Do we even really need a OLB??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

A lot of people here have a problem with cutting Barton or not starting Barton next Season. i think he was pretty solid. The Jets are going to extended Hobsons Contract so he is practically a starter. So if we Draft a OLB, Hobson doesnt start or Barton doesnt start. i dont think the jets would sign Hobson to an extention and not have him start. I dont really think we need a OLB. if we get one Hobson sits out witch i dont think will happen, But if we cut barton or trade him Hobson moves to ILB and the guy we draft plays in hobsons old spot. Hobson had 6 sacks last season. Thomas had 8.5 and barton had 4.5. Hobson isnt the best pass rushing OLB but he did pretty good and will only improve. i dont think a pass Rushing LB is a need at this point. i dont think LB is a need period. Vilma will only improve as well.

2. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

The thing with the 3-4 is you can never have enough quality Linebackers because basically, that is the reason you play the scheme, to get your best players on the field. So for that reason I don't think you can say linebacker is not a need. Also, the most effective 3-4 schemes have potential all-stars at 2 positions: Nose Tackle and Outside Linebacker (Shawne Merriman/Jamal Williams, Joey Porter/Casey Hampton, etc.). Getting franchise players in at those two spots can transform our entire squad.

3. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

Barton should be cut, or at least restructured after the 2007 season because of his inflated base salary of 3.2 million in 2008. He is already 30.

I am also of the opinion that Hobson's future should probably be as an ILB. I think he will flourish in that role. He is good at shedding blockers and tackling, while his speed is not quite what it should be for an OLB in a 3-4.

Lastly, I think one of the main reasons people want an OLB is that there are about 10 in the draft that can help us. Woodley, Spencer, Moses, Abiamiri, Bazuin, Moore, etc. will all offer us a way to get a starting OLB 'on the cheap.'

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not at all sure the Jets are extending Hobson's contract. We'll see what they choose to do in the run-up to free agency in that regard.

I'll guarantee you that if he wants a top dollar contract he's already on his way out the door.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

You summed it up perfectly. I for one think that Barton gets his walking papers or restructures. If he doesn't restructure it would be too costly just to keep him around for depth purposes. Hobson on the inside, a true pass rushing OLB on the outside ala Woodley (won't be there at 26), coupled with an upgraded line via a true NT, possibly Dslob to the outside, would represent a tremendous upgrade for the defense of this team.

If we can eek out a FA CB signing, someone who can flourish in a #1 or #2 role, we are pretty much set for the foreseeable future.

6. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

Thanks.

To further BradwaySux's argument on Hobson, I can see us drafting both a 3-4 OLB and a 3-4 ILB because this draft has a lot of LBs that can help us, with the idea that Hobson will walk after 2008. Also, depending on our total FA signings, we could probably get at least a 4th round compensatory pick for him.

Looking at comparable players (EJ Henderson on the Vikings, Daryl Smith of the Jaguars), Hobson is going to be asking for 25/5 with 8+ mil SB, and I don't really think he is worth that, especially not as an OLB.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

This is my thinking.

A dominating OLB who can rush the passer and stop the run is a must have. Thomas does that decent for us, but the best 3-4 defenses usually have one dominant linebacker than you KNOW will rush the passer if he has to and when he does watch it. Think along the lines of a Wimbley...Ware...McGinest...guys who can do it all but the thing that scares teams is their monster ability to rush the passer.

Is it a bit of a luxury? Maybe. Still...if we're playing a 3-4 its my favorite luxury to have.

8. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I thought Barton played ILB this year...

9. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

I'm with Koz, this is exactly how I feel. Hobson is playing out of position, Barton is too slow, too old, and too expensive.

And you're right--not only is this draft rich in OLB talent, it's rich in value OLB talent. In other words, we could get a guy like Anthony Spencer or Jarvis Moss at #25, whereas players like that might go in the top 15 in any other draft...and then there are guys like Bazuin, Woodley, and Abiamiri--first-round talent in other years--who we could easily get in the 2nd. This is a great year for 3-4 teams who need outside 'backers.

10. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I feel safe in that our coaches are not incompetent and will make the right personnel move. The simple answer to J Vlma's struggles and the rest of the line backing core is no pressure up front! 3-4 alignment, 4-3 alignment it didn’t matter. Think about how Vrabel and Brusci get there play's for New England. The tackles occupy a large amount of space and demand double teams which allow the Line backers to Loiter, roam, spy, drop back, ECT.
    (We basically are copying the New England Defensive format)

11. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Until the Jets solve their interior line positions, I think Vilma needs to be outside, where he can use his speed. I also agree that Hobson might be better inside because he's not that fast.

One thing I love about Hobson, however, is his surehanded tackling.

Like Mo Lewis before him, once Hobson gets his hands on a guy, the guy goes down.

12. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

no way barton should be cut he has played awesome for us when he was out hurt our d sucked last year. he had no drop of in his play. we need a 3rd down speed rusher

13. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

i do think we need that Tweener guy thats big enough to get down on the line 3-4 end and then be able to drop off back into coverage and have enough speed to be out there.

14. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

Barton did play ILB not OLB. Because the 4th LB, Thomas, is technically an OLB/DE it gets confusing.

The team extending Hobson's contract is not a done deal. He played well in the 3-4 system, but they dont have to do anything with him this year. They may wait to see who is available in the draft, keep Hobson for next year while the rookie gets his feet wet, and then let Hobson walk. I dont think he will be moving inside next season.

Barton did play well near the end of the season, but not well enough to be an every down player in Mangini's eyes because Kassell subbed in for him several times a game. Barton is going to be 30 and is one of the highest paid players on the team. Do you want to pay him the money he will make to only play 3-4s of the time? I just dont see bringing Barton back next season when the team will still have a cheap player like Kassell -- who Mangini obviously likes -- and a rookie the team drafted specifically to play ILB in the 3-4 (Schlegel) and the amount of money Barton will earn.

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Hobson is a good blitzer. He is not a speed rusher on the outside. That is what they need. Hobson blitzes more like a Vrabel. I would like to see him take Barton's spot on the inside. He is a big dude and due to his lack of speed better suited in there. I am not a big Barton fan. I am still mad at him for that dumb penalty in the playoffs in SD a few years back. Would like to get a beast for the outside spot. Then you have Thomas on one side and a beast on the other. Suddenly the pass rush looks a lot scarier.

16. michaelkmcneil

michaelkmcneil New Member

Yes! Linebackers are the most important part of the defense.