Joe Douglas entering his final year without a new contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 8, 2024.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So this will be his last year. Not sure if Woody approached him for an extension or not but something unique in the NFL is happening. Joe D is entering his last year without a new contract.

If Rodgers stays healthy I can see Jets making some noise in the playoffs and Joe D having some other suitors.

What do you guys think?

barfolomew likes this.
  2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I think it all depends on how the season goes. If we suck our coaches and JD are probably gone anyway. You can easily hammer out an extension for the gm if your half way through the season and things are going well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barfolomew, REVISion, stinkyB and 3 others like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I know but I don't know how Joe D will feel to enter his last season without an extension. If things are going well there is always a chance for Joe D to finish out his contract and look for another opportunity as a GM. Slim chance but it might happen.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. NYCriminal

NYCriminal Member

27-56, I could take em or leave em

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

It really boils down to one thing and that's a QB. I mean, there's not a publication on the planet who doesn't have the Jets listed as one of the more talented teams, top to bottom. Many on here parrot the same thing. Then, out the other side of their mouths they talk about sending JD packing. "One of the most talented teams" didn't get that way by magic. At this stage, it's all JD. No one left, I think, from the previous regime, might be missing someone. What he hasn't done is get the team a QB. The whiff on Darnold was "eh" but the whiff on Zach Wilson was so huge. Question is, does Woody get rid of JD or let's JD get rid of Saleh.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Mac drafted Darnold.

LostInMA, stinkyB and mezzavo like this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I like the roster this season and I credit it to JD. We've seen "top-tier Jets defense with free agent QB" before. Hell, we've seen it with a Green Bay QB before.

It's never worked.

I'm not even sure he got the best free-agent QB available, but he did learn that he needs a legitimate backup on the roster at the expense of an entire season, so that's good I guess.

barfolomew likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, the Reddick fck up didn't help his cause. Neither does his overall record as GM. The entire FO/CS is on notice to either win or else as it should be. Woody has been patient moreso than usual. Its not like he didn't give JD/Saleh free reign (Aaron Rodgers not withstanding). Show Woody the wins and Woody will show the sack. If they don't win WITH Rodgers on the field? Its Curtains Rocky!!!

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Woody can just keep the sack to himself.

barfolomew and ukjetsfan like this.
  10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

There's been more good then bad with JD. Obviously the QB pick was bad. He also invested heavily in the o line and it just hasn't worked out for multiple reasons. He has the roster in better position that since I can remember.

The only truly dumb move was going into last year without a real backup QB.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. mezzavo

I should have researched that one fully. Wasn't sure so went with it...

Jets81 likes this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He should have been fired after last season. It's been five, going on six, seasons now with no playoffs. The other teams can have him if they want him.

13. mezzavo

Explain yourself...

Does Joe Douglas COACH the team? Does he block and tackle? People can't say we have a great roster out the left side of our mouths and then call for his head out the right. We can criticize his inability to draft a QB and his issues with the o-line but it's just pure fact that we have a roster that a whole lot of teams would be happy to have. I get it...wins are the barometer but I'll ask this...compared to other Jets GM's how does he look? Sure looks a lot better than 80% of the other GM's the team has employed in recent years.

JetFanInNE and NOVAJET like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And Douglas gave him away in favor of Wilson.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember it well. JD set him up for failure so he could get his own guy, then got duped into picking Wilson (who I don’t think will ever find success in this league).

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Woody is the root cause. He can sell the team then talk about sacking JD.

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly the same thought process Joe employed when drafting Zach…

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It's so weird. This is the most talented team the Jets have had in years. They legit have all-pros at every level of the defense. They have an elite WR and an elite RB. All of that credit goes to Douglas. He managed to convince Rodgers and Tyron Smtih to sign here.

At the same time, his record is abysmal. His QB management up until this year has been horrible. He whiffed hard drafting Zach Wilson. He then refused to bring in a legitimate backup for Rodgers.

You cant screw up that bad with the most important position in sports and expect to keep your job. If the Jets have a good to great season, he'll definitely be back on a shorter deal. If they even slightly underachieve, I think they clean house.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LOL

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

The record is abysmal because he inherited a team that was absolutely terrible from the HC on down to the roster and even the scouting staff and back office (which he also had to tear down and rebuild) … we all knew it wouldn’t be a quick fix, and so did he and the team as demonstrated by his 6 year deal. After all, you don’t just get to our level of suck in a year or three … you need to be terrible in a LOT of areas for a LONG time to be what we were …. Longest playoff drought in all major sports.

So the lift was heavy and the lift was real. It didn’t break overnight, and it surely didn’t get fixed overnight.

So I give a bit of a pass on the overall record being as bad as it is.

All that being said thought, he’s made some pretty bad errors that had he done better, we would’ve improved sooner.

His first draft was bad. Very bad. The Zac pick was terrible. His reliance on Becton after his injury hurt. So not a perfect track record by any means.

We’ll see what happens this year, but our roster finally looks pretty damn good.

mezzavo and NOVAJET like this.