QB3

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Aug 25, 2024.

?

Who wins the QB3 contest?

1. Peasley

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Martinez

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. none of the above

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Who will it be?? I think Martinez probably because of his mobility and prior experience. He does not have a QB1 arm however and that's Peasley's advantage.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Martinez could be worth a PS add. But I'm serious about Mike White. I'd roster a legitimate 3rd QB. It's not crazy to think Rodgers and Taylor could go down for some time and this roster is too good and too built to win now than to trot JP Martinez out there. If not MW, I'd look at another vet for the practice squad if possible.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

None of the above.

In theory I'd be interested in Mike White returning, but he'd be backing up a 40 year-old coming off an achilles and a guy who gets injured a lot, all while being someone who himself gets injured quite frequently, so I feel a bit wary about that one.

Then again, it doesn't really matter. If someone has to come in to replace Aaron Rodgers and Tyrod Taylor, the team's already slim playoff hopes will be gone anyway.

westiedog1, SOJAZ and Mogriffjr like this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I caught some Indy preseason and they got a guy--last name Bean--if he hits the waiver wire I'd be happy if the NYJ can sign him to the PS.

We need someone who can be developed--due to Martinez lack of arm, I just don't think he's worth the resources and Peasley's just rotten. Peas had opportunities to stand in the pocket and/or scramble a bit while keeping his look downfield but he doesn't have the wherewithal. That was such a great opportunity--no one cares if you scramble for a few positive yards--you got to stand tall and make a throw. Take the hit if you want to be an NFL QB. IMO.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No need to get cute. Martinez is the easy answer. Hope we never need our QB3 to start more than 1 game.

IDFjet likes this.
  6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Nobody

Sent from my genius mind.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m shocked Peasley even got a NFL look. He was awful at Utah State to the point where they felt the QB draw was more effective than letting him pass. He was ok at Wyoming but despite the cool TD/INT ratio he averaged 148 YPG.

Martinez is supremely talented and always has been. Doesn’t have the processing power in between the ears. I’m with you on liking Jason Bean but the dudes just too skinny to ever be a pro QB. 6’3” 190 pounds is generous.

#7 Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 25, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2024
    IDFjet likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, especially with rostering a QB3. If both Rodgers and Taylor go down for any length of time, the season is pretty much over, unless they already pretty much have earned a playoff spot. Even so, they're going nowhere in the playoffs with a QB3.

Mike White is so overrated by Jets fans, and he is the past. It's time to move on.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Ideally, a good young QB prospect gets cut by some team, and the Jets can sign him to the PS. I wouldn't say that Martinez is supremely talented at all. He's fast and has good runnings skills, but he holds the ball too long, doesn't anticipate throws, doesn't have ideal arm strength, or accuracy or ball placement. IMO Peasley is better than Martinez, he just isn't as mobile. Even he is not really good enough, however.

10. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I saw Peasley stay in the pocket and take big hits while delivering passes in his college videos, and I've seen him do it in preseason with the Jets. Peasley is equal to Martinez imo in terms of decision making, poise in the pocket, and reading Ds, and much better in terms of arm talent/accuracy, but he still is not good enough.

I'd be interested in Bean, and the Browns are likely to cut a QB who may be better than Peasley and Martinez combined.

#10 NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    Cman68 likes this.
  11. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

sign Mike White. Develop a QB haha are you Jets fan on here?

stinkyB likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's OK, he can't hurt Zach Wilson's feelings anymore...

SOJAZ and jets_fan like this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

No need to roster a QB3 on the 53. Too much talent at other positions (DLine, RB, CB) to waste a spot on a third QB.

Martinez to the practice squad for now. It's the simple answer. No need to over think it.

Losmeister and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Tyrod Taylor has gotten hurt in every season since 2017, and that is as a backup. Except 2019 and 2022 when he only played a few snaps. He averages about 3 starts before going down.

If we do need a backup, we'll need more than him.

#14 ouchy, Aug 26, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But can still cause cramps for the ZW fanboi group.

jets_fan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Not for this former "fanboi." White simply isn't good enough. He can't stay healthy himself, and his arm isn't good enough, and he can't really manage a game, either.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Yesterday, today or tomorrow I'll take White over Wilson in a heartbeat.

Jets69, SOJAZ and jets_fan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

That's your prerogative. For the Jets, I'd take White over Wilson as well. But for any other team, I'd take Wilson over White. Payton is teaching Zach how to play QB. I watched film of his game from Sunday, and he looked like the QB I thought I'd see with the Jets his rookie season. It's too early to say yet, but since he's on the Broncos roster, he has a chance to continue learning and developing pressure-free this year. Next year could be a very different story with Zach, but I'll believe it when I see it happen consistently. Still, I'm happy for the kid. I hate to see talent go to waste.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Former fanboi?

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We can always get someone on PS that's as good or better than the pathetic scrubs we have now. Heck, even Mike White is probably better. But QB3 for us right now is a PS spot, not on 53 man roster.

SOJAZ, Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.