It's Garrett Wilson time...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stinkyB, Aug 27, 2023.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would very much doubt that. I can't imagine that he'd leave one crappy franchise for another after what he's seen with the Jets.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sorry for starting this jinx thread....*

* I still stand by the play call, unfortunately the execution was lacking.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

NY Jets68 likes this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

wantged to bump this thread...

concern is that he has a really poor catch %... not even close to elite, or even top 25% of the league...

hes got nice hands and is pretty slinky. but he's not a pure burner.

I say used him as a ball control received a la Edleman ( yes, I am repeating myself)

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Since when is he not a burner? I hate to reference 40 times but he ran a 4.38. Corners played 15 yards off of him his whole college career so he wouldn’t run but them and he caught deep outs with his quick feet to make them pay.

I just can’t understand your dislike for him. I was actually just thinking Thursday night that I want to see him running deep posts out of the slot so he could split some safeties. I don’t think the Jets have taken advantage of his abilities to get down field in his career yet.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hahahaha, one of the fastest players in the league is not a pure burner. That's really all you need to hear. And actually bumped an old thread to post that.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The comparison to Edelman was worth the bump... :p

stinkyB likes this.
  8. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

It's really quite remarkable he produced as much as he did in that O before this year. This year Rodgers is spreading the ball around and still fine tuning, so Garrett's gonna have to be patient

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I mean...he did have 168 target balls thrown at him to get there. That is a lot. Pretty much anybody with pretty much any QB situation is going to get to or flirt with a 1000 yard season with that much opportunity.

I think the real "problem" here is it's year 3 now, and at this point pretty much any evaluation that's suggestive of Garrett Wilson being 'special" or "elite' is still mostly still stuck clinging a little too much to the 1st year wishcasting that comes with the high draft capital spot. Where as the fairly substantial body of NFL work itself would better suggest that GW simply doesn't have that alpha "it" factor or instinctive on-field IQ makeup to live up to that elite billing on the NFL level. Not that there is anything wrong with that, or that it's in any way a "bad" thing. He's probably just not gonna be the second coming of Rodgers + prime Davante because he's simply not going to be as good as a prime Davante Adam. Or probably even aging Davante for that matter given last year does make for a fairly decent and direct production with similar opportunity comp.

Again, nothing wrong with that. But the surrounding expectations moving forward should start being reeled in. For me he's just more in the Terry McLaurin level tier of very good WR, and simply getting more familiarity with Rodgers probably doesn't change that.

10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the volume shooter fallacy... they threw at him like 13 a game.. 55% catch rate SUCKS

Terry McLaughlin is head and shoulders better.

he needs alotta work.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good Lord, some of the evaluations of Wilson’s talent and potential are simply laughable. Give him a chance with a QB that can throw the ball would you please. He is not a speed burner, anyone with that many targets should have over a 1000 yards no matter the QB…..good heaven what a bunch of hog wash. People on one hand are bitching about poor Bowers doesn’t have a QB to throw to him....are you freaking kidding me, he is a world beater compared to what Wilson had to deal with. He had two years of absolute shit, double teamed on every play, with a pathetic QB where half of the targets thrown where dreadful at best. Behind him, on the wrong shoulder, on and on. If numb nuts Hack would open up the playbook and move him around coming out of the slot and start play calling to his abilities this kid can take the roof of. If he was playing for KC from day one he would be lights out one of the best out there.

Ill Will likes this.
  12. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

Really. I'm not even gonna trouble myself with this one. Like wow. Let's not feel good about 2-1, let's worry that Garrett isn't Randy Moss or somebody lol

I mean Zach was so erratic it was ridiculous. Wilson had to do breathing exercises not to lose his shit with him.. I can still picture Zach missing Wilson plenty of times and reeling behind that OL. Nobody else was coming in here and doing better in that O under those circumstances

Okay now I'm done

#52 Ill Will, Sep 24, 2024 at 10:29 PM
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2024 at 10:44 PM
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I feel good about our chances this Sunday, but it MIGHT not be the week that GW breaks out. Patrick Surtain is a hell of a player. Just held Mike Evans to two catches for 17 yds.

stinkyB, Cman68, Ill Will and 3 others like this.
  14. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Since 2013 (as far back as the quick math site I used went) there have been 41 different times a receiver has seen 160+ targets in a season.

Only one single time out of the 41 did those 160+ targets not record a 1000 season. Jarvis Landry in 2017, and who totaled 987 yards in 7 less targets then the 168 GW saw last year.

In fact only 2 times did any of those 41 record less then a 1100+ yard season. Landry's 2017, and Garret Wilson's 2023.

Those are actual statistics supporting the contested "hog wash" claim fwtw.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Might be the week for Hackett to use GW as a decoy and deploy MW and BH as pass catching options. We have a QB that can do that, but do we have an OC that can think outside the box he put himself in is the question.

LAJet likes this.
  16. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

So you're telling me Terry McGlaughlin would've done better in that O last year? Lol, c'mon man, Zach was missing Garrett all over the field all year, reads and accuracy. It was everything in Wilson's power not go crazy it was so bad.
    How about we worry about the success of the whole team this year, and the offense as a unit with much better players overall and see where it shakes out?

17. abyzmul

Who the hell is Terry Mclaughlin?

Ill Will likes this.
  18. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see Garrett get some more catches but the offense is doing better by spreading the ball around, I think Breece is also getting a little upset about not getting the ball enough. Look at what the Bills are doing right now without a “go to” guy.

Ill Will likes this.
  19. abyzmul

Denver can't just sell out for Garrett this week unless they want to look like the Pats did, they have to prepare for what they see on film. I think Wilson will be open a bit more this week.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I expect to see the back shoulder throw connect or at least get closer this week. That's the progress I'm looking for between AR and him.

I have zero concern about him as a WR--at worst he's taking coverage from someone else. His hands are ++. Perhaps the stats (if there are any) showing a relatively low completion rate are due to his actually getting his hands on shitty throws or with DB's draped all over him or tightwalking the sidelines. The TD catch last week--he made it look easy and that wasn't easy.