Is Gardner worth a huge contract once his rookie deal is done?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Oct 16, 2024.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Imo he’s one of the most celebrated, and decorated, non impact having player I have ever seen be called great.
    When he’s targeted, he’s a Pi waiting to happen. Big time players make big time plays, that’s my mantra.

2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I’ll do you one better. I’d rather have Derek Stingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fansince90 and AndyDrums like this.
  3. letsgojets2819

letsgojets2819 Active Member

Guy can’t catch or tackle, only the jets are dumb enough to make him the highest paid corner back in the league, once he gets older and loses his speed and agility he’ll be useless

Jets69, fansince90 and IDFjet like this.
  4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I'll make this easy.. ...no....let him walk he is soft as shit

shabbtastic and fansince90 like this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Lol you guys are nuts. He's been an all pro in back to back years to start his career. Only 2 other players have ever done that. Micah Parsons and Lawrence Taylor.

I know things are down, but this is an absurd take. Do I think he should get more than Surtain? No. But he is an incredible football player.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Judging his body of work given his QB's and OC might not be accurate so I would say... No as of today. Maybe Downing can get GW more involved like what we saw on MNF. So far though, he's looking pretty soft.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He's no Revis...

Vida and fansince90 like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Need to see more and fortunately no decisions need to be made yet. He may not be Revis but he might have had the 2 or 3 best seasons by a CB in NFL history so that's not a standard to expect.

Other than once against Ridley (barely), you just don't see him getting beat and barely notice him in coverage (which is a compliment). Shaky tackler and doesn't get INTs but he also doesn't get throw to much. He's still a great player.

Now DJ Reed I expected to regress and end up walking with Echols or Stiggers stepping into his spot in 25', but if DJ keeps playing at this pace I don't want him going anywhere

fansince90 and stinkyB like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jermaine Johnson has more interceptions than Ahmad Gardner the last 2 seasons. Johnson plays defensive line and has been hurt

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Exactly man--sauce is not an expert at his craft ala Revis who studied film non-stop and knew WR tendencies. Sauce relies on his amazing athleticism and once that slows he's not going to be nearly as good.

If we are not on the verge of championship aspiration, trading him after this season is the thing to do IMO. He'll never be worth more given 2 more years of control plus a franchise year.

Vida, fansince90 and ouchy like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’d like to see Sauce manned up on good receivers more before I’d go that far.

He’s an elite zone cover corner and all but I think his talents are being wasted. A big flaw to being an elite cover corner is you generally need to tackle more and tackle different types of plays versus a traditional man corner who just needs to tackle his guys.

Not sure we’re going to see it til this regime is gone but I’d say we pay him.

I think if we trade Sauce, we’re going to see a team maximize his talents. It’s a much different case than Jamal Adams was.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They will need to trade him for draft assets unfortunately.

Cover corners won't matter if offenses are going to rip 9 yard runs a carry on us.

NY Jets68 and fansince90 like this.
  13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we are going to need to let him or Wilson go and recoup draft capital, same goes for Quinnen. The re-build will be depressing.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sauce is an amazing player. He legitimately may have had the best start to his career of any CB ever.

He's going to be expensive but CB is an extremely important position and we should try to retain him.

Of our good young players, Breece and JJ are the ones we should be thinking of moving on from. Breece due to lack of positional value and effort, and JJ because McDonald is better, younger, and cheaper. I'd also ship Quinnen out of here ASAP.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sauce is way to soft to warrant a top contract. Especially with another rebuild lining up. His PI cover tactics are finally starting to get attention with refs. Cant catch a football and is only worth good CB money, not elite because of his lack of game changing plays. Since he relies so much on speed and agility he's a hamstring injury, etc, away from being a waste of money. We need a solid defensive backfield, not one good corner.

If I were GM I'd cash out Sauce so fast it would make your head spin.

#15 ouchy, Oct 16, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2024
    fansince90 likes this.
  16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Not a chance. They are in a tough position, can't let him walk for nothing, but can't pay him the money he's going to command. Very Jets-like. I've seen enough this year to make my decision, he's soft, refuses to get dirty when trying to make a tackle, and he's not as good in coverage as advertised. Very handsy, and this year they are calling him out. His first year, it was fun that they were letting hm play, but without holding and grabbing, he's not all that.

Average corner, big name, I wouldn't extend him at the money he's going to require.

Vida, fansince90 and ouchy like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Quinnen’s been pretty disappointing the last 10 or so games. He played decent against the Bills despite meh stat production.

I don’t think it’s really a Wilkerson situation though. I think it’s generally just the overall lifecycle of defensive tackles. They get a big bump for a couple years and then become average players. The elite one’s like Donald and Chris Jones are just freakish HOFers.

He’s still a good useful player but I’d agree; not at this current cap number where the defensive line build is essentially centered around him.

REVISion likes this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Probably, but what do I know?

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Regarding Quinnen, I truly think he’s a top 5 tackle. But being the rest of the DL either has major questions or has been questionable, I’d say doubling him has made him quiet. Kinlaw, Clemons and the rest of the interior guys save for probably Thomas have been bad. McD has likely been your best DL to date. The rest really can’t say they’ve done much to help and it’s likely affected Q.

20. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

And boy, do we miss him. JJ has more heart than the rest of the overpaid stiffs on that defense.

BrowningNagle likes this.