Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

no, brick just flat out cant run block. he better work on it or he will be a major bust. but he didnt look anything like a number 4 pick. i like him and i think he'll be good but right now his run blocking is a joke. hes a pansy at the point of attack.

notice weve run to the left side of the line umm what prolly in the single digits this season.

our line is good pass blocking without a question, but people are pointing to our RB's when the real problem is the lack of run blocking. sure we need another back to contest for a full time role. but right now nobody will be having major success if this line looks anything like it did last yr in the run game.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I agree, D'Brick was a big time dissapointment especially in the second half of the season. I don't think alot of people realized, but the guy lost a TON of weight during the season and I think it had and effect on his abilty to run block and even pass block. There were indications that by seasons end he weighed somewhere around 280 pounds. Thats ridiculous if you ask me. Brick needs to put 25-30 pounds of muscle and fat on and keep it on. I guess I am counting on him improving in this regard because I don't think there is anyway the Jets will let him get away playing that light. He looked like a TE by the end of the season.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Did you take into account in ur post that he just may not be that good? Did you consider that he just does not have the ability to run block as well as handle bull/speed rushers?

4. PennyandtheJets

No because there is an adjustment period for most rookies who enter the NFL. There is no question Brick needs to gain some weight and will need to do his homework if he wants improve. If I have learned anything from watching football...I have learned its never over until its over and that players can turn their careers around by working hard. Look at Drew Brees. He wasn't selected in the top 5, but was the starter in SD and played miserably the first few years. He finally dedicated himself to football and is now a probowl QB. Bryan Thomas is also a great example. He rode the pine for three seasons before he made his name know on defense. Sometimes it takes players this long to learn and adjust.

This holds true for D'Brickashaw and every player in the NFL. We know he has talent, now he needs to bust his tail to get where he needs to be.

5. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

if he was a BIG TIME disappointment I dont' think Chad would have started all 16 games, I mean come on the guy was blocking his blind side.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Brees may be one of the few who did work himself up however most have it or they do not. Mangold it appears to me was a rookie that seemed to perform well. So did the LT in SD. Bush had a terrific year. While I hope your hopes come true I am beginning to think he is do not guy sorry to say rather then a do guy. even if he turns out just AVERAGE he certainly was not worth the #4 overall pick which is really the crux of the matter

7. PennyandtheJets

I meant in regards to his run blocking.

8. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

oh in that case I agree totally

9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

At first I thought it would be something that wouldn't be a problem doing, but then when I thought about it, I got skeptical.

I just don't think he is worth our 1st Round pick. However, maybe Tangini would have drafted a RB anyway in the 1st Round, but I think they are smarter now, and would have drafted a player for a position we need (like a Defensive Player).

Who really knows though....

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's not worth a first unless he's a better all-around back than he's displayed so far. That gaudy yards per carry is going to go straight down when he gets 250+ carries and then the Jets will have a one-dimensional 4.2 yards per carry back.

The report also says the Jets would trade for him and then sign him. That's definitely not happening. He's signed on the way in or he's a hugely expensive rental.

I just don't buy the report at all. Tannenbaum and Mangini are smart enough not to make the mistake of trading first round picks, particularly for a runningback when they still have questions on the offensive line and the defensive front seven.

11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

This would be the 1st move that would seriously shake my confidence in our FO. To me it would undo everything we accomplished with the Abe trade and the Ramsey trade. Remember reading about how our young coach/FO will not be taken advantage of? How they can play poker with the big boys too?

To pull the trigger on this deal for a 1st when the market proves that really no one else is desperate for a guy like Turner? We are basically bidding against ourselves and would be foolish to offer anything better than a 3rd and at worst wind up settling for a 2nd. SD has absolutely no leverage in this deal.

The question the Jets have to ask - is does this guy make us a SB contender this season? If the answer is no - we can be patient and get Turner the following year as an UFA. He won't have any additional mileage running behind LT - that's for sure.

12. McCareins 81

McCareins 81 New Member

13. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Thats BS that most of his good carries were because of great blocking. There was one play where on two seperate occasions he was being tackled, slips out of them, and takes it like 10 yards.

That last one though, Lorenzo Neal took out 2 people, but he does have breakaway speed. I like the combo of power and speed he has. I still rather give up a 2nd rounder, but our first 2nd rounder is an early one, so it wouldn't be too bad of a trade if we gave up a first.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm with you all the way on this. Finish the DEF, that's our top priority. I'll go one step further... finish the right side of the O-line too, while you're at it. THEN we look for the RB gem on Day Two or in F/A.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

But your forgetting a major point....whatever RB we pick up at 25 or with our other Day 1 picks will cost MUCH less than Turner. And Turner has just as many question marks on him as do the other rookie RB's.

So it makes no sense to me to give up not only a big contract to Turner, but a 1st round pick for him as well when we can avoid both of those with good drafting of a Quality RB such as Bush. That isnt fair IMO to have to give Turner not only a big contratc but a 1st round pick for him.

Hell if you want to trade for a RB, then get one of the Jones brothers(Julius or Thomas). They are under contract next year and aint half bad. And in both of their cases, they might cost us 2nd or 3rd round picks.

16. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

The Jets have some holes to fill, but if they feel they can address the issue with run defense via Free Agency, I'm okay with giving up the 25th overall... Should make for another boring draft! :)

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm starting to like Jets' "boring drafts." It seems like, in the past, every time we tried to make a splash, we screwed ourselves (DeWayne Robertson). Then, there are years like last year, where we took the two "boring" picks in the 1st round and came up huge. Gimme the latter.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This report is a head scratcher. I personally think it is a reporter and/or one of the SD front office blowing one another. Literally.

This is obviously my opinion:

SD's line was a superb run blocking line. In fact it was the best I have seen all season. They literally blew NE's D-line off the los consistently. LT and Turner had huge holes to run through. Now I am not saying they are not good backs, I am just stating fact, that they had holes you can drive a truck through.

Our O-line has nowhere near the run blocking talent that line does. I rarely saw plays where they gave Houston/Wahsington/Blaylock huge holes to run through. Our line is/was much more of a finesse line than a smash mouth line.

The front office values the players in the trenches. Look at the draft last year. Also look where they came from. Belichek/Pioli use their top picks almost every year for players that are in the trenches.

If anyone thinks that Turner will be a top notch running back behind this line I have a bridge to sell you. Personally there is no way I would give up a 1st rounder for a freaking back up, no way. One could argue the semantics of trading a 2nd rounder as well. The Jets just do not have the luxury of a lot of picks this year to trade like that. In fact there are a lot more imediate and pressing needs/holes to fill prior to running back in order to be an elite team.

Our O-line needs drastic improvement in its run blocking. I think the Mangini/Tannenbaum recognize that, shit they have to be blind not to. It is my opinion that they will continue to build a strong foundation (O-line/D-line) first. Then and only then will they bring in a top tier free agent RB (UFA/RFA) and be willing to spend a 1st round pick on them.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not while improving the defensive as well, which as big of a problem as the offensive line and much bigger then runningback at this point.

You can argue that Washington is unproven, yet he also isn't going to command one of our top three picks this offseason.

People need to remember that not all offensive tackles begin with dominance. Pace let up almost seven sacks in nine games. D'Brickashaw 10 in 16. D'Brickashaw letting up a sack every 1.6 games, Pace every 1.2. So he's right on pace with his pass blocker. His run blocking needs to improve, but it will with added weight from a strength and conditioning program that probably starts in the winter. At a neutral football board I post at, everyone thinks that he will be a dominant tackle. Give it time.

#139 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  20. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it but in Tangini we trust.