Yet another mock off-season

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jasonjets, Feb 7, 2007.

1. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

DRAFT

Round 1: Justin Blalock | Texas | OL - We need to imrpove our guard position, and Blalock would definitely help us out there. He is an amazing run blocker, something we didn't really have last year, and we will have a group of offensive lineman set for the next 5-10 years.

Round 2: Quinn Pitcock | Ohio State | DL - A great DT in college and will be a perfect DE in the 3-4. He is big, strong, fast and excellent verse the run. The reason a guy like this will fall so far is because he is not a great rusher, which is needed in the 4-3, but he is made almost too perfectly for a 3-4 DE, at 6-3, 295.

Round 2: Anthony Gonzalez | Ohio State | WR - He joins his teammate Pitcock as our other 2nd rounder. Think of Gonzalez as Wayne Chrebet with more speed. He has amazing hands, and will be great on 3rd down plays, the kind of player we have not had since Chrebet retired. He will also provide us with somewhat of a deep threat, with his speed.

Round 3: Dan Bazuin | Central Michigan | DE/OLB - He was a sack machine at Central Michigan, recording 26.5 sacks the past 2 years there. He has the perfect size for a 3-4 OLB, at 6-3 and 275, although he may lack some speed. But what he does lack in athelticism, he makes up for in intangibles. He is a hit or miss kind of prosepct. Personally, I predict a hit.

Round 5: Fred Bennett | South Carolina | CB
    - A great athelete, not the best football player though. He has all the skills, and the size, to be a great CB, but was never able to put it together at South Carolina. He could be great, but he doesn't seem to have the best intangibles. He is a workout warrior, so if he puts in the time, he may just be able to become something great.

Round 6: Le'Ron McClain | Alabama | FB - So far this guy has been in every single one of my mocks off-seasons. He is an amazing run blocker, and has good hands out of the backfield. Although he is not very fast, he is great at pounding it out for a few yards, and has great size for the kind of fullback our system need - 6-1, 260.

Round 7: Eldra Buckley | Chattanooga | RB
    - A bit of a sleeper for me. This guy played JUCO for 2 years before coming to Chattanooga and becoming a starter, rushing for over 1,200 yards both years, with a 5.7 YPC average. He is an amazing athlete at RB, but does not have the experience or college that most teams are looking for. Could be a steal, or could be a early season cut. Solid 7th round pick though.

FREE AGENCY

1. Asante Samuel CB: 6 years | 48 million
    (We need a shutdown cornerback, here is our man)

2. Chris Brown RB: 2 years | 3 million
    (A 1 year wonder, but still young, and good potential. If we get him cheap, he could pan out for our future RB, or just be a one-year filler until the 2008 RB-filled draft)

3. Jerramy Stevens TE: 3 years | 6 million
    (A great recieving TE, and will be much cheaper than someone like Daniel Graham, especially for a guy that won't even start. He, just like Brown, has a ton of talent, just waiting to be unleashed)

4. Sean Mahan OG: 2 years | 3.5 million
    (We need some more depth at OG, since Kendall is getting older. Mahan is young, 26, and will challenge Kendall as the starting guard, or take over for him next year)

NOT TO BE RE - SIGNED

B.J. Askew FB

James Hodgins FB

Rashad Moore DT

Ryan Riddle LB

Sean Ryan TE

Cody Spencer LB

RE - SIGNINGS

Jerricho Cotchery WR

Anthony Clement OT

Dave Ball DE

Wade Smith OL

Hank Poteat CB

CUTS

Kevan Barlow

Derrick Blaylock

Justin McCareins

Kimo Von Oelhoffen

David Barrett

2007/2008 NEW YORK JETS ROSTER

--- OFFENSE ---

Quarterback:

Chad Pennington

Kellen Clemens

Patrick Ramsey

Runningback:

Chris Brown

Leon Washington

Cedric Houston

Eldra Buckley

Fullback:

Le'Ron McClain

Jason Pociask

Wide Reciever One:

Laveranues Coles

Anthony Gonzalez

Tim Dwight

Wide Reciever Two:

Jerricho Cotchery

Brad Smith

Tight End:

Chris Baker

Jerramy Stevens

James Dearth

Left Tackle:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Wade Smith

Left Guard:

Pete Kendall

Sean Mahan

Center:

Nick Mangold

Trey Teague

Right Guard:

Justin Blalock

Brandon Moore

Right Tackle:

Anthony Clement

Adrian Jones

--- DEFENSE ---

Right Defensive End:

Quinn Pitcock

Dave Ball

Defensive / Nose Tackle:

Dewayne Robertson

Sione Pouha

C.J. Mosley

Left Defensive End:

Shaun Ellis

Bobby Hamilton

Right Outside Linebacker:

Bryan Thomas

Matt Chatham

Right Inside Linebacker:

Jonathan Vilma

Anthony Schlegel

Left Inside Linebacker:

Victor Hobson

Brad Kassell

Left Outside Linebacker:

Dan Bazuin

Eric Barton

Cornerback One:

Asante Samuel

Justin Miller

Drew Coleman

Cornerback Two:

Andre Dyson

Hank Poteat

Fred Bennett

Free Safety:

Kerry Rhodes

Rashad Washington

Strong Safety:

Erik Coleman

Eric Smith

--- SPECIAL TEAMS ---

Kicker:

Mike Nugent

Punter:

Ben Graham

Kick Off / Punt Returners:

Justin Miller

Leon Washington

#1 jasonjets, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That would be awesome...

No need for Jeremy Stevens and/or Chris Brown IMO.

I don't think we'll be fortunate enough to have all of those players fall where they do in your draft... Bennett might be a 2nd rounder, and same with Bazuin. We need a taller WR than Gonzalez, who is more like Coles or Tim Dwight.

3. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Good job with the research.

IMO, we don't need to sign Chris Brown, but should probably address RB in the draft, maybe second round.

4. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I think Jerramy Stevens, is not a need, but we definitenly should have a pass-catching TE. Whether it is Stevens, or someone in the draft, I think we need one. Someone like Daniel Graham, IMO, is too expensive for a player that wouldnt even start, so I think Stevens would be perfect for the price I proposed. I agree Chris Brown is not neccesary, but he could be a good, small signing. He will add some competition with Washington, and he does have a lot of potential, as a former 1,000 yard rusher. He could be steal, but he is cheap, so even if he fails it is not that big of a loss. I think a taller WR would be great, maybe someone like Craig Davis with that same pick, but I have a thing for Gonzalez, because he reminds me so much of Chrebet. And I doubt Bennett will be a 2nd rounder. He COULD be a mid-late 3rd rounder, at the earliest, maybe 5th was a bit optimistic, but 5th is possible.

5. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

We have a pass catching TE in Baker!! Problem has been that the last 2 years his demand has not been in catching passes, but rather blocking. 2 years ago we had a poor OL with no blocking RB's, last year we had a rookie LT and an average RT - in both years he added so much to our blocking schemes tha this services to the team went unheralded. Countless times last year Baker was lined up in the backlfield on passing downs, especially in the shot gun, and chipped the OLB or DE rushing - not allowing him to get 10-15 yards downfield. Remeber the Titans game and the 20 yard catch down the seam against Buffalo?

Hopefully, this year D'Brick will be more settled, and our current crop of RB's and whomever we draft will be up to the task of picking up blitzing LB's.

6. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

No, no, no. I was not saying that Baker is not a pass catching TE. I love Baker, and I agree that he is a wonderful TE, but we are going to get some two TE sets going, where you need a 2nd pass catching TE to play ALONG WITH Baker. So you would have Baker lined up on one side, and the other pass catching TE on the other side, and they would both go out for a pass. We need a good TE though first to get to the goal of being able to set up a two TE set.

7. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

Why wouldn't Barton start? He was solid this year, and Hobson was solid at OLB.

8. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

He could, but with 5 solid LBs I think Hobson would be better inside because he isnt really the pass rusher you need in a 3-4. Neither Hobson or Barton, for that matter, are natural pass rushers, so you need someone like Bazuin to play OLB, because he is a natural pass rusher. Probably Barton and Hobson would start, but I am just throwing out what I think would be best.

9. CanadianJetsFan

CanadianJetsFan New Member

Very Nice work

10. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Shotty doesn't seem to be a 2 TE set type of coordinator. Those type of sets are more for the power running teams. If we get better or more consistent blocking from the OL, I really believe you will see Baker used much more in the passing game..

11. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

That draft would be incredible, and is very likely as well.

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Most of those players probably won't last to where we pick them. Pitcock, Bazuin and Bennett will probably be gone.

13. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I think Pitcock will be there. Bazuin MAY be there, he is projected early - mid 3rd, so if he falls a bit, he could be there. And Bennett may not be there, but he is projected like 4th round, so he is possible also. None of the picks are outrageous though.

14. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Only question I have is what is with all the first round Olinemen picks??? I would be shocked if after watching every top line Oline fall but the ones we picked, the FO makes that same call in the very next draft.

Conversely, since they did trade down twice last draft, what are the chances of maybe turning the first pick into maybe a second and a third or two fourths if nobody they want is there????

15. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I was talking more about our first 3 picks in general. Blalock and Pitcock's stocks are both falling, and the general consensus is that Gonzalez is a mid-to-late 2nd rounder.Honestly, Pitcocks stock might drop enough that we could grab Rice, Meachem, Tony Hunt or another offensive weapon at #37 and grab Pitcock at our second 2nd rounder.

At this point I do think that Bennett will be a second or third rounder, especially after what he's probably going to do at the combine.

#15 MobiusOne28, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2007