Bold Predictions… Not So Bold Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 25, 2024.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I am duly engaged by all your predictions, including Chuck Clark. Because Chuck Clark.

But if Chuck Clark is the DMVP, something has gone wrong.

Unless it has gone incredibly right.

Lon Chaney and abyzmul like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jets lose three games in a row and someone threatens to leave the board.

3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I’m not touching the jets.

Not sure how I feel about Caleb. Something tells me huge disappointment.

REVISion likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

...but if they do they come back as soon as they win a single game.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Bold
    -Russ gets benched in Pitt. and Fields leads them to the playoffs.
    Bold'er
    -Zach is starting for the Broncos by week 4.
    Really bold
    -A QB controversy erupts in Jax between Lawrence and Jones.
    Not so bold
    -TGG is in an uproar over lack of quality o-line depth by week 6.

#25 ouchy, Aug 26, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
    westiedog1 and mezzavo like this.
  6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Wheww...opening a can there! LOL!! If that kid goes on to be even a remotely serviceable starter someone needs to burn our front office from the top down.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised by #1
    I would be surprised by #2, but I think he is the backup
    There's no way on earth #3 happens
    No way #4 happens, unless 3-4 OL are down with injuries by that time. No team can have that kind of depth.

ouchy likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Check out the best plays from Zach's 3 TD performance on Sunday. https://www.nfl.com/videos/zach-wilson-s-best-plays-from-3-td-game-vs-cardinals-preseason-week-3

It looks like Payton is teaching Zach how to play QB, and Denver's OL is giving him plenty of time/protection. His accuracy is spot on and he is going through his progressions and making good decisions. This looks like the Zach I expected to see his rookie season with the Jets. Unless it's all a mirage and Zach eventually flames out with the Broncos, I will continue to believe that the biggest mistakes that JD made with Zach was in not hiring someone that was a proven QB guru and in not having a veteran to start while Zach fixed his mechanics and adjusted to the NFL. Of course, there has to be a QB guru available to be hired. Daboll might be one, but he hasn't done much with Jones on the Giants. I don't know if Payton's offense is similar or different from the Jets, but if different, then it might be the offense that Zach needed to play in and not the one the Jets have. In that video he looks the best he has in the NFL, and looks like the real deal.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

teams don’t blitz in the preseason. Wilson’s biggest issues stem from the blitz, where he runs backwards like an idiot.

Nix is the guy there anyway

UK_Chilts, mezzavo, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't forget self-sacking, where he runs backwards, then in a circle, then lays down and gifts a sack to whatever player happens to wander by.

REVISion, NYJalltheway and stinkyB like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I love the renewed defense of Zach Wilson after he played a decent game against the 3rd stringers of a bottom ten defense from last year.

Pepsiguy5, jets_fan, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The eternal flame of true love.... it's like the olympic torch

abyzmul and NYJalltheway like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Yes Nix, is the starter, but Wilson could have beat out Stidman to be Nix's backup. As I said, it remains to be seen if Zach has fixed his issues. He seems to be playing confidently and freely. I'm not saying that he still won't buckle under pressure or have the yips on short passes, but he has a chance under Payton. One thing is for certain. He never would have gotten straightened out here with the CS the Jets have had.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Maybe…but if a QB drafted 2nd overall in his 4th year can’t beat out a rookie QB (even a first rounder), then that’s not a good sign

We’ll see what happens, but it’s not looking great for him…just glad its not our problem anymore

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To clarify my prediction. I'm thinking Zach gets starts because rookies usually get hurt or aren't quite ready for primetime to start their career. I put it in the "bold prediction" part.

I put this under the "not so bold prediction" part.

Brook!, mezzavo and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

What about when Sam Darnold does it?

17. NCJetsfan

It's not a renewed defense. He was absolutely a bust with the Jets and he needed to go. I was just pointing out that he is showing improvement, and looks more like the player the Jets drafted, rather than usually looking like he had never played.QB before, was more afraid of making a mistake than doing things well, and who had no accuracy like he did with the Jets. The kid has talent and was the consensus #2 pick in the draft for a reason. He could still wind up busting because of the mental aspects of the game (struggling to read Ds, dealing with blitzes/pressure, and an inability to make good, quick decisions). After receiving good coaching (something he never got from the Jets except a little from Rodgers) and learning from Payton from a year, his floor could wind up being a quality backup, and his ceiling could be a quality starter and even top 15 QB. But you do you and keep scoffing and laughing at any mention of Zach playing well.

18. NCJetsfan

It's far from ideal, but it's not the end of the world for him. Look how long it took for the light to go on with Geno Smith. Do you think the Seahawks regret signing him and having him be their starter? Not a chance. I'm not saying the same thing will happen with Zach, but it could. For the first time in his NFL career, he's finally getting good coaching and is learning how to play the QB position in the NFL. It's not a coincidence, that suddenly he's playing better and has stacked practices and games for 3 weeks. It's baby steps. But if he continues to learn and improve, the Broncos could wind up trading him and getting a good draft pick for him or if Nix gets injured to busts, Zach could potentially become the Broncos starter. Payton would look like a genius then rather than an asshole for criticizing Hackett.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Some people clearly know what to look for

abyzmul likes this.
  20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Sam was always his own biggest enemy. I have no doubt he's going to sling it all over the yard up in Minnesota, however, true to himself, he will throw a killer interception at the worst possible moment and then Vikings fans will know what Jets/Carolina fans know all too well. 49'ers don't count. He wasn't really needed for much.

Look, the Jets have never..............ever..............been a place that fosters and grows QB's. It's just not what this team does. You want a D-Lineman, LB'er or top flight corner? The Jets are your team. But foster and teach a young QB? Never. I'm 100% convinced that if Tom Brady were drafted by the Jets it's a better than average bet he would be on the same trajectory as Sam Darnold or Wilson. There simply is too much historical "tape" on this team to state otherwise. I hope they both do well but history tells us that both will never amount to anything more than what trajectory Darnold is on now. A career backup, if that.

With my statement I was merely musing that if...a BIG IF...Wilson amounts to more than a hat rack, in Denver, heads SHOULD roll at 1 Jets Plaza.

The hilarity of it all... In this era of NFL football, it's a 100% FACT that the ONLY teams that do well are those that can land a franchise QB. Now, seeing as the Jets are one of those teams that will NEVER find, train and foster a young franchise QB that then, in turn, would suggest that the best this team will EVER be able to cobble together is a couple of decent years, here and there, with a vet, like Rodgers, on the last legs of their careers. We can't even hope for a Stafford/Rams type of result simply because the Rams had a franchise QB in Geoff to trade to the Lions! THESE are the things that keep me up at night.

stinkyB likes this.