GMs who would swap their starting QB for CHAD...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Russ Reign, Feb 7, 2007.

1. JetsLookingforDWare

Could not agree more. It's something I've hated watching this past year. Thankfully Cotch and Coles are both amazing after the catch.

2. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

The JEts offense is unique. They actually base their passing game around throwing the ball backwards. And it's a very smart concept. The corners can't guard behind our receivers or it will be an offsides penalty! Brilliant!

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

thats just an opinion based on how strong you feel chad's arm is..the point of the matter is this...chad hits his receivers in stride most of the time, and regardless of how fast you think AJ is, you cant forget that we have a man named Coles who happens to be one of the fastest receivers in the open field...to say Penny would never hit AJ in stride is just ignorant...he would be able to hit him in stride, just like any receiver in the NFL if they werent farther then 50 yards...how many QB's do you know that throw the deep ball with success more then 50% of the time, other then Peyton? and with a receiver like AJ, and of his size, im pretty sure he would be able to hit him...think of all the times he has bailed out David Carr with a miraculous catch

4. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

What good is a QB that can hit a WR in stride (in other words, make a big exciting play) when they then go and make a dumb mistake like throwing a pick late in the game? David Carr is the king of the turnover at the worst possible time. Even guys like Hasselbeck and Bulger, who are more talented than Chad, make more dumb mistakes than him.

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

this is true, i would rather have chad behind center with 2 minutes to go down by 4 then say, Bulger, Hasslebeck, Eli.....

Smart Qb's are underrated...and the way Chad carried this team in the last year, i dont see how anyone can argue differently

6. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

You really went out on a limb saying you would rather have Favre a definate HOF and in the top 10 historically. I can play that game too. I would rather have Montana, Elway, or Marino.:wink:

7. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I think he was saying that he would prefer today's Brett Favre over Chad, not the Favre of 10 years ago. Which is ludicrous.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i would agree that i would rather have today's chad over today favre..yesterdays favre? no question

9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Ok. I will give you this one Lol!

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Um, I would actually prefer Farve of today over Pennington. The mere fact that he can throw the ball more than 30 yards on a spiral would open up the running game.

11. greenhorse

greenhorse Member

i remember the days when chad was compared to other good qb's in the league.brady,manning,there were even comparisons to montana..now jets fans have heated debates on wheather he is better than grossman or carr.arguably the 2 worst qb's in the league..too funny...i love chad,but he is done...he is the ONLY starting qb in the league that CANNOT throw the 12-15 yrd out which is an essential play to keep defenses honest..defenses do what they want,when they want against chad pennington because of his lack of arm strength.it's my opinion that cp's intangibles and football smarts are up there with payton mannings.but i would not want p manning playing qb for the ny jets if he had an arm like chad...it's time to move on.....

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

If the Jets can't keep defenses honest, then how did they win 10 games?

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Good coaching, play calling, and explosive (and seriously being underrated in this thread) playmakers. And a defense that everyone here is underrating (the second half version at least) in defense of the almighty QB.

I respect the sh*t out of Chad for coming back from two shoulder surgeries like he has. That kind of thing is near impossible. I respect that he lasted a whole season and managed the game well enough for us. What I don't respect is people who keep saying "Chad got us into the playoffs." No he didn't. He was the QB on a playoff team. He was not a top tier QB, and I would never trust him in the red zone...something you should be able to do with your QB. I dont' see how the fact that the TEAM made the playoffs that Chad should get all the credit and is therefore the QB for the long term. He's a good guy, a smart QB, but I'm not sure this is the guy for the future. Hell, he might have just been a little bit rusty this whole season, and we might see the Chad of old come back. I'm not counting on that though, and I'm really hoping for a QB change by '10.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I have been told herman Edwards was a horrible coach, how did we win 10 games w/ Chad as our QB when Herm was the coach? How is it we tend to win when Chad plays and tend to lose when he doesn't? Winning 10 this year had more to do w/ a healthy Chad than anything else.

15. greenhorse

greenhorse Member

great coaching,preparation and great defense over the second half of the season..plus they beat all the terrible teams they were suposed to beat.would u want manning playing for the jets if he had an arm like cp??????

16. KSJets

KSJets New Member

So they're afforded the luxury of getting the "right pieces in place" but Chad isn't?

17. JetsLookingforDWare

I wonder if being down on Chad as QB of the future has anything to do with the fact that two surgeries on your shoulder is going to take away from already average physical skills.

Chad was HEALTHY under Herm, and even as a QB with an average arm he was damn good. Now? He's got a below average arm, he's scary in the red zone, and he's not getting any younger.

He's more interception prone now. He's a QB who can dump it off behind him, or 5 yards in front of him and the WRs or whoever does the hard work. That hurts the shelf life on our WRs, and as they are our biggest strength on offense...I'd rather not.

I'm not saying he should be gone next year, I'd love to give him next year to see if last year was just rust. Still, considering he'll be 32 in '09, and we're getting to be a young franchise...a new face at QB could be refreshing.

18. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Out of curiosity, what QBs do you trust in the red zone?

I think a lot of the Chad haters have many valid points. But my stance is that, out of the 32 NFL teams, he's a lock for the top 16 without question. That's my opinion, obviously. But it just seems to me like the Chad haters blame him when the Jets lose and, when the Jets win, they say it was in spite of Chad. Sometimes I wonder if some of the people on this board cringe when Chad throws a TD.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think more INts has more to do w/ him coming back from 2 surgeries and learning a new, more daring offense. Next year he'll be coming off playing a full season and his arm should be stronger(remember at the beginning of the year his arm was very strong but he wore down) and he'll know this offense better than Schottenheimer or any coach now that's he's played in it and has had a year to study it.

20. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

We had more big plays on offense this year than ever before under Chad. Some of that was playcalling, but not all of it. I don't see Chad's arm as being any weaker this year than in the past. Early in the season it was better than it was in 2002, 2003, 2004, and it wasn't even close. He was making throws I've never seen him make before.

As the season went on he wasn't throwing the ball as well. Not sure if his mechanics got sloppy, his arm got tired, or both. But even then it wasn't worse than it was in the past.

The deep out isn't his strength, but he can make the throw. Guys who can't make the throw don't get drafted. They don't make it to the NFL, and they certainly don't have the success he has had.