2024 - Week 2: New York Jets at Tennessee Titans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 10, 2024.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2024.
  1. Jets

71.4%
  2. Titans

28.6%
  1. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

If you are referring to me, I'm never "bothered" by comments on a fan post. I prefer intelligent discourse to assumptions that fly in the face of facts. There are no secrets or hidden techniques in this field. Also, the Mayo is not the last word on anything, much less the controversial subject of avoiding injuries. Having been injured many times in my long life, and having many prescriptions by "experts" on avoiding/healing/treating, many of whom disagreed with each other, I did a lot of self research into the topic of stretching. I have taken stretch classes, been to various PT and so on. You will find many respectable organizations saying stretch before...NO, stretch after...NO, it really doesn't help...and so on. Ain't no easy answer my friend.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If you are referring to me, why not hit the "reply" button to avoid any question?

At least you seem to have gotten away from the "stupid" line of thought in your efforts to defend the multiple Jets training staffs over the past decade or so - we're on at least the third. No one claimed there was a secret or hidden way of doing things - that does not mean there aren't better ways do things and that probably indicates there is no "one size fits all" answer to preparing 175 pound guys whose job is to run and cut fast and guys more than twice that size who do most of their job within a ten foot circle. As long as the Jets consistently show up near the top of the injury list their preparation deserves to be questioned.

Snickering at the highest rated medical center in the United States is probably not going to be productive. Here's a "second opinion," this time from the highest rated orthopedics center in the country, the Hospital for Special Surgery (emphasis added):

Achilles tendon injury prevention
    Since a lack of flexibility is a major cause of injury, proper stretching of the lower leg is the most basic way to prevent Achilles tendon strains or tears.

3. bleedgreen

Please show me any post of mine where I defended jets medical staff. Please show me how I snickered at Mayo when I said they were not last word.
    Been to hospital for special surgery. Good place. Been to mayo. Good place. So what? Your posts somehow imply the jets medical staff,no matter which year you look at, they do t seem to know Some basic things.

4. Ralebird

Every post of yours appears to defend the Jets medical staff - you asked if I thought they were stupid; you said "lets see some data before making what I consider ridiculous assumptions that the jets staff is incompetent." Those statements were not responsive to anything I claimed. I never said anyone was stupid, I don't make assumptions or implications - your erroneous inferences notwithstanding, Where did I ever say or imply any of the Jets medical staffs didn't know basics - they must know basics or they wouldn't be there at all!

Even somehow having the ultimate medical staff would not prevent anything if their knowledge and mindset is not communicated and implemented individually for each player, which would require coordination between every physician, therapist, training and coaching member of the entire staff and none of it would work to its optimum without 100% adherence by each player. What I have stated is my entry into this discussion was based on a point made by another poster that the Jets seem to have more of these injuries than other teams. Citing Mayo because of its reputation is not in any way saying they cannot be questioned, nor is that true for HSS.

The statement made was that the Jets have more injuries, specifically achilles injuries, than most teams - I basically questioned the root cause of those injuries and what the Jets have done to prevent them. I am of the opinion that the Jets have not done enough. Your mileage may vary.

5. bleedgreen

See if this image works

6. bleedgreen

I have chart showing all by team but I don't know how to paste it in. Jets are pretty much in the middle from 2012 to 2022

7. Ralebird

I don't see anything but shouldn't the goal be to have the least injured team, not average? Wherever they stand, if there's room for improvement should any stone be left unturned?

8. bleedgreen

https://www.milehighreport.com/2022/12/9/23501552/ten-seasons-of-torn-acls-nfl

9. bleedgreen

In the years 2018 to 2022 they are pretty much the lowest

10. Ralebird

11. Ralebird

In that period the Jets had four. Sixteen teams had four or fewer. That's called average.

12. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

Yeah, I'm not including JJ's injury in things to blame the team on rn

https://ijspt.scholasticahq.com/art...ly-high-incidence-levels-in-the-nfl-and-if-so

Clinical Viewpoint
    Vol. 19, Issue 2, 2024February 01, 2024 CDT

An Apparent Achilles Heel of the NFL: Have Achilles Tendon Injuries Significantly Increased to Unacceptably High Incidence Levels in the NFL and if so, why? A Clinical Insight

Timothy E Hewett, PhD, Chad D Lavender, MD, Andrew L Schaver, MD

NFLachilles rupturefootball injuries
    ccby-nc-4.0•https://doi.org/10.26603/001c.92082

Many if not most of us watched in utter disbelief and horror last September 11th as Aaron Rogers, the newly acquired $75 million dollar quarterback with the New York Jets just 4 snaps into the new season, suffered an Achilles Tendon ruptures (ATR) in his inaugural game on nationally televised Monday Night Football with his new and excited team and demanding fanbase. With cell phones in hand, we watched as our X apps lit up with claims of an excess of ATRs in the NFL in recent years and much of the blame placed on the new rubberized turf surfaces in place in most of the NFL stadiums. That first week of the NFL season the NFL Players Association, the NFLPA, put out a statement to this effect that demanded removal of rubberized turf surfaces throughout the NFL! With Kirk Cousins devastating ATR a few weeks later, amongst 21 others this season, and Aaron Rogers return to practice after a mere seven to eight weeks post-injury, this conundrum remains foremost in our hyper-questioning minds!

This leaves us with two highly relevant, though unanswered, and largely unaddressed questions:

1. Have Achilles Tendon Injuries significantly increased to unacceptably high incidence levels in the NFL?

2. What are the underlying causes of the high incidence levels of Achilles Tendon ruptures in the NFL?
    Interestingly, Achilles Tendon ruptures in the NFL have been tracked with relatively high fidelity over the last 25 years, though the NFL is not always totally forthcoming with the injury reports. The Achilles tendon is the largest, strongest, most powerful spring in the human body that experiences enormous loads, especially during eccentric calf contractions, and requires large loads to rupture.1 Prior studies reported an average of 4 Achilles tendon ruptures (ATRs) per NFL season between 1980 and 2001 and approximately five Achilles tendon ruptures per year between 1997 and 2002, approximately 43 to 21 years ago.2 Our research group reported a large increase in the prevalence of Achilles tendon ruptures in the NFL in the season following the 2011 season lock-out, especially in the preseason, in which 12 ruptures occurred. The latest peer-reviewed reports that ranged between 2009-2016 showed a significantly increased prevalence to between 13 and 16 ruptures per year.3 Since then, social media reports over the last 3 seasons have average 17 per year and the current 2023 season 22 ATRs have occurred in NFL. There is no doubt that the prevalence of ATRs in the NFL has increased between 3 and five-fold and that this 300-500% increase is both clinically and fiscally significant.

With regard to the second relevant question, the answer is likely not as simple as the NFLPA purports it to be. One must ask: what are the primary potential contributors? Similar to other sports medicine injuries there are both modifiable and nonmodifiable risk factors. Here is the current synopsis based on evidence-based hypotheses and historic injury risk modeling in order of relative potential predictive power:

1. Demographic and anthropometric factors are always important and come out of nearly every injury risk profile assessment: age, activity level, height, body mass, and BMI may play significant roles.4 With the exception of age, all are increasing in the NFL. These are examples of non-modifiable factors.

2. The absence of sufficient preparatory training, such as heavy eccentrics. This has likely increased due to the new collective bargaining agreements between the NFL and NFLPA, which restrict team access to players during the off-season.

3. Surface (newer generation rubberized turf versus grass) shoe, rigid ankle taping, and bracing.

4. The use of anabolic and corticosteroids. The unknown and upregulated use of these drugs is unknown but have likely increased.

5. There are other potential contributors that are possible as well.
    Treatment for ATRs has historically revolved around open treatment, but newer minimally invasive treatments such as the “speed bridge procedure” may have improved the recovery and post-operative course. We all will continue to follow Mr. Rogers’ progress with very high levels of interest! Future randomized trials looking at earlier return to play will be vital with regard to these newer technologies.

In conclusion, there is absolutely no doubt that the prevalence of ATRs has increased over the last half to quarter century 3 to 5-fold. The questions that remain are which are the greatest contributors to this highly impactful and expensive problem and what interventions can be instituted to reduce the risk of these devastating injuries? For example, Aaron Rogers and Kirk Cousins, what characteristic do they share as NFL quarterbacks may be the common predictive factors and most important determinants of not only recovery time but of the length of their future careers? The NFL and the sports medical community must address this issue before next season and the next oncoming round of ATR injuries in 2024. As outlined above the modifiable risk factors should be examined in detail and attention to improving those factors as much as possible.

mezzavo likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Yeah, I saw that yesterday but other than asking good questions it doesn't say much and there is little information about the authors other than they are all from Mashall University.

14. bleedgreen

You prefer i say the jets had fewer than all but 6 teams? I don't know why you keep on hammering the jets on this. Everyone has them. The Jets aren't particularly attocious. If you want to make some point about the overall prevalence of this injury, go for it.

15. Ralebird

duplicate - see below

#135 Ralebird, Sep 18, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2024
  16. Ralebird

First of all, I prefer I don't make mistakes in quoting stats which I did here.

Actually, In the ten year period shown the Jets were tied for ninth in the number of ACL knee injuries - higher than average. In the five year period you choose to highlight, they were tied for 23rd - better than average. I see nothing that indicates why the decade shown was split in half other than the fact that across the league the number of this specific knee injury peaked in 2018. Did something occur with rules, procedures or equipment to provoke a decline in ACL injuries? I also see nothing that prompted you to show stats for a knee injury rather than shoulder, head or even achilles injuries as that's where the discussion had gone.

I am not "hammering" anyone, I am discussing the Jets on a Jets forum and responding to a poster who wrote about Jets injuries in general and achilles tears specifically. Just like everything about the Jets, I would hope they find a way to be better than "everyone else" in the league regarding injuries. That's a long way to go from "atrocious." Some of us are more easily satisfied than others, I guess.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

From Cimini last night

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes we were fucked by the schedule for sure, and it always good to get a win no matter how ugly it may be

That being said, I think many here kind of expected us to be 1-1 after two weeks…not easy to go into SF and beat the Niners at home.

But for me, it was just the way it looked. Had we been competitive and looked like we belonged on the field with them, that loss would have felt a lot different. We were manhandled. And then we did struggle to beat a mediocre Tennessee team, so I think it’s really just the way the team looked. But that Titans game, while it was all about the backs and hopefully Hackett starts realizing the talent there, was really won because of Rodgers. The defense was bend not break a lot, and they came through at the end, but if we didn’t have Rodgers we don’t win that game.

The reads and adjustments and throws he made were key. Does anyone here believe any of our QBs over the last 5-10 years makes those throws to Williams, to Breece on the TD, to GW on the 3rd down? No way.

I suspect we’ll get better as the OL plays more games together, as Williams gets more time, we’ll need someone to step up on the DL, maybe Q or McD or shit maybe Reddick when he has to show up to get a season accrued….we’ll see.

westiedog1 and Nyjets4eva like this.