The Final 53

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 17, 2024.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Will Izzy make the 53?

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Magic 8 ball says "signs point to yes"

BacktoQueens, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don’t see how he does. 4 running backs? Why

Cman68 likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know what you mean but I can see Joe justifying it by not carrying a fullback like they have the past few years.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

that's a good point. Do we know if Izzy plays special teams cause that could save him too

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

My personal analysis is that it comes down to Izzy vs Condrington. I don't see carrying Condrington for just kick returns and not sure about his coverage skills as 1 of 6 corners.

Rather my current view has Isaiah Davis returning punts--(not sure who's going to return KO's). Furthermore I don't see Davis getting a lot of snaps as a traditional RB but rather a 3rd down back and I see him split as a WR in the mode of Edelman at times.

This leaves traditional RB snaps behind Breece for both Braelon and Izzy.

Furthermore, if there was an injury at the top 3 RB positions, we could not do better than Izzy at the price so we should keep him around.

But if they keep Condrington exclusively for returns, I don't see how they can keep Izzy too. I just don't think that would optimal.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could definitely be right. It's going to be interesting, and more than likely, any way the Jets go, there will be some screaming for JD's head. One thing I read recently that I had forgotten about was that vested veterans don't have to pass through waivers, so the Jets could waive a couple of veterans like they did with Morstead and Zuerlein last year, then bring them back the next day, then they can place those vets on the PS or put put young players on IR so they can potentially come back at some point in the season. I know I wouldn't want to be the one making the cuts. I think these will be the hardest cuts for the Jets that I can remember in my 60 years of being a Jets fan. Of course, I'm sure a lot of that is when I was younger and prior to the internet, we didn't get nearly the information out of TC or see videos of practices, so we didn't know as much about the players as we do now.

twown likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

IMO its dirty pool when he does that with the vets. He shouldn't do that

9. NCJetsfan

Why is it dirty pool? He asks the players' permission before he does it, and I think they get a little financial incentive for doing it. It helps the team. It's just gaming the system.

I would agree that it's dirty pool if he doesn't get the player's permission and doesn't tell them what he's going to do, then just cuts them, and then surprises them by bringing them back, but that's not what he does according to the media and players. Both Morstead and Zuerlein were quoted last year as they were fine with it.

Would you rather just lose players totally or for the year rather than being able to stash them on short-term IR or put them on the PS?

The ones where I think it's dirty pool, is when they cut a veteran so his salary isn't guaranteed for the full season, and then bring him back after the first game. In that situation, even if the Jets cough up a little more money, the player's contract isn't guaranteed for the season, so he could wind up getting cut at some point and maybe not get picked up by another team.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

what financial incentive do the players get for being cut and losing their season long guarantee?

one of these years Douglas IS going to lose a guy completely, when he cuts them and another team comes calling

11. NCJetsfan

As I said with my last sentence that you quoted, "The ones where I think it's dirty pool, is when they cut a veteran so his salary isn't guaranteed for the full season, and then bring him back after the first game. In that situation, even if the Jets cough up a little more money, the player's contract isn't guaranteed for the season, so he could wind up getting cut at some point and maybe not get picked up by another team." Thus there is no financial incentive there, and it's not a good move for a player, but sometimes those are older vets who are backups, and not likely to play much anyway, and they're happy with being a Jet. I only remember that happening once, maybe twice since JD has been GM. I believe that it's league-wide practice among GMs however. It's certainly not optimal for the player, but sometimes the only way they keep their job.

I don't think JD will lose a player when it's done as a roster move to save a player from being lost for the season. In those cases, as I said earlier, he asks the players if they would have a problem with his doing that and if they do he doesn't do it. I think he asked someone about that last year and they said no, so he did it with Morstead and Zuerlein. They had agreed to do that and I'm sure if other teams contacted their agents the agents told the teams that the players were going back to the Jets and weren't available. Of course, a player could change his mind if he was disgruntled, and cross the Jets up and sign with another team for more money, but hopefully JD would be wise enough to not ask a player who is disgruntled over playing time or salary (or both) to do that.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

I dont think its a league wide practice for teams to cut their kickers and then sign them back before week 1. I've seen it with backup QBs, I think its kind of a bush move there too but at least they are often beaten out for the backup job which explains the move. This dosey-doe he does with kickers to save a roster spot, for like 1 day, is not standard across the league

13. NCJetsfan

No, not their kickers, but I think it may be with other veteran players at other positions, such as the backup QB you mentioned. I don't follow other teams closely enough to know for certain, but even if it's not practiced by all GMs, as long as the players agree to it, and come back, then I have no problem with it.

I don't like when they cut a vested player and bring him back after the 1st game so that his salary isn't guaranteed, however.

14. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I know he’s been getting a lot of but , and Saleh+ ulbrich hyped him up-but is it me or has every report about Clemens either been non descript or bad?

Any chance they r hyping him
    Up to trade him?

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Punt returns is still Gipson.
    It’s good to know Davis can handle also if he becomes needed. And Davis is a solid versatile RB. I don’t see him as a slot WR at all. But he’s a lock at RB with specials contribution.

Kick returns it looks like Corley.
    interesting preseason wrinkle, I noticed a lot of teams fielding two returners in the landing zone which makes sense based on the new rules.
    Codrington has an outside chance but not sure it’s worth the roster spot. They could put Gipson or Davis as the second returner too.

Izzy as the fourth string RB has a difficult path to the 53.
    There is a lot of Dlineman that are interesting we may want to keep considering the hold out, and a lot of WRs like Charles who are effective on specials. Final roster spots may be better served there. Will be interesting.

16. NCJetsfan

Good question. Two weeks ago, I would have said no, but he looked good vs Carolina. If he looks good vs. the Gnats on Saturday night, I think he will make it. He has run the ball better than Davis in preseason action. They could use Davis as a returner and 3rd down back.

Whether Izzy makes it could come down to whether Reddick reports or how well Watts and Brownlee play vs the Gnats. If they don't have good games, then maybe Izzy makes it, but if they do, he won't.

17. NCJetsfan

I that most of the years that Saleh has been HC they've kept 4 RBs.

18. NCJetsfan

I don't know who would trade for Clemens. He wasn't very effective or good last season, and I haven't heard his name mentioned this TC by the beat reporters or fans who attended practices. Supposedly, he's going to start opposite JJ.

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

We're going to have to do some form 5-2-4 defense if the best we got is Clemons at DE--and I was a big fan of his after year 1. We're going to get gashed--there's no way we could just roll him out there.

Luck for us our secondary is ++.

This said I'll be happy to be found incorrect.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

All I've heard about Clemons is that he's a suspect for Roid Rage. Always getting in fights on the field, but not producing enough to make his antics worth it. McGregor should be able to hold that spot down opposite JJ. I'm big on McGregor stepping up.

themorey likes this.