Brock Bowers - Olu Fashanu Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Sep 15, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear -at least so far - that these who wanted Brock were right, no debating that. I do want see Olu play and a larger sample size before we can conclude this debate, but right now it sure looks like Bower boys knew what they were talking about, no shame in admitting the obvious.

REVISion likes this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Last season: "JD is an idiot because he didn't get enough o-line depth."

This season: "JD is an idiot because he got too much o-line depth."

Borat, Hemi, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

To put it simply, JD is an idiot because used the #11 pick on a backup in a win-now year.

Passing up, or apparently not even considering, the best pass-catching TE prospect in a decade just makes it worse.

Sundayjack, 94Abraham and abyzmul like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

God forbid if Smith gets injured he would be crucified for signing an injury prone stud and not having sufficient back up. I completely ignore half of the shit I read. That applies to the MacD selection as well. I do think it was a tough choice with Bowers but guarantee it the Raiders would have taken Ole if the roles were reversed. They loved the guy.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter much if you can't protect your 40 year old QB.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not only that, but the protection itself is filling a hole that Joe Douglas created by poorly drafting OL in the first round.

Sundayjack and REVISion like this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Every concencus is that Olu will be an elite Tackle before he was a Jet, before Douglas picked him. There were multiple outlets that had concern with Becton.

9. REVISion

How many good OL has JD drafted? 1? The guard he traded up to draft? And guard is the highest hit rate position on the line. Most teams find good guards in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

How many good TEs has Douglas drafted?

11. REVISion

Well he's drafted 2 total and 1 was in the 7th round sooooo...

Compared to 7 OL.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I hate arguing with you because I like you haha. I see your side completely too, I just always abide by the notion LT is more valuable than TE.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s a shame about how much of an over-compensation drafting an OT was. The player might be good next year and beyond but Bowers might be good this year, next year and beyond as well.

I also don’t get the idea of automatically redshirting Fashanu? Did the coaching staff honestly assess if he should be OT3? Would he maybe be a good asset to have at guard right now? A lot of time good tackle prospects can be road grading guards in year one.

JetsNation06 and REVISion like this.
  14. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Not that I have to tell you that in this given given your own stated viewpoint here, but we could certainly say the same here about Bowers too. Just kinda funny how the completely contradicting internal factors and examples we can already reference in-house always get completely ignored by people who love to copy and paste in production happening outside the organization in their "why don't we do or have this" rants.

Believing Brock Bowers would be fantasy feasting in *this* Hackett offense right now seeing 17 targets in his first 2 games is about as shallow logic based as anybody looking over at Sam Darnold's #'s so far in Minny and complaining we don't have *that* anymore.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I love the "we didn't draft a superstar because our coaches suck" line of argument. Really compelling.

16. REVISion

It's the Raiders bro, Bowers isn't playing for Andy Reid. Their OC is someone named Luke Getsy who led the Bears to the 19th and 23rd ranked scoring offenses in his two years prior to joining them.

I'm no fan of Hackett but to act like Bowers is a product of some great offensive coaching staff is wild. He's also catching passes from Gardner Minshew instead of Aaron Rodgers.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This is another symptom of the problem that is the NY Jets franchise, mainly the owner and current front office guys. It's not that Fashanu wasn't a pick of need or not that he doesn't have very good long-term potential. It's all about the entire direction and philosophy of the franchise which is a Joe Douglas/Woody Johnson issue. This shit all starts at the top. If the Jets were really all in for this season (which basically everyone in the free world has built them up to be going into this season) I don't think anyone could objectively say that Olu was a better pick than Bowers for the Jets. Bowers would have an instant impact and make the offense dynamic. Right now the offense looks good but I definitely wouldn't classify them as explosive through two games. Bowers would've given them that edge. Sure Fashanu is an insurance policy for one of the starters but he's also an inexperienced rookie and is no guarantee to flourish as a rookie unlike Bowers.

The real problem is that Joe Douglas has no idea what he's doing and really has no long term direction/plan for this franchise. He's kinda half in and half out on win-now and long-term.

Until Woody hires a proven winner from the pros or college who is given full control on all football decisions and can actually build a long-term foundation/plan that they repeat every year like the good franchises do I fear this roller coaster ride will continue in perpetuity.

REVISion likes this.
  18. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

It's not even so much that as it pointing out that this is 2 different teams and offenses we are talking about here. Magic pill fix that was never going to happen aside, the Jets are gonna be a run first and run heavy offense going through Breece Hall. That's this team's live or die by the sword meal ticket this year. As we've already got a taste of in the first 2 games there isn't much cuteness built in to what Hackett and co will be trying to do, and as we are already struggling to get guys like GW going.

It's not the same opportunity environment for a focused touch TE that we are seeing play out in LV right now, and who's running offense through 2 games ranks a clear dead last in the NFL.

#118 Kronoking, Sep 19, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2024
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why not just use the real clip rather than this animated piece of shit comic video they just used?