My 1 round mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rambo13, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Code:
    Pick	NFL	Prospect	Position	College
    1	OAK	JaMarcus Russell	QB	L.S.U.
    2	DET	Brady Quinn	QB	Notre Dame
    3	CLE	Adrian Peterson	RB	Oklahoma
    4	TB	Calvin Johnson	WR	Georgia Tech
    5	ARI	Joe Thomas	OT	Wisconsin
    6	WAS	Alan Branch	DT	Michigan
    7	MIN	Gaines Adams	DE	Clemson
    8	HOU	Reggie Nelson	S	Florida
    9	MIA	Jamaal Anderson	DE	Arkansas
    10	ATL	Amobi Okoye	DT	Louisville
    11	SF	Dwayne Jarrett	WR	Southern Cal
    12	BUF	Leon Hall	CB	Michigan
    13	STL	LaRon Landry	S	L.S.U.
    14	CAR	Patrick Willis	LB	Ole Miss
    15	PIT	Levi Brown	OT	Penn State
    16	GB	Marshawn Lynch	RB	California
    17	JAC	Adam Carriker	DE	Nebraska
    18	CIN	Jarvis Moss	DE	Florida
    19	TEN	Ted Ginn Jr.	WR	Ohio State
    20	NYG	DeMarcus Tyler	DT	N.C. State
    21	DEN	Aaron Ross	CB	Texas
    22	DAL	Dwayne Bowe	WR	L.S.U.
    23	KC	Sidney Rice	WR	South Carolina
    24	NE	Quentin Moses	LB	Georgia
    25	NYJ	Robert Meachem	WR	Tennessee
    26	PHI	Paul Posluzny	LB	Penn State
    27	NO	Lawrence Timmons	LB	Florida State
    28	NE	Marcus McCaulley	CB	Fresno State
    29	BAL	Justin Blalock	OG	Texas
    30	SD	Michael Griffin	S	Texas
    31	CHI	Arron Sears	OT	Tennessee
    32	IND	Daymeion Hughes	CB	California

Still a little rough but comments would be nice.
    disclaimer: I personally don't want Meachem but saw him as the best available player for our team.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If we have a good free agency period, I see no reason with getting a big deep threat like Meachem.

I have the Top 5 falling the same way. Millen won't pass on a franchise QB and Cleveland won't pass on a franchise RB that would complete their offense.

I don't like Atlanta taking Okoye. They'll go to the secondary first IMO, and they have some young DTs on the roster. Maybe DE would be better. Kerney may become a free agent and Abe played, what, 4 games last year?

DeMarcus Tyler probably won't be anywhere near Round 1.

Hell of a steal for New England at #24. That sounds about right, they get to him one pick before we would.

Overall a nice job. :up:

#2 JetFanInPA, Feb 6, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  3. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Thank you for the feedback. I have a hunch that Bobby Petrino is going to take his former captain with his first round pick. He knows how good Amobi Okoye is better than anyone else in the league and the Falcons do have a DT need. The ends are good and Coleman is one of the best, but they have been rotating guys through that other tackle spot yearly. I agree though that the secondary will be a valid option. I think Jimmy Williams provides them the flexibility to take a safety or a corner because he can play both positions adequately. I think they have a good chance of taking Landry or Nelson their to round out their secondary. The only other position I would think they would consider would be Offensive Line, but unless they take Levi Brown, they are reaching and even that would be a little stretch.

4. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

One more thing I noticed is it seems there are only about 20 or so impact players in this draft who would be good first round picks in my opinion. Let's hope some teams reach for needs and allow us to get a player who can make a difference.

5. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

I may be in the minority, but I REALLY want to see this team draft a WR in round one, whether it be Rice, Meachem, or Bowe. I think adding a deep threat like one of those three would add a dimension to the offense that we had back in 2002 with Coles, Chrebet, and Moss. If you could combine a Rice with Coles and Cotchery, we could have one of the best passing attacks in the league. In effect, that would open up more holes for the running game.

Plus, with guys like Spencer, Abiamiri, and Woodley likely to be there for our first 2nd round pick, I don't think it would be too much of a reach to add a true playmaker to this offesne that so desperately needs one.

6. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

overall its a nice mock, i believe that the lions pass on quinn[although i do realize that Millen is a tool] and draft joe thomas..
    I also think the jets go with Carriker

7. JetFanInPA

If we can sign a couple of good free agents (An OL, DE and maybe a CB), I would be 100% behind getting a big WR such as Meachem, Bowe or Rice.

Maybe something like this...

1: Robert Meachem WR
    2a: Justin Blalock OG/OT
    2b: Dan Bazuin OLB/DE or Lamaar Woodley OLB/DE/Victor Abiamiri OLB/DE
    3a: Jonathan Wade CB Tennessee...

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree that the Jets could use a big wideout but I can't see them making that pick with Posluzny still on the board.....

9. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Just a question I was wondering from this; what does Posluzny project to in the 3-4? An OLB or an ILB? I mean, is he the Victor Hobson type who's probably better suited as an interior man in the 3-4 while is a better OLB in the 4-3?

I don't really know much about the guy other than that he's one of the best to come out of Penn State's LB corps ever yet no one here really talks about him much.

10. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I think you are right, you are in the minority. I am also in the minority however. I think our offense screams the need for a big body at either WR or TE. I'm not saying we need a Calvin Johnson type to be our lead guy, but someone like Vincent Jackson of SD to get jump balls in the end zone for us. Let's be honest, Pennington throws with a soft touch and we have no one to go get it. Thanks for the feedback.

11. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Thanks, I know a lot of people have Detroit passing on Quinn for Thomas and although it may be the right choice in the end, I just can't see them doing it. I think everything that has been said has been smoke and mirrors but on the other hand, they aren't going to fool anyone, because no one is trading up for Quinn or Russell and even if someone leap frogs them they will be guaranteed at least one of the top two QBs. If I remember correctly they signed their left tackle to a new deal last year and even if he is not the best in the league, I personnally can't see them passing up a leader like Quinn. Some devil's advocate points are Martz never needed a top QB to win, as he dominated with Warner and Bulger and Detroit might still be snake bitten from the Harrington incident even though it was mostly the organization's and the fan's fault that he didn't succeed.

As far as Adam Carriker goes, I would love for him to be in New York but as you can see, I don't think he will last that long, especially not after the senior bowl.

12. JetFanInPA

Carricker's moving up the draft boards. He had a great Senior Bowl week and will probably easily go Top 20... Unless he runs a terrible 40 time by some chance.

13. CanadianJetsFan

CanadianJetsFan New Member

Can't see the Texans picking Nelson

14. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

Coles and Cotchery both did a very good job of going up and getting the ball. The thing with WR in the first round is it is one of the hardest positions to project in the NFL; first round busts are rampant , so if you're not going for a "sure thing" (ie top five talent) and it's not your team's major need, I think you're better off passing on it. I don't think any other position produces the number of disappointing draft picks that WR does.

I like a WR later in the draft, like Steve Breaston (Michigan) in the fifth or sixth round and to build size and toughness on the lines early.

15. JetFanInPA

They need some serious secondary help. They need a CB opposite Dunta Robinson and their Safties are quite sub par.

In your opinion, you should the Texans pick?

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I liked where you were heading until you said the name Steve Breaston. He's one of the most under-achieving WRs I've ever witnessed. The trend will only continue in the pros. I wouldn't even take a flier on him.