Your Head Coach choices for 2025

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 30, 2024 at 2:02 PM.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He'll be dead and buried before he knows less about running a team than the entire Jets brain trust. The biggest problem the Jets have had is in hiring the right people to run the football operations. They've tried headhunters and hall of famers, they've tried having the Johnson family make those decisions - I'd be willing to roll the dice and have Parcells lead the hunt for the next generation. Could he do any worse?

jets_fan likes this.
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Heck, I'd be willing to make him the head coach right now at this point. Just let him roam the sidelines and yell at people when they make mistakes and decide when the team punts or goes for it. Just by doing that he'd be doing more than Saleh does on Sundays. Just by being the intimidating presence that he is, Parcells would be light years ahead of what Saleh is currently doing.

twown and REVISion like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think his time for coaching a team has come and gone but I like the idea of him being the "no holding back" guy. After all, didn't Saleh need a guy to hold himself back when he was in San Fran? This would be more productive.

jets_fan likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think he once wandered into the end zone or something similar and got yelled at for it and we haven't seen anything like that again.

I think my more pressing concern is that I can't remember more times than I can count on one hand seeing Robert Saleh look at a play card.

5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It wasn't really a serious suggestion, although I have to admit that I would feel more confident in our chances watching Bill Parcells at 83 years old walking up and down the sideline than I would be in watching Robert Saleh do...whatever it is he does on Sundays.

Maybe Bill could be his time management guy. His only job would be to stand beside Hackett and yell at him to pick a play already once the play clock got to a certain point. Or when someone gets a penalty on the field, they have to go stand next to Parcells for a few minutes before being allowed back on the field.:D

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

A few points to consider:

1.) Overpay - The Jets will HAVE to overpay if they want to get a marquee name. It's not as much of a big deal in terms of finances as the Johnsons can afford to pay, but will they is the real question? To be clear, the Jets should overpay to get THE guy as no one will care about the coach's pay check if he makes the Jets a winner.

2.) The Control factor - Since the Johnsons took over the Jets have had a few decent coaches but never a huge name coach, like a Parcells who pre-dated the Johnsons. This is in large part due to the fact the Woody seems to want his hand in the cookie jar at all times. This philosophical stance could be the downfall of the Jets from ever becoming a winning franchise. Woody knows Dick Squat about football. If he can't put his ego aside and let a real football guy come in here and rebuild the entire organization and make all personnel decisions then this will never work.

3.) The attractiveness of the job - This job continues to become less desirable with every passing year of no playoffs (which is exactly how this one is trending).

It can be done and is totally possible but with Woody Johnson leading the search for the next regime, it's a very scary proposition. The only hope is Woody comes to his senses and lets a real football guy build it.

mezzavo likes this.
  7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Woody will sell the fucking team before he does that. That's what got Parcells canned from Foxboro; and Woody has less than 1/10 football acumen that Robert Kraft has. I ain't coming here with Woody in charge if I'm Parcells.

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

We're effed as long as Woody is the owner making these choices. HC, GM whatever.

24 years of ownership. 1 division title to show for it and that was 22 years ago and that was because of the core Parcells had left behind, Martin, Mawae, 4 1st round picks 2000 etc.

The team hasn't made the playoffs since 2010.

If he were going to make a HC change the perfect time to do it was after last season when Jim Harbaugh returned to the NFL.

If it gets to that point it's likely we end up with a option Z type rookie HC no other team covets.

mezzavo and Jets79 like this.
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Harbaugh may be crazy, but he is not that bat shit crazy to go for NY Jets when the Chargers - that he has a good history with - beckons.

10. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Ben Johnson! Been on that train since last year.

REVISion likes this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Well then you can stick a fork in them because this franchise and team will never get their shit together.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Not sure yet, but one things for sure: it needs to be a defensive coordinator because Jets.

mattyd99 likes this.
  13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Some of you have mentioned Parcells. Putting the age issue aside, don't forget that he bailed out on the Jets because he thought Woody was a doofus, and Woody hasn't done anything in the last 20+ years to change his mind.

Therein lies the rub. What first-rate GM or coaching candidates want to come here to work for Woody? It's a place where careers go to die.

mattyd99 and JetsNation06 like this.
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Next two are Minnesota and Buffalo. If they are 2-4, then I could see Saleh possibly getting fired after the Bills game. At the very least the fans and NY media will have the pitchforks and knives out.

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Then PIT afterwards. We’re very likely to be 2-5 headed to NE. And whats worse is if Will Levis had just stuck to fundamentals and didn’t go full send stupid, we’d be looking at 1-6.

Nyjets4eva, mezzavo and GREG like this.
  16. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

17. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

He was bat shit crazy enough to go to the same division as Sean Payton and Andy Reid.

But you are right, hes not idiot and the Jets situation was only good for the short term not the long term. In LA he has a younger QB which makes things easier to figure out.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If - and it's a big if - Woody realizes he is the problem, and decides to hire Parcells to be the chief executive officer of the Jets, maybe there is a hope. (Or appointing Hoodie for that role will have similar effect.)

Except Woody will sell the team before he does anything halfway close to that.

REVISion and Since1969 like this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

our Gmms picked Darnold and Smith in rnd 1, giving up insane amounts of draft capital to get the former...

so we draft QBs who need 6 yrs in the league to become solid. interesting. i doubt coaching can fix that.

Zach will come good in 2026 or 2027

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Eric Bieniemy comes to mind. Of course, as everyone has mentioned and already knows, as long as Wood-Ruff is running this show the team is going to be doomed. Hey, on a positive note, misery loves company and Carolina just got themselves an owner that "might" actually be worse than Wood-Ruff!!

Unfortunately, no one is coming to save us. No one is coming to bail this team out this year. If they DO fire Saleh, mid-season, who steps in that is worth two shits? Right, no one. Fuck it, make Rodgers the head coach and promote the QB coach to O.C. Bill Parcells NOR BB is going to touch this dumpster fire with a million mile pole.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised some of you mentioned B.B. Me, personally, I don't think he coaches again. However, if he chooses to come back he's going to be looking for a situation that will allow him to win right now. At this point in his career, he's doing everything he can to ensure people remember that he's a good coach and that his entire legacy isn't really Tom Brady. Keeping that in mind, there's no way in hell he comes to NY. Not for $10 million...not for $200 million.

Realistically, I keep coming back to Eric Bieniemy. He's the only guy I can think of that "might" take a chance to be the head guy because absolutely everyone has passed him over. He got a shit deal in Washington thanks to the Snyder mess and, when I'm looking for a good chuckle, I find that article about how the offensive guys, in Washington, were boo hoo'ing because he "rode them too hard." THAT is a man I can support.

Time will tell but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that, as long as the Johnsons own this team, the NY Jets will never amount to shit. If this roster, along with a HoF QB that has now shown he's still got plenty in the tank, can't make the playoffs then it's never going to happen. A LOT of GM's whiff on a QB at the top of the draft so I don't know what in the fuck ya'll's beef with JD is...but our GM is NOT the problem. This roster is talented and loaded. Any coach worth 2 shits could get this team to, at least, the playoffs. A guy like Parcells (in his prime) or a Harbaugh could go DEEP too. Alas, no...something is going on with how the Johnson's manage this team that require them to have head coaches like Robert Saleh et. al.

At this point the fans have a decision to make.

UK_Chilts and JetFanInNE like this.