That last hit Chrebet took vs. the Chargers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Just wondering who it was that hit Chrebet that very last time against the Chargers. You hear alot of guys talk about how there's nothin better than knockin a guy out with a hit, but I wonder if the person that hit Wayne, who certainly knows what they did and that it was the last hit Chrebet ever took, feels about about how it was and what the ultimate result was.

Anybody know who it was that hit him?

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

can't remember the player but I'll never forget the spaced out look on his face. You knew it was over when you saw that. One of my favorite all-time Jets.

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

chargers??? are you sure thats who we played?

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it wasn't the hit itself it was wayne coming down and his head slamming to the turf that knocked him out.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He took some shots in the Jaguars game, dropped a TD that would of won it.

(Pennington would of led the Jets back to a victory with a torn rotator cuff)

My posts the last couple days are a cycle that all lead to Chad. :)

6. Ten

Ten Active Member

Yeah you can't really blame the player,he was trying to force an incomplete pass on 3rd down.

I hate to say this,but If Wayne ends up with health problems,he can only blame himself.He knew coming back after umpteen concussions is a big risk to his health,Herm didn't force him to play.Perhaps the league should stop players going onto the field if they have so many concussions,but Wayne really shouldn't of played that last season.

7. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I think it was Donnie Edwards but I am not sure. After you get two concussions you can basically can get a concussion from moving your head to fast forward or jerking it back ,the brain is no longer attached to the skull lining; its separated in spots and can move inside you head (Your Brain) with a lot less force then would take under healthy conditions. From what I understand is Chrebet Still has symptoms that bother him and take away from his quality of life.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yeah, when guys get too many concussions, usually the last one isn't a big hit at all. Al Toon's last play looked like a harmless play over the middle where he just hit the ground wrong in Denver, kind of like Chrebet.

9. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Chrebet was one hit away from ending his career anyway, im sure theres not much guilt flowing around

10. Jet_Fan_in_New_England

It was Jerry Wilson that hit Crebet. Found it in this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/oconnor/2005-11-06-keeping-score_x.htm

"On third and five from the San Diego 15, Jets down five and the place rocking with less than two minutes to play, Bollinger found Chrebet near the Chargers' sideline for a six-yard gain. As Jerry Wilson drove Chrebet to the ground, the back of the receiver's helmet bounced hard off the FieldTurf, tempering the first-down celebration."

Replays showed Chrebet on his back, his eyes locked in a catatonic gaze. "You just kind of hold your breath," Testaverde said, "hoping he was OK, hoping it wasn't a concussion."

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Another player could have breathed on him and caused a concussion at that point.

When a person gets a concussion or two in succession they get progressively easier and easier to get. Chrebet is or was at that point. Take it from experience a blow to the head that at one time (presumably when younger) you would ordnarilly laugh off can be pretty serious.

Not to be a doom sayer but if you look at any player that has concussion syndrome, one thing is clear their playing career is in the red zone. Here are a few examples..........

1.) LaFontaine- His last concussion was so inoccuous, he ran into his own player. It looked completely harmless. Yet he could barely function for six months after ward.

2.) Chrebet- as above

3.) Scott Stevens- same

You guys get the point.

12. michaelkmcneil

michaelkmcneil New Member

That was brutal.

13. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

The hit and him hitting the ground are directly related. If he wasn't hit he wouldn't have slammed his head into the ground.

14. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder about Coles.

15. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

jesus f(*^N CHRIST/////what THE %$#@!!! ever

16. JetPod80

JetPod80 New Member

The last hit Chrebet took

Dispite how ever many hits that Chrebet took to the head I can say for sure that I loved watching him play. He did so much for the Jets and thats what we need to remember about him. Not how he should have stopped playing a while ago. I will always love Wayne Chrebet and what he did for the Jets, so thats what I will remember...not who hit him last or how he's guilty for what happened to him.

17. Allentown Ernie

Wide receivers take a beating more than any other player. Going up for the ball,over the middle and the slamming down of the head on the field. Pro football is a very risky business for the wideouts. I feel sorry for Chrebet however it is an ugly,risky part of the game. Allentown Ernie.

18. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

this was my only game as a jet (so far) and i was right near that end zone and he took a beating....you heard the smack when he hit the ground and it was the chargers we played coz tomlinson scored like 4 td's

19. harts24

harts24 Member

HELLO this is football,you get hit,chrebet should not have been in the game to begin with.He was a shell of his former self and has noone to blame but himself.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I met somebody out here in Vegas that did some work on Chrebet's house and apparnetly at times he is diificult to understand and he slurs his speech.