Defense, not offense, the problem

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Sep 10, 2024.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

With all the ink being wasted on Rodgers' performance last night, the jets defense was/is their biggest problem. Have you ever seen a team go up and down the field at will like the 49ers and their backup RB?
    Joe Douglas proved once again he can waste #1 picks like nobody else with his McDonald selection in the top 15. When I said the 49ers went up and down the field AT WILL, that was an intended pun. The jets DL was totally unable to hold the line of scrimmage, and it looked like the varsity (49ers) against the JV (jets) last night. The NFL is a copycat league--2024 will be the year the jets get the ball run down their throats early and often.
    I hope Woody wakes up and fires his defensive expert coach and idiot GM, who has wasted now THREE number picks already, after another middling (at best) season.

SOJAZ, Jets OG fan and AndyDrums like this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s one thing. Offense didn’t do their parts. Defense definitely didn’t and coaching didn’t. I can’t say that I am happy with the offense. Sure it was exciting that they scored to take a 7-3 lead after some big 3rd down plays. But we did have 3 TOs.

Nothing really helped last night.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

McDonald was like a prison bitch last night. Owned all day long.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Both sides of the ball have their share of the blame. The defense couldn't stop the 49ers from scoring, but the offense couldn't maintain drives that might have made it a shoot-out.

We just didn't look like a playoff contender, let alone a Super Bowl contender. A lot of people will say it's only week one, and of course we can get better, but just look how the Niners came out of the gate compared to us. It's like they knew they were starting the season and we were surprised by it.

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It looked like the jets defense took the night off after they heard CM was inactive. And of course that is an indictment on Saleh. It's his job to have his players ready for every game (and he clearly did not).

ukjetsfan likes this.
  6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It does seem that back-ups (usually QBs but a running back in this case) seem to give us fits.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

So you're saying that giving up 8 consecutive scoring drives for the first time in 45 years might be a red flag.

Pepsiguy5, NY Jets68, mezzavo and 2 others like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I feel bad that you are blaming the players when its obvious they were put out of position by the defensive alignment and SF blocking schemes. A little bit to alter an angle to a possible tackle reduces the tackle probability a lot. This was what the players were saddled with due to their alignments. Would you blame soldiers who get killed in battle because their leader orders them into an impossible position?

This is true of the secondary as well--wide open receivers were because of defensive strategies--not because the guys weren't executing. IMO

There was one area of blame to the players--some were too amped up--stupidly. Such as JJ. Almost got a Pfoul early and eventually did pick up a dumb penalty. Guys need to be more workmanlike--this is probably on Saleh as the one thing he does do is amp up guys.

EDIT: following this up with analysis for Jetx which can be found on their site--here are excerpts:

1. Look how easy it is for the O-line to climb to the second level because of the width the Jets play with their 4 down linemen.

2. In this alignment, I don’t understand why the Jets decided not to match the 49ers’ 12 personnel (2 TE) with their base personnel (i.e., use Jamien Sherwood, a 3rd LB, instead of Ashtyn Davis, a safety). They end up getting gashed on a split zone concept. The D-line slants the opposite way of the run, and the O-line climbs with ease to the second level. Jordan Mason doesn’t feel contact for 10 yards.

3. As for the defense, I am concerned due to the lack of adjustments made by the defensive staff, which allowed the 49ers to gash them for the entirety of the football game.

#8 IDFjet, Sep 12, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
  9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Offense wasn't great or even good either.

But they get a pass for game 1 because of how bad the defense was.

The offense couldn't sustain any drives when it was still a game to give the defense a much needed breather.

The defense played like trash but they didn't get much help from the offensive side of the ball.

It's a team game.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I know Cimini gets alot of flack around here (some deserved) but some of this is how many of us felt:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41232131/new-york-jets-week-2-defense-aaron-rodgers-motion

here's a piece in regards to defense

1. On edge: When John Franklin-Myers learned the Jets had traded for Haason Reddick, he told a friend, "I'm gone," according to a source. He was reading the handwriting on the big, green wall. Four weeks later, he was traded to the Denver Broncos -- one of the defensive-line moves being scrutinized in the aftermath of a brutal Week 1 performance.

From March 11 (Bryce Huff's departure in free agency) to April 29 (Franklin-Myers trade), general manager Joe Douglas changed the composition and personality of the team's strongest position group -- and not for the better, based on the early results.

The Jets surrendered 180 rushing yards in a 32-19 loss to the San Francisco 49ers, as their edge players -- most notably, Jermaine Johnson, Micheal Clemons, Will McDonald IV and Takkarist McKinley -- set soft edges in the run game and combined for only three tackles on 72 run snaps, per Next Gen Stats. The 49ers are known for chewing up defenses with their ground game, but that didn't stop Johnson from apologizing to teammates in a film session.

"[Accountability] is something I take very seriously," Johnson said. "That was the first thing I said. I stood up and said, 'I'm sorry, I let y'all down. The edges were not what they should have been on my part.'"

Johnson is one of their better players, so he figures to rebound. The players not named Johnson and Quinnen Williams are the ones with questions.

Of course, Reddick is the biggest question because of his holdout. The Jets have received no return on their trade, only a headache. It's forcing them to use rotational players -- McDonald, McKinley and Clemons -- in prominent roles.

Huff and Franklin-Myers were popular, longtime players who exceled in their roles. Huff was the team's sack leader in 2023. After losing him to the Eagles, coach Robert Saleh compared Huff to former Yankees relief pitcher Mariano Rivera because of his ability to close out games with sacks. He sounded like a coach who was upset they let him out the door.

The Jets thought they had free agent Jadeveon Clowney lined up to replace Huff, but Clowney opted for the Carolina Panthers. Under pressure to fill the void, Douglas made the deal for Reddick even though it was widely known the Pro Bowl edge rusher wanted a new contract. The Jets have refused to offer him one to his liking, and here we are.

Douglas said they couldn't afford to keep Reddick and Franklin-Myers, so he gave Franklin-Myers permission to seek a trade soon after the Reddick trade was finalized. Franklin-Myers found a new home, as the Jets restocked their edge players.

"That's just not our standard, that's not the norm of us," Johnson said of Week 1. "Nevertheless, we put that on tape, right? So we have to go out there [this] week and put that to bed pretty quick, which I have full confidence that we will."

an in regards to offense coordinator.... :facepalm:

7. Big respect: Highly regarded Titans offensive line coach Bill Callahan received unsolicited praise from Saleh in the media. Backstory: After the 2022 season, Saleh looked into hiring Callahan, then the Cleveland Browns' line coach, as a replacement for offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur. Saleh reached out to more than 20 coaches, eventually hiring Nathaniel Hackett. Callahan was the Jets' line coach from 2008 to 2011.

#10 stinkyB, Sep 15, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2024
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm glad JJ takes accountability seriously as I'm sure a lot of players do because they are warriors.

But the Jets Management take no accountability for their terrible choices and hiring practices etc. Where was the accountability from Saleh and Ulbrich for last weeks horrendous defensive gameplan or the terrible record over the last 4 years? Where is the accountability for JD debacles one after another. These people are hypocrites--they can't even acknowledge the outcomes of their choices--and they don't get better because they are not held accountable.

Nyjets4eva and stinkyB like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Defense looked better when Mosley came out and Sherwood took over.

IDFjet likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think it started looking a bit better when they moved Quincy Williams into the MLB spot…

Lon Chaney and IDFjet like this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Guys stepped up yesterday no doubt--Echols, #91, #44, #0

Pepsiguy5 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Also #99

mezzavo and IDFjet like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Clark and Tony Adams had pretty brutal games. I didn’t see where Echols lined up (I think primarily at corner for DJ Reed) but I would hope they’re exploring safety options.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Micah Hyde is still available, he's not what he used to be but worth a look IMO as we could use some veteran leadership back there

Acad23 likes this.
  18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

While we're throwing out vets who may help us, I don't get why Lawrence Guy is not being brought in--we could afford him with the $$ we saved on Reddick's first 3 game checks it seems to me. Maybe he's washed up but he hasn't retired so IDK. Maybe he's asking too much.

Jonathan_Vilma and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Clark was brutal yesterday. Everyone is going to knock Sauce for that pass he allowed to Ridley but Clark has got to make that play. That was bad. I cannot stand watching Bubblewrap Adams play.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We've scored three offensive touchdowns in both our games this season... which equals the number of three touchdown games we had all of last year.