What would Patrick Willis play in the 3-4?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jasonjets, Feb 7, 2007.

1. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

ILB or OLB?

2. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

He projects well at either, which is exactly the reason that's the guy that I want with #26.

3. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

both, most likeley

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I don't think he'd be a great fit in the 3-4. He's not overly big or strong (6-2 240). He would be OK in the 3-4 if he had a bigger body next to him, but not Jonathan Vilma.

He seems a little small and probably wouldn't make a great speed rusher either. I think he's a fine fit as a 4-3 OLB or ILB.

He's a hell of a player and prospect, but he probably doesn't fit our scheme. Plus, I think he'll go between 12-14 to either Buffalo, Carolina or St. Louis.

5. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

Pat Willis will most likely be a Colt IMO, i think he will fall that far, IMO

6. JetFanInPA

He's a hell of a player. I think he'll go between 12-14 to any one of those teams. I really don't think he'll make it to #26, as Scott Wright thinks.

7. MikeSLTJ23

I don't really follow. You don't have to be that big for the 3-4. You put him in the middle with Vilma and now you have two tackling machines. Personally, I'd rather put him as an OLB to replace Hobson and use him as an edge rusher. I think he's the prototype player we should be looking for because of his versatility. In a 4-3, no question, he's much better off as a MLB. But I believe the 3-4 allows teams to use his versatility.

8. JetFanInPA

Both of them are certainly great tacklers, but normally there is at least one bigger ILB in the 3-4. Vilma isn't especially big or strong (6-2 230), but he's a great tackler. IMO, Willis is more like a Vilma type. I thought Barton did a fine job at ILB last season and Hobson also fits the 3-4 (Same with Kassell and Schlegal). We're pretty good at ILB IMO.

As for Willis as a speed rusher, he isn't known as a sack artist, which is what we need. He might fit OK for all I know, but from what I've seen/read, he's a 4-3 guy.

A nice speed rushing OLB we could pickup would be Anthony Spencer, Dan Bazuin, Lamarr Woodley, Jarvis Moss etc...

Plus, Willis is a hell of a player and I think he'll go between 12-14 to one of those three teams.

9. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

naahh, IMHO opinion, he wil fall, not taking anything away from him, or your Draft Knowledge, but i just think he might fall, i probably will be wrong, but he might very well fall

10. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

He may fall but there is no question that he should go in the middle of the round as I think he is as good a prospect as Vilma was coming out. I agree with JetsinPA that he should go to a team like Carolina, but you are right that he could slide if he makes it past that section.

11. CanadianJetsFan

CanadianJetsFan New Member

OLB, simple as that

12. JetFanInPA

Why do you say that? He's a hell of a middle linebacker.

13. MikeSLTJ23

If Willis falls to us, I really can't see us passing up on him, only because he's so versatile. You draft a player that can potentially fill multiple needs. Hobson and Barton can both be upgraded, so you draft a guy like this and see if he's an upgrade at either position, rather than picking up two LBs.

14. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

true, he is, the guy hits like he was shot out of a cannon, but my reasoning, is inexplainable, i just have that gut feeling, honestly i wouldn't expect anyone to agree with me, as i have no proof or reasoning

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I doubt Willis is going to fall to the #25, he's done nothing to hurt his stock. A lot of Mock Drafter's feel linebackers drop in Rd 1, which is some what true.
    I still feel..........Buffalo, Carolina, & the Rams (early Teens) is where Willis will be taken. If Willis fell to the mid 20's.......The Pats would be insane to pass him up at #24. The Jets have no shot at Willis.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

no way he falls to the late 1st. if he does he'll be picked before us thats for sure.

no way this guy can play OLB. specially not in the 3-4. he could adapt to ILB but hes a prototype 4-3 MLB IMO.

id be surprised if he fell past 20 but if he does hed be gone before we could get him.

17. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

I don't know why people have a problem with Hobson, he had a very good year at OLB. In fact, I bet we resign him to a long term deal this offseason along with Cotchery. What we do need is a pass rushing OLB like Bazuin, Woodley, Moss, Moore, etc... Hobson, in my opinion, would fit best inside next to Vilma, however he is more than adequite on the outside.

18. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Id be shocked if he falls out of the top 20, let alone top 15...Hes THAT good.

19. JetFanInPA

Yeah that's about right. The problem is we have too many solid ILBs. Vilma and Barton played fine IMO. Kassell is a solid backup and special teamer and we still have a 3rd round pick in Schlegal.

20. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

I don't think you can ever have too many solid players at a position. What I would like most is for us to draft a pass rushing OLB and rotate him with Hobson and Thomas on the outside.