For those defending the 2nd tier signings...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cotch, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

hahaahahhhahaha Worst rebuttal of the year hands down.

2. Long & Winding Rhode

The Colts and Pats got their QBs by DRAFTING them. And the Bears did sign Muhummed. You're right. What was his impact this year? 863 yds and 5 tds. Far from stellar. And you're proving the point you don't want to be proving by bringing up Thomas Jones. Before he went to the Bears he never broke 650 yards in a season. There's a perfect example of a second tier guy working out beautifully.

I can use other examples than the Pats and Colts too (b/c for some reason having a great qb exempts you from the example?).

Chargers. Bengals. Steelers. Denver. Phili. Do none of them count either?

Anyway. What I'm trying to do is not say that I wouldn't want 1 stand out guy. What is ridiculous is the atmosphere that we missed the biggest FAs so the offseason is a bust. There are plenty of diamonds in the rough, and I, for one, trust Tangini to find them.

3. Long & Winding Rhode

All right. So the Martin one may have been a bit of hyperbole on my part. (Perhaps. Haha.)

4. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I never said I wanted 1 big signing--but we have the $$ to spend, and if we get FA's like we have in the last few years, it will be pathetic, and will never lead us to where we need to be. This thread is about the bad 2nd tier signings in the past, that we are still trying to replace today. There is middle ground between 8 year 80 million dollar contracts, and 4 year 3 million dollar contracts, and that is what I am hoping we find. besides all this, I'm sure if we landed any one of those contracts today, you'd have a hard on right now.

5. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Dude, you're acting as though I don't want to draft anyone-- the draft has been my favorite day of the year for like 7 years now. Tell me that every team you listed isn't typically more active than we are in FA-- we are always the least active team, and it sucks. you know you would have a huge boner if we signed one of these guys today.

6. Long & Winding Rhode

And, alas, it seems we are not so far apart. I agree with all of what you have stated above. I was apparently just taking it to the extreme. The 8 year 80M is uncalled for. As is 7 and 49M for a guard. (and 3M for a FB.) There is a middle ground. You are correct. However, it usually requires waiting out the beginning of FA, and thus the big name signings, before you can find that middle ground. As was put so well in another post today, the supply and demand on the market right now is way out of whack. By waiting, it will even out and there will be our middle ground.

Here's to many more years of building to the draft and suplementing with quality, but not overpaid FAs. :beer:

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but I was a fan of the following players listed....

Sam Cowart, Reggie Tongue, Lance Legree, Jay Fieldler, Kevin Barlow, Tim Dwight, David Barrett... Some are questionable, but I feel they all served an important role for us at one point or another. Some smaller than others.

With that said...

Last year was the first year as a CS. Cut them some slack, it was not all bad for a young CS. How bout we wait to be a critic until after the F/A ends? Just a thought... Hell I would be happy if a lot of people on this board ATLEAST gave it a freaking week.

Maybe we should get Snyder over here to please you? Perhaps his big bank roll with little production would service your needs well? Just checking...

#27 IIMeanDeanII, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

there's no reason to put yourself in cap hell for these FAs...this is an AWFUL FA class...i'm not going to argue that those players worked out but if you think Fiedler was a bad pickup, you're mistaken. if you think Barrett was a bad pickup, you're also mistaken. no one said we're going to grab these guys and they're gonna be stars...that's why they're not stars to begin with...if you compare big time signings to no name signings, obviously the big names will be better...that's just stupid to think anything else...but in the long run, you build through the draft and you try to put a competitive team on the field without screwing yourself over for the future (which is what big FA signings do)

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yah that, and this is a team game. Top talented stars in a bad F/A class to begin with, dont always make for the best team players.

You can take the BEST players in the NFL and put them on the same team without even scouting their play style. Then you take the 2nd tier guys, but scout their roles, and find the best fitted team players, then put them on the same team. Who do you think would win? My money goes on the "other" guys.

10. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

what, is it impossible to have a top tier guy fit into our system now?

11. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

In addition to Kendall, on the current roster I'd say Andre Dyson and Eric Barton were excellent second-tier signings. Barton was one of the leaders two years ago on an excellent defense, and I think his play was extremely under-rated this year. I also am in the minority of thinking that Barrett will be a solid starting CB for the Jets next year and has done very well for the Jets when healthy.

Anthony Clement was also a very good second-tire signing last year, who apparently is looking for a pay raise. He doesn't meet your criteria because he lasted only one year, but he may end up coming back.

That said, contrary to popular opinion on this site, I think the Pats have made it their business to not only stock their team with cost-effective players and depth, but also making one big-time move each year (excluding last year). Colvin, Harrison, trading for Dillon, now Adalius Thomas. That's how you elevate your team. When Parcells was the Jets HC, they became who they were by getting name players like C-Mart, Mawae, and Cox and building the team around them.

Am I disappointed the Jets didn't make Nate Clements the highest paid defensive player in history, or didn't sign Dockery to his enormous contract? No, but I do expect more than just second-tier additions this year. When you pick in the top five, like last year, that is your big-time pickup. Let's see what happens...

12. Francis_Cole

Francis_Cole Active Member

Are you saying all those signing were failures, even forgetting the fact some were signed as role players. I think you have unrealistically high standards if so :)

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Seriously, there is always someone who has to start the anxiety parade on the first day of FA. Have a little patience, young Jedi.

14. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

David Barrett is certainly a solid 2nd tier signing. He has been an okay starter for a few years now barring a few injuries. I wouldn't call Andre Dyson a huge signing and he was the 2nd best player in our secondary. A lot of guys we signed weren't meant to have big statistical impacts. Like Matt Chatham and Brad Kassell were solid all year long on special times. Plus Chatham became like the spokesman of the team. Then you also have Clement who was nothing short of a miracle last season. Noone expected anything from him and he produced. He was no Johnathan Ogden but he was solid which was better than expected. Brandon Moore is another guy who was maybe even a 3rd tier signing and he started all 16 games for 3 straight years now. Thats a pretty big list of names right there. No, none of them are studs who go out and get noticed on every play, but without those guys who knows where the Jets would have been this year.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm did you ever consider that the NYJs are non winners since 01/12/69 cause they take on players like you mentioned in your post?

16. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

All of which makes me wonder why you are still a Jets fan and not on some other team's bandwagon....

Not sure if you can even see this, as you may have jumped off a building since your last post...

17. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Wow Champ i never thought of it that way. Hmm...i feel enlightened.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Donnie Abe, Barton, kendall, Cowart, Darling, Cox, Dwayne Gordon, Rick Lyle, Anthony Pleasant, Josh Evans, Dave Szott, david Barrett, hank Poteat, Anthony Clement,...

19. Warrior

Warrior Member

It's not about the individuals...it's not about the stats.... we can all somewhat agree that final individual stats mean nothing... they are simply numbers in a vacuum without context that do not tell the whole story of how the individual contributed to the TEAM. This is particularly true in football. Kimo's contribution or whoever's cannot be solely judged on the numbers. Mangini knows who are THE players and contributor's to the team. Signing big time names and creating potential future team financial strains is not the way they do business. This is a long term plan and despite what some of you say the Jets will be a better team next year - they have kept a good core of players. Continuity is a key ingredient in the development of this team both from a coaching and player perspective. Mangini's success last year is magnified by the fact that he handpicked a completely new staff unlike the luxury Beli and Parcells had who always had their boys in transition. Mangini is something special.

Stop the Panic...Trust the Penguin.

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

i am trusting the penguin... but he's not in charge of the FO thats Tannenbaum...

That said with all of the money we had this year, i would have liked to see us aggressively pursue a big name but alas thats not happening. now i would like to see us at least pretend we are interested in someone other than Chris brown... and the only reason i know that is because the main page told me they were looking into him....

In the past we have had many successful second tier Fa's and way more than our share of failures. BTW you forgot Matthew Hattchette.

But in the spirit of good second tier's how about Wayne Chrebet.

some will say how is Wayne a second tier FA?

Well i say he wasn't drafted so he obviously wasn't a top tier player and we signed him post draft as an UDFA meaning he was an FA so thats my argument for Wayne being one of our best second tier signings ever.