Haason Reddickulous Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There are dumber teams than the Jets.

teamgreen, stinkyB and mezzavo like this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

No vermouth needed, just olive juice and olives with (vodka).. But your analogy is well said about Lazard!!!!

Lon Chaney likes this.
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yeah, with Carolina being right at the top. LOL!

stinkyB likes this.
  4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

My thinking, at this point...
    Both sides have had a taste of reality.
    The Jets lost Jermaine.
    Reddick watched the Jets D play well, rush & sack well without him.
    Now's the perfect time for JD to contact Reddick's people, & say, "we give you permission to speak to teams, & negotiate a trade where we receive equal value for what we paid for you."
    If they find a team, it's win-win.
    If they can't, then the Jets just keep saying "Report, & we'll talk."
    Reddick's best option was always to report, & build a relationship with the players.
    Instead, he chose to play "Chicken" with himself.
    By the way, what I like about WMD is that he seems to really enjoy rushing the passer, & making plays. I'm still not sold on him, but I'm getting glimpses. And if he's grabbing the opportunity he's been given, by really upping his game, he may've been a bargain at 15.

#784 burf, Sep 21, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2024
    SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…I have no real issue with players fighting for more money when they outperform a contract, as I think its fair that if the team can cut the player when they underperform, then it should go both ways.

However, I do have an issue with a player when he holds out of real games…it costs him money obviously but it hurts the team a lot more than a holdout of training camp or preseason. It alienates the fans and just gives off the air of someone who only gives a shit about himself.

If this contract was so bad, then he shouldn’t have signed it. Otherwise, get your ass in here and fucking play.

So I’m pretty fed up with him…nothing better than seeing McD ball out, hopefully one or two of the other guys also step up now that JJ is out, and we can tell him to just sit out and we’ll see your dumb ass next year.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

But the list is dwindling

stinkyB likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Reddick is really going to kamikaze his own career. The amount of money he could be making this year and the next 2 years likely at most far outweighs the point he’s trying to make or a contract extension if he just played this season on his current deal.

Very dumb.

Borat, JetFanInPA, REVISion and 5 others like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Doesn't look good for him--we all make mistakes but this is a doozy apparently. I hope it works out for him or I hope he literally doesn't kill himself once he discovers how bad a path he has taken.

He does have a chance with a trade to the Raiders--or a chance if he just mea culpa's and shows up in Florham.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I mean, guys like OBJ jump around from team to team as mercenaries and seem to be able to do just fine with everyone knowing they are a headcase. Reddick has basically been a mercenary his whole career, he's just unrealistic about the contract lengths he's looking for.

10. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

Yeah, this is gonna hurt him long term. Bet he thought he was getting a phone call right after JJ went down. Gotta give the team the credit on this one. I'm glad they didn't cave in to him

burf, Jets79, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh, OBJ never decided to take a year off over a contract dispute though. He also missed 2022 in his year 30 season and his career is basically over at this point. He never got near the payday Reddick is seeking post 30+.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

You always do a cost/ benefit analysis,,, seems to me he thinks its worth it.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

His last tweet was how he trusted it to God…I don’t think he is operating in a rational way.

Skicats, Jets OG fan and Ill Will like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe he just picked the wrong god.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Are Reddick and his agent just morons? I can't fathom how they think the math works out in their favor at this point.

I want to say Reddick has accumulated over $8M in fines/missed game checks at this point. He's 30 years old playing an athleticism-dependent position. Even putting the raw dollars aside, there's also the fact that the entire league knows he's a cancer now. That has to have at least some impact on his chances of ever signing a huge deal.

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I get his wanting a raise given what he's making compared to other top DEs, but you'd think he'd compromise on a raise now and then aim for a new deal as the year goes on or as an FA next year rather than lose all that money and possibly develop a reputation.

And not for nothing, but look at what this scheme does for edges like him. Bryce Huff had huge production, got paid, and has been a complete zero through 3 games. Now Will McDonald is one of the league leaders in sacks. Dude would probably put up over 15 sacks in this scheme and then he'd really be looking even better for a big contract. I could see his point more if we was traded to a team where players at his position go to die, but the opposite here.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agreed….whatever his agent is telling him it’s bad advice…way to alienate yourself from the team, the fans, etc.

If he misses the whole year then his contract tolls and he’s in the exact same spot he is now, and while he may expect the Jets to just cut him at that point, we don’t actually have to…we can say nope, we traded good value for you, so if you want to go find a trade do it but we are going to need our pick back. Good luck on him being able to find a trade partner who would give anything for a malcontent who hasn’t played in a year.

So unless they are total morons, I’ll assume he comes back to play the minimum required games to get his season accrued…not sure how the fines vs. game checks issue works out though…if he gets $800K/game do they actually pay that, or do they just apply it against fines owed? Hard to imagine that because I can’t see any player actually playing and not getting a check. But regardless, that’s just such a shitty look for him and his agent, and it’s hard to imagine him having a significant impact after missing so much time.

Just a stupid path for him to take. He should have just showed up and worked out a deal with JD, like JD said he would do once he got here. It may not have been all he wanted, but it would have been more than what he has now, that he actually signed for in his contract, and it would have allowed him to actually play and probably do well and line himself up for a long term deal next year. That would have been the smarter play.

Now he just looks like a malcontent, and he won’t have the stats to demand a large deal next year…I have a hard time seeing teams fork over a big deal to a holdout guy.

Borat, Ill Will, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I guess the counter to this is that this perception is a very recent thing. Before this season, the perception was that DEs on the Jets saw reduced sack numbers due to all the rotating of DL in the Saleh system.

Still, I have no idea what Reddick is thinking at this point. He's basically banking on the Jets needing him badly enough this year to eventually cave to his demands. If he holds out the entire year, he's in a horrible spot because we retain his rights next year, he's another year older, and he will have forgone around $20M in game checks and fines.

Borat and Jets79 like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

20. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

He must be following Loki.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.