got a nice contract, but he didn't break the bank and no one considered him our savior. Dyson was mentioned as was Graham and Donnie Abraham. However, I think second tier free agents should be targeted to provide depth, not start, so I'm not quite as demanding of our signings.

7. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I agree that maybe those guys didn't truly workout though I'd say Cowart and Barrett weren't failures and did decent jobs.

While I agree with your point to some extent, I would point to the Redskins who have basically paid for top tier free agents (and overpaid for some 2nd tier) yet we've pretty much consistently done better then them every year despite our FA lack of spending.

8. nyjunc

We have had a ton of 2nd level FAs work out for us in the last decade:

Donnie Abe, Barton, kendall, Cowart, Darling, Cox, Dwayne Gordon, Rick Lyle, Anthony Pleasant, Josh Evans, Dave Szott, david Barrett, hank Poteat, Anthony Clement, Andre Dyson, Corwin Brown, Ernie Logan, etc...

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

My big problem with this thread is, who are we signing? The only person I think we really missed out on was Daniel Graham who signed with Denver. Every other player since has gotten overpaid.

- Derrick Dockery got a bigger signing bonus then Ogden and Pace
    - Nate Clements is making more then any defensive player in NFL history
    - Eric Steinbach is making close to what Steve Hutchinson got last year
    - Ovie Mughelli got a $5 million signing bonus for a one dimensional blocking fullback

Please tell me who we're missing out on? Other then maybe Adalius Thomas who isn't that big of a loss, the bigger problem is that he went to New England.

10. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

This is an excellent response.

There arent all that many good/great FAs out there, but they will all be expensive. First tier FA's of which I think this FA class had about 4 (Clement, Thomas, etc) usually go to teams that feel like they are just one step away from contending for the SB. This is due to the fact that most FA's are heading into their 5th or 6th year in the league, and while still able to be effective and even great, they arent guys the team is expecting to count on long term. Teams that are one step away sign them to push them over the top. And, the FAs themselves prefer going to teams like this because they give them the best chance of winning a SB in what remains of their career.

Now, Big Cotch, take off the Jets green colored glasses and ask yourself, "Are the Jets one step away from contending for the SB? Do they have a realistic chance of being in the SB next year?"

This is still a team that is in the building phase. Last year was great, but the Jets were not serious contenders for the SB and, though I hate to say it, will struggle to replicate last years record much less be in the SB.

A team like the Jets shouldnt be in the market for the big named 30 year old FA's (I'm not saying that they are old) this year because they will cost too much for the difference they make in wins on a team that is at best a Wild Card contender this year. If the Jets went out and depleted their cap room by signing big named guys like Thomas by the time they whole team was ready to contend those guys might be past their prime and costing the Jets a fortune. The loss of cap room could also handcuff the Jets come draft time by not giving them the ability to trade up to get big named first rounders in this or future drafts.

To me the bottom line is that this is the wrong year for the Jets to break the bank on FAs. What hurts about A. Thomas is not that we didnt get him, but that the Pats did. But you dont go out and pay a guy what A. Thomas would demand at a cost to your team in the long run just to keep him away from a division rival. The Pats clearly feel that they were only a few key positions away from going back to the SB, thats why they are spending this off season.

"2nd Tier" FAs are exactly the right kind of players for a team in the Jets position. They improve the team which gives the coaches a better chance to build a winning tradition, contribute to the maturation of the teams Rookies, and put an entertaining and competitive team on the field all at a price that is affordable. They may not be Pro-Bowlers, but that doesnt mean they weren't worth sigining.

11. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I'm not going to lie, I would have been happy to land Adalius Thomas yesterday and take him from the Pats. But to tell you the truth he is the only guy out there that got signed that is worth the kind of money he is getting. Did you want to give Clements 10 million a year or a bunch of average OL 5 million or whatever they got. I don't care what you say it is obvious that you freaked out yesterday when you saw that we didn't sign anyone. If you didn't you wouldn't have made this thread. A lot of teams didn't get involved at all yesterday and that was the smart move. There are plenty of quality FA's out there for everyone to bid on and the prices will be much lower than yesterday. It is more about getting quality starters and depth than signing that one big guy who takes up all your cap room. The Pats are able to do that because they already have the depth needed to win a Chapionship. When we get to that level in a few years we will be able to make the big splahs in FA.

12. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

no- that's not it, because the guy I want, L davis is still around. The problem is, we are bringing in Duckett, Chris Brown, and Chad Bowens-- those guys are bogus. If it was reported that we are going to meet with Davis, or Dielman, then I wouldn't be worried- but those other guys I mentioned will fall right into the catagory with those other 1-2 year signings we have made in the past that never worked out. I am tired of having the same needs every year, and would like to sure up a spot or two for 4 years or more in this free agency. If we bring in any of those 3 guys, we will be looking for their replacement again next year-- look to last years free agency- we brought in RB, LB, DT, OT, TE, FB, CB--- do those needs look familliar? We still have the same holes because we didn't make the right signings last year. This is what I am trying to avoid again.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We went 12-4 in 1998 with a very good defense that included Bryan Cox, Ernie Logan, Rick Lyle, Anthony Pleasant, Otis Smith and Jerome Henderson - all 2nd tier free agent signings. Our QB? Well that would be Vinny, who was also 2nd tier.

14. KyleJetfan

KyleJetfan Active Member

Testaverde, Cox

15. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Those guys you mentioned are going to command a lot of money and they could also be busts. Leonard Davis has been one of the biggest busts in the league at OT. What makes you think he will suddenly get better with us? You seem to believe that we have a need at every position. However, you also want us to go out and spend money on players who are not "second-tier." When you have as many needs as you think we have you have to sign players who are not in that second tier.

16. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

All I want is a player would would be a starter for more than half the teams in the NFL, who will stay in place for 4 years or more.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The draft is in April so you have some time before you commit Hara-Kari because that is where you mainly find four years starters better than league average.

18. Br4d

If you want 4 years or more then you want a draftee not a free agent. Free agents already have a lot of wear and tear on them and expecting one to last 4 years is wishful thinking. It happens sometimes but not as often as having one of your draftees turn into a 4+ year asset.

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Colvin has been a pat 4-5 yrs now.. so its possible to get a long term solution out FA.

20. Br4d

Well Colvin was 25 when the Pats signed him. You wouldn't have heard a peep out of me if Briggs hit the market and the Jets bowled him over with an offer.

Thomas is 29. He'll be 30 next season. He's 3 weeks older than Colvin...