The Final 53

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 17, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought I'd take a stab at whom I think will make up the roster and PS. Of course, this could change with injuries, Reddick reporting, or a player who has been hot in TC cooling off, and someone else getting hot in the last week or so of TC preseason games and joint practices.

Offense (25)

QB – Rodgers, Taylor

RB – Hall, Allen, Davis

WR – Wilson, Williams, Corley, Gipson, Lazard, Brownlee, Charles

TE – Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah

OL – Smith, Simpson, Tippman, AVT, Moses, Fashanu, Schweitzer, Warren, Levao, Newman

Defense (25)

DL – JJ, Q, Kinlaw, Clemons, McDonald, Foku, Solomon, McKinley, Taylor, Watts

LB – Mosely, Q Williams, Sherwood, Barnes, Surratt

CB – Sauce, Reed, JBC, Stiggers, Echols, MC II

S – Adams, Clark, Davis, Oliver

STs (3)

LS - Hennessy

K - Zuerlein

P - Morstead

PS (16) This is the wildcard. Any of the following players could be claimed by another team. JD also usually signs a cut or two from other teams. I think the Jets should keep both QBs as one could get signed off the PS, but think they'll probably only keep 1. Without the players with question marks after their names and with only 1 QB, I have 14 of the 16 spots filled. The other 2 could either be from those with question marks, players cut from other teams, one from another team and one with the question mark,or if the Jets do sign a camp cut or two, the players who were cut to make room for the addition of the camp cuts. I don't remember a deeper, more talented roster in a long time, maybe ever.

QB - Peasley and/or Martinez

RB - Izzy, Valladay? Deon Jackson?

WR - Malik Taylor, Tyler Harrell, Brandon Smith

TE - Kuntz, Sefcik? Firkser?

OL - Latham, Mitchell

Edge - McGregor, Holmes

LB - Eguavoen

DT - Hector

CB - Codrington

S - Oliver, Key? Monroe?

*Foreign Exemption - Obinna Eze (doesn't count in the 16 PS players)

#1 NCJetsfan, Aug 17, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
    KY Jets Fan and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That’s a pretty good list and probably very close to what ends up happening

Couple thoughts:

QB - do they keep a 3rd on the 53 as both AR and TT are older guys and have had injury issues…something to look for
    RB - they may keep a 4th RB, I think they kept 4 last year, and if so, it probably comes out of the LB group
    OL - do they keep 9 or 10?
    LB - I’m thinking they keep one of either Barnes or Surratt…not sure they keep both, especially if they want to keep 4 RBs

Not saying your list is wrong, but those would be my questions

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Codrington as the return man. He earned it

blackssmagic, themorey and AtlantaJet like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Didn’t Bernard Converse get hurt last night?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I hope the Jets are prepared to put one of these scrub third linebackers on the field more often. We are facing a schedule of some teams that want to run the ball and punch you in the mouth.

49ers, Bills (2x), Colts, Steelers, Seahawks, Rams.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

They should.

I know this is the Jets we're talking about here, but surely even Joe Douglas has learned the lesson of having enough capable bodies at that position in the event an emergency happens.

But, then again, I won't be holding my breath waiting for evidence that the management of this team has learned anything from last year's self-inflicted debacle.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO The problem last year with the Jets QBs had very little to do with how many we kept on the active roster and everything to do with the massive lack of talent in the roster behind AR. Yesterday game and next week against the Giants will determine if we have a legit number 3 on the roster or we need to make another move or two including the practice squad. My gut says Martínez is scheduled to be the PS guy but not 100% sure we have a number 3 yet.

#7 LAJet, Aug 18, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Earned it last night. How has he been otherwise?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ashtyn probably hits harder than all of them.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah. Just ask Cam Newton.

blackssmagic and abyzmul like this.
  11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I wonder what folks thoughts are on whether or not Reddick actually shows up and when.

As far as the 53 is concerned, the OP's looks pretty good to me. Another question, what do they do with Travis? Where do they stick him, especially if they feel he's vulnerable on the P.S?

12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

A couple thoughts on your thoughts:

QB: IMO there’s no need to keep 3, we’re not signing a high end #3 and neither of the guys playing in the preseason are getting scooped up by another team

RB and OL: BS keeps 4 and 9 every year….. I’d be OK with 3 and 10

LB and Others: I wonder how the new kickoff rules will affect the 53…. Irv Charles is never seeing the field as a WR with those stone hands, is he a better fit for ST than a bigger guy like a TE or someone who works in tight space like a LB…

I wouldn’t be suprised if Boyer is the one who decides how many TE, LB, S, WR, and RBs make the 53

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

QB - The only reason to keep a QB on the roster as the #3 is if they're afraid another team will sign him off the PS. I believe the rules changed last year where they can bring the 3rd QB off the PS to play if both the #1 and #2 QB go down with injuries in a game.

RB - They may keep 4 RBs. Izzy looked pretty good last night. If so, I agree that it will probably mean that they keep one less LB.

OL - I don't think there's any way they keep just 9 OL. Smith, Simpson, Tippman, AVT, Moses, Fashanu, and Schweitzer are locks. That's 7 players already. At a minimum, they need 2 more IOL for depth, and at least one more OT. I think Levao will make the team, and that will make 8. I think the Jets will want to keep both Warren and Mitchell, and that makes 10. Even at that, they don't have another backup C on the roster. I think the chances are pretty good that if a pretty good IOL (especially if he can play C) or S are camp cuts, the Jets will put in claims for one or both.

LB - I agree that if they decide to keep 4 RBs or even a 4th TE (Firkser) the LB group is where they would have to make the cut, and it would be between Barnes and Surratt. Barnes has had a very good TC, so I think Surratt would be the odd man out.

KY Jets Fan and Jets79 like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Please NO!

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. A 3rd QB is a waste of a roster spot. I think the rule changed last year where if both the #1 and #2 QBs are hurt in the game, the #QB who is on the PS can enter the game.

16. NCJetsfan

I don't think it's Martinez at all. He has more experience than Peasley, but he doesn't have the arm talent of Peasley and he looked awful last night. His accuracy was terrible and he showed no anticipation. He was lucky not to have 2-3 passes interecepted.

IDFjet likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Right now, Travis is on the NFI (Non-Football Injury) List, which is where college players who had off-season surgery and aren't healthy yet, go. If he can't stay on that list when the season starts, then he will go on IR.

Jets79 and mezzavo like this.
  18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The emergency QB has to be on the 53--but we can dress him as emergency and he wont count against active gameday 45. At least that was last year.

I don't see either of peasely or martinez not getting exposed to waivers--just not worth a spot for either of these IMO.

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You are correct--he looked like hell--with a weak arm. He has other intangibles like he can scramble and throw on the run but he's not NFL ready even remotely IMO

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the correction. I knew there was something new or different. So the Jets may need to keep a 3rd QB on the roster. Hopefully, they can just keep one on the PS, and in the event that Taylor or perish the thought, Rodgers, gets injured in practice or a game, they can elevate him off the PS for the next game.

#20 NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2024