Is Gardner worth a huge contract once his rookie deal is done?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Oct 16, 2024.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets were a well run organization - meaning they could identify and coach up good talent - they wouldn't have to keep overpaying to retain guys who in the overall scheme don't really make the Jets much better of a team. Think about it: if the Jets had never signed any big money FAs (or retained their own) over the past 15 years, would the results have been much different? They've simply thrown money at guys, at best hoping they would somehow make a difference (despite the historical record), and at worst, using these big splash signings to sell seats and merch.

Until the Jets get the ability to build a winning organization from the top down, there's no point in throwing money at these guys. Hang onto the money, trade them for assets, and maybe one day have acquired enough talent all across the board to make a good team.

Brook!, fansince90 and ouchy like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The thing he does best is cover. He can't tackle worth a hill of beans. However, coverage is important. When you can shut down an opponents top receiver, it goes a long way to helping the defense. There aren't too many DBs who can cover like he can. Nevertheless, this year, opponents have discovered they can run the ball against the Jets defense which diminishes Sauce's coverage skills and exposes his weak tackling skills. If the Jets offense ever gets going, opponents will be forced to throw more and then we'd see better performance from Sauce. If you look back over the last two years, he has cut down Tyreek Hill which is what he was drafted to do, so yeah, pay him.

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

man what a tough crowd!

We have to retain our top guys and build some continuity and culture

We need to string some wins together so we can refocus on our players positive attributes rather than the negativity.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agree 100% Johnson was one of the few players who leaves it all on the field

5. BrowningNagle

I don't think he's cut down Tyreek Hill. Hill missed one of the matchups against the Jets last season due to injury. The other one he played in, black friday game, Tyreek Hill dominated that game.

The year before Hill played the Jets with Skylar Thompson at QB

fansince90 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The problem is when these good, young players, think they're better than they are, and worse, that they should be paid regardless of the impact on the rest of the team and payroll. That doesn't contribute to culture, it detracts from it.

Vida and fansince90 like this.
  7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Holy Revis Island Batman!

Revis made big plays for 2 years at least but I still maintain that he shouldnt be in teh hall.

That being said.

Am on teh fence. Dep[ends on what he thinks hes worth. Gimme some mfing INTs Sauce!!!

fansince90 likes this.
  8. chandler

i think people are looking for perfection and will be disappointed.

Sauce has been a near ideal Jets citizen. Very positive attitude. I may have missed it but i haven't heard him complain or demand anything. He like GW just want to win in my book. We want those guys. I put Q in that book too. He got paid but there wasn't a lot of public nonsense.

We need to get some wins going. Right now everyone is very grumpy

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah and I don't think Sauce overrates his own ability either. He's legitimately one of the best CBs in the NFL. Top 5 at least.

westiedog1 and chandler like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When I compare the careers that Surtain and Gonzalez (Pats) are having, it is hard to give Sauce a top 5 deal. Teams gameplan to attack him on the ground every week. He doesn't get attacked through the air much, but since Reed is having a great year I think that is going to change more often.

It's hard to say how he'll do the rest of the season, but if he gets exposed then there will be real questions about whether he should be kept.

Sauce opened my eyes a lot as a rookie and did some things I've never seen a corner do, but I haven't seen much of that since.

Brook!, stinkyB and fansince90 like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You build from the inside out, not the outside in. If he was a top 5 lineman on either side you give him a top 5 second contract.

Vida, stinkyB, fansince90 and 3 others like this.
  12. REVISion

This is a much larger conversation but I think it's the exact opposite. I know the common wisdom is that you build through the lines, but I think that has inverted with the rule changes protecting passers and receivers as well as the innovations in offensive schemes and focus on short passes.

The most important non-QB positions are WR and CB. Edge rushers and OTs are more valuable than interior linemen.

Good weapons on offense mean you can largely scheme around a bad OL with quick passes.

fansince90 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How's that working out for us? :confused:

Vida, ouchy, fansince90 and 1 other person like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

poorly

Vida and fansince90 like this.
  15. REVISion

Horrible OC + horrible OL coach + we don't have many truly good weapons.

fansince90 likes this.
  16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Another extremely overrated Jet player, not worth a big contract.

17. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I would like to see the stats for him against Tyreek as well as the other Number 1 receivers he has faced.

18. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I’m not a cap guy, but i’m wondering if all of our top guys can be paid. If not is Sauce one of the top guys on the team that deserves the money? I’m looking at how he impacts the outcome of a game… if you’re not causing fumbles or intercepting the ball I don’t see how you deserve top dollar.
    Deflections matter, but do they come on 3rd down when it’s time to get the team off the field? That’s impact. If someone can provide stats that prove he’s being avoided most of the time, then maybe i will change my stance.

ouchy likes this.
  19. chandler

I’m not a cap guy either

sometimes CB don’t get those stats simply because the opponent doesn’t throw his way as often

we’ve been a dumpster fire team. Trying to rationalize getting rid of our best players makes no sense to me

of course at the end of the day the team needs to Marshall its resources but geez there have to better ways than getting rid of your stars. We need to build around those guys

REVISion likes this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I looked up for stats for Hill and Diggs because Jets face them 2x per season, hence being the most important ones.

Season 22-23
    vs Hill------- Yds--------TDs
    10/9---------- 47---------0
    1/8------------ 23---------0

vs Diggs
    11/6-----------93---------0
    12/11---------32---------0

Season 23-24
    vs Hill
    11/24---------102-------1
    12/17---------DNP

vs Diggs