Jeff Ulbrich Interim Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 8, 2024.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...getting-his-own-pink-slip-from-woody-johnson/

This gets better and better. Woody the moron jumped in front of his GM to fire the coach, the coach who apparently was going to fire the offensive coordinator on the same day that he himself got fired, and now inadvertently, or perhaps on purpose depending on your point of view, kept us stuck with Hackett until the end of the year. If this is all true, then Rodgers has more power than we ever thought he did.

I wish I could say you can't make this shit up, but this is the Jets. It makes itself up.

stinkyB, Kronoking, cval and 3 others like this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’m curious because Woody intimated that he was confident that Ulbrich will do what’s necessary to have the team performing to the level of their talent, and that they’re very aware of where the problems lie (just all all of us are, as he said), and that the players are extremely talented. I have a feeling Ulbrich is going to be formally firing/demoting coaches tomorrow.

REVISion likes this.
  3. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

I'M BACKING THE BRICK!!!

For now....

SOJAZ and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Now I need an explanation for this? @Dierking ?

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

in this case, and I ain't taking a shot at the OP, ....

that'd be WITHOUT THE SLIGHTEST HINT OF ANY RESPECT AT ALL!!!

6. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have had Hackett fired first than Saleh if I had to make a choice.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5, stinkyB and 4 others like this.
  7. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I agree with that. I did want Saleh fired but it might not fix the problem. I'm also worried that the defense takes a step back now that Ulbrich has to coach the whole team and perhaps Saleh did help with the defense overall.

In an ideal world I would have fired Hackett. Demoted Saleh to defensive duties. Brought in someone like Rex Ryan or Pete Carrol just for a leadership perspective and just set the tone. I think we needed someone from the outside to come in here. I fear Ulbrich might be to friendly with the players as well since that was the tone set by Saleh.

8. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I think it is way more likely that we sign Adams this week now because then if we beat Buffalo Woody can act like it was his genius coaching move that was the reason.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My good God, tell me it isn’t so. This is high level conspiracy if you ask me. That would have been Saleh absolute best move.

10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

He’s never been shit without Brady. I’d rather have vrabel , if ulbrich doesn’t end up being the guy

SOJAZ, stinkyB, mezzavo and 2 others like this.
  11. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

It was meant tongue in cheek. That said, I suspect even Bradyless Belichick would be levels above anyone we’ve had in the last 25 years…

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Except it's not accurate. Woody said he discussed it with JD, even though Woody himself made a decision. Saleh wasn't going to fire Hack, just to have Downing call the plays. That might still happen.

Not that Downing is great. He was fired for leading 30th in yards and 28th in points offense. Hack last year was 31st in yards, and 29th in points. They are both shit. Plus Keith Carter as OL coach. Regardless of calls the plays, the offesnive coaching talent is just not there. Though at this point I do want to see Downing get a turn, I mean it cannot get much worse. But Hack wasn't getting fired as insinuated above.

SOJAZ and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  13. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Yes, turns out he wasn't going to fire him but take play calling duties away. Pretty similar dynamic, but I'll stipulate that.

However, I've read nowhere that he discussed it with Douglas anywhere before about 15 minutes before he did it. Douglas found out about it just before it happened. You think that's a good way to operate? This idiotic owner decides to respond to fan and media pressure and just go in and blow things up but not even eliminate the entire problem? It's debatable which was more of a problem, the head coach, or the offensive coordinator. I'd like to think there was a chance that the team could have overcome its issues if somebody who had half a brain and a modicum of creativity was calling the plays. It's very unlikely that It will overcome the poor offensive coordinator even with a hopefully better head coach.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why do you say he hates Johnson? He never even worked for him.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think consulting with JD was fine. I mean I don't know if it happened 15 mins before or not. All we know is that it happened and JD was in the loop. That's fine. Ideally Saleh would have been fired in the off-season, because it would allow an opportunity to bring in a better HC, better OC, better OL coach, etc... This could have made us a much better team. So Woody majorly fucked up then, no question about it.

But he did not fuck up the way he fired Saleh now. Saleh is not a HC and he lost respect of the team. It's not just AR, now Quincy is saying he is not holding people accountable. He lost respect of the team, and Woody was right to get rid of him. I understand JD ideally would have fired Saleh, but frankly he was supposed to be fired himself, and he was tied to Saleh at the hip. So, Woody consulted JD and fired Saleh. A good move. A move that I don't think will drastically change things like offseason firing and better staff would have, but can give an extra win or two, which may just be enough to make play-offs.

As far as Hack, let's see if Brick demotes him too. I think he should. Maybe Downing can do slightly better calling plays, though that's basically another Titans reject like Keith Carter, so I expect more of the same. Maybe Brick, unlike Saleh, will chew these mother fuckers out, so they are at least better prepared and more disciplined, but I do not expect more creativity out of people who are not very creative.

16. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I get that you spent the better part of a year now putting forward a massive effort to deflect any and all potential criticism speculation aimed Rodgers, but c'mon man. Quincy could of just as easily been talking about Rodgers and Hackett there as well in the this total picture of fail. In fact i'd argue it's more likely then not given it also totally fits the "tired of hearing the same thing" bill there just as much as Saleh's rah rah bs would. Maybe more so given it's the offense that has been the primary problem and failure point for this team, and the current insane amount of dodging accountability going on within any decision to keep Hackett around.

If there was even a hint of truth that not firing Saleh yesterday might of at minimum lead to a Nathanial Hackett demotion, that the post-firing spin was always most certainly going make it an immediate priority to downplay for appearance sake, then that firing yesterday was a net loss for this team's 2024 outlook as it stand today imo.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Ulbrich is The Brick? All I got.

Brook! likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, both AR and Quincy talked about accountability. That ultimately is with the coach, even if you talk about specific players. Besides, Saleh has been here for 3.5 years, and seems like a nice guy who is too soft on players. I just don't see how getting rid of 20-36 coach is a negative. I also think Brick will have Downing call the plays just like Saleh would have. Neither was firing Hack.

So, no I do not see firing Saleh as a net loss at all, we strongly disagree on that. It could be a slight positive or same. The right thing to do was to get rid of him in the offseason along with Hack and Titan rejects as well, and I kept saying it back then. Still it is a bit better to dump Saleh now than keep for even longer. No net negative there.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I think Colin and the Fox guys nailed it with their non-McAfee catering take on that yesterday. Say what you want about Saleh, and it's all most warranted at this point....but at the end of the day he was still probably the best coach we currently had in that room of this 2-3 football team.

Suggesting the firing of Saleh does more for this team then a move away from Hackett could/would have is just more piled up pro-wishcasting on things with ridiculously low probability odds of success. All of which you have previously been wrong on going into this latest spin off take btw. As I said in another thread this roster was/is capable of carrying HC Saleh to a playoff berth this year if the offense could get right (or at least righter). 17 games of the Hackett offense is just too heavy of a burden to ever rationally expect the same on

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think Saleh is the best coach. Brick is, only because he looks like a tough SOB and Saleh not as much. For a DC perhaps it worked with a tough HC above him, but clearly for HC it didn't. So, we do have a better HC today than yesterday. How much better? I am not sure, but I cannot see it being worse. And again I want to see Hack not call plays Monday. Let's see what Brick will do. Maybe we get both, Saleh departure and Hack demotion. The problem is that Downing is awful too, like Carter, but maybe Brick will light a fire under their ass a bit more, so work harder and get slightly better outcome.

Brook! likes this.