The Final 53

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 17, 2024.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My gut says neither will make the final 53. I don’t think they are worried about the risk of waivers. May be this final game will prove me wrong

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I might be wrong here but hasn't Schweitzer played C before? Feels like he's our backup C/IOL depth guy.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He has, but he's a better OG than C. He is probably our primary backup C/OG, but I think the Jets need another IOL who can play C. Schweitzer has had injuries too, and is at the age (30) where he can be more injury prone. Newman has played C. Hanson has played C. They have been working Latham at C some in TC. I'm not certain if any of them are good enough if the need arises. If the injuries on the OL continue this year, the Jets need to be prepared and have someone else on the roster, or PS who can play C at a pretty high level.

I've missed your posts. I guess that life and the new wife are keeping you pretty busy.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he has limited experience at center. I believe he was billed as a backup center because he had a game or two in Washington at the position but that's about it.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

I dont think Chazz Surratt is getting cut. Just my gut feeling, Saleh loves him

Lon Chaney and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I definitely agree. Neither looks good enough to make the roster or to worry about losing to waivers. They may even wind up signing another young QB who is a camp cut and putting him on the PS.

LAJet likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Yes, I've read that Saleh loves him, and that could indeed keep him on the squad, but according to TC reports, Barnes has outplayed him in TC. Aside from keeping one less CB, WR, OL or DL, there's not another position group they could keep one less player. I think they could better afford to keep only 4 LBs than 4 CBs, 6 WRs, 9 OL, or 8-9 DL

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm sure they're hoping Tippman can stay healthy all year but as we've seen over these last few years, hope is not an effective planning method haha

As you said earlier, hopefully a solid backup C option emerges through cuts this year and the Jets can snag them on waivers.

Life and work have certainly gotten the better of me these past couple of months, hoping these fall months will be a little calmer!

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@NCJetsfan

I will sticky this thread and unsticky the Roster Moves thread.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't see them keeping 6 LB's either so Surrat vs Eguavoen for number 5 and Saleh likes Egu too. They could both be cut tho like u say. If Reddick is still unreported theres a better chance they keep 5 LB's on the 53 come game 1.

I think Surrat has a better chance of being picked up on waivers than Egu so we may lose him altogether. If not, they can come off the PS for games etc.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
    Jets injury updates:

NB Michael Carter (ankle): Day-to-day. Will be re-evaluated at the end of the week
    TE Jeremy Ruckert (concussion): Back to practice (red jersey)
    CB Jarrick Bernard-Converse (groin), S Isaiah Oliver (undisclosed) and DT Leki Fotu (hamstring) out the rest of camp, should be ready for Week 1, per Saleh

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I used to play tackle football with my friends as a teenager. I had great hands as a WR and I could run pretty well. Having said that, I don't like my chances of making the final 53. I think it's ageism. So what if I'm in my 50s!

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Zach Cunningham and Kwon Alexander are still floating around out there as off the ball linebackers. Might not be bad mercenaries to have at our disposal.

I think we’re in big trouble if Mosley or Quincy go down especially since we try to fly with only two backers and MC2 on the field.

blackssmagic, Lon Chaney and Ptflea2 like this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If Kwon wasn't good enough for us last year IDK how JD can justify him this year. But maybe so.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

In addition, Sherwood and Barnes are speedy and have had great TCs. I think the Jets would be perfectly confident to have those two playing. In addition if they have Surratt and Equavoen on the PS, I think they would be fine at LB.

SOJAZ and AtlantaJet like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Jack
    @jackstollow

·
    Follow
    #Jets’ Xavier Newman has earned the fifth-highest overall PFF grade (78.6) among interior offensive linemen with a min. of 50 snaps played this preseason he’s the only one of those five interior linemen to have played all three interior spots — C, RG, LG — so far this preseason

That flexibility, if not his play, should earn him a spot on the roster. Between Schweitzer, Newman, and either Mitchell or Glaser or Levao, the Jets should have the IOL covered pretty well, unless someone better is a camp cut.

AtlantaJet and JetFanInPA like this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

They seem to think highly of Jamien Sherwood and I've heard some positive reports from him out of camp. Either of those two would be a huge loss, but I'd be surprised if they don't roll with Sherwood and then Barnes and/or Surratt

NCJetsfan, themorey and AtlantaJet like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

Sherwood is my pick to break out this season. You can tell he is ready and soaked up Mosley’s knowledge/leadership like a sponge.

When he’s out there he’s directing his teammates where to go and everything just like Mosley

NCJetsfan, mezzavo, themorey and 4 others like this.