Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Not only this, but Reddick is coming to work eventually. He has no choice, there’s zero chance he’s gonna forego a season of eligibility to have a stare down with a team that clearly doesn’t want him long term anyway. He was brought here to play this year, he was probably gonna get a little extra bone in guaranteed money if he showed up on timez. Now he’ll get what his contract dictates or he can sit on his ass all year.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree with most of this…clearly losing either AR or GW would be way worse to the overall team, and agree that the position is still deep.

However, I think Reddick was actually replacing the combo of JFM (who was the starter) and Huff (the situational pass rusher). Remember, we got rid of JFM as well, and Huff was not the every down starter, JFM was. Reddick is a starter. I think that Reddick was envisioned as a better JFM…a guy who can start AND bring the sacks, and then McD would be more filling Huff’s shoes as the situational rusher.

We’ll see how it goes, but without Reddick, our edge position is not really deep at all. We have exactly one proven guy in JJ. We’d be starting some combo of Clemons/McDonald at the other side, and while you would and should expect a first round pick to be not only a starter, but a good one, McD hasn’t done that yet. Clemons hasn’t shown he can be a top quality starter either. So we really do need Reddick. I like McD and Clemons much much better as reserves than as starters.

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

IMO Reddick won't sit out the whole year. He'll show up as a jet around game 2, be out of shape, and be a non-factor all year. Then he'll sign elsewhere after the season and blame the jets for his poor 2024 performance.

cmcm750203, mezzavo and JetsNation06 like this.
  4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt it playing out like that at all. And if it does, Joe Douglas needs to be gone yesterday for one of the biggest trade gaffes in NFL history. Giving up valuable draft capital and then have this circus act take place.

You don't make a deal if you don't think you can meet the guy's request for a new contract. Everyone in the free world knew he was looking for a contract. That's basic 101 GM shit that seems to escape Douglas time and again.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  5. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the kind of guy he is, though. I think he really wants to play, he's just letting his agent try to force a deal. In reality, he should probably fire that agent and come to camp.

He has a chance to earn himself a big contract next year by playing on a team with a top LB core, top cornerback unit, top Dline and top edge unit with him. He has the chance to feast here and a chance to win the super bowl and he knows it.

I'm definitely not against the guy, but I feel his agent is purposely medaling for his own personal benefit, he's involved with a bunch of other hold outs this year as well. I miss the days when people would actually live up to their contracts.

#285 Jets OG fan, Aug 15, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
  6. JetsNation06

You're making assumptions and letting your emotions get involved instead of looking at this factually. It's not the agent's fault, he's just doing his job.

Look at the 800lb gorilla in the room. His name ends in Douglas. It's GM 101 to ensure a deal is worked out before trading any assets away regardless of a player's attitude or his agent pining for a bigger payday.

You don't make the deal if you have any doubt that the contract won't get worked out. Bottom line.

AndyDrums and Ralebird like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

On one hand, I do think Reddick's agent is overplaying his hand here. Reddick really has no real leverage other than "reporting" to the team and then faking an injury so he can become a free agent after the year without actually risking real injury or playing. It's a very nuclear option.

But I'm also inclined to believe that JD screwed this up, because this just the latest in a long line of bizarre issues he's had with various players - contract issues, injury designations, etc.

Reddick sitting out the entire season would suck, but his presence is almost certainly not going to be the difference between winning a Super Bowl or not. We have the leverage, and we're doing the right thing now by essentially telling him to fuck off.

8. JetsNation06

I agree with most of your post but I don't know about the bolded sentence. Stud pass rushers don't grow on trees. Reddick is a proven one. Those guys can be big difference makers come playoff time. My post was just more about the incompetence of Joe Douglas way too many times during his Jets tenure.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Every day that Woody Johnson continues to employ Joe Douglas as the GM is another day that the Jets clearly tell their fan base that they are not even remotely trying to put together a winning organization. It’s been five going on six years of incompetence with that one all-time great draft bringing the overall average up just slightly over his predecessors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyDrums likes this.
  10. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

You're not wrong about the rotation, which drives me crazy by the way. Play your best players. Also, it gives a QB who can read defenses a better idea of what's coming at him.

I don't really see it with Old Mcdonald yet, not gonna lie. He needs to bulk up. The speed moves, which he specializes in, don't work against your top OT's. Those guys are just as fast and way stronger.

End of this story is Saleh and Ulbrich are gonna have to get a little creative if we don't have Reddick. I get the feeling we're gonna be relying on coverage sacks and that doesn't hold up over the course of games, or seasons.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It almost certainly won't be just because we're almost certainly not winning a Super Bowl with or without Reddick. But if we're actually good enough to win a Super Bowl, which is the only scenario in which any of what Douglas has done makes sense, then a star pass rusher absolutely can be the difference in a close playoff game.

REVISion and JetsNation06 like this.
  12. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Super bowl. Robert Saleh. Nathaniel Hackett. LMFAO.

mattyd99 likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah hard to see Hackett as a Super Bowl winning OC

But it’s interesting though with Saleh…he hasn’t been good by any stretch.

But we can also go back and agree that Zach Wilson sucked total ass and so how did a shit coach like Saleh manage to win 7 games with Zach as his QB1?

Feels a bit like we can’t have it both ways right?

I don’t know…I don’t think Saleh is a very good HC but I do think pretty much no coach could have won with Zach…we’ll see what Sean Payton does over in Denver with Zach…

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Moneys there ..just pay this beast

We are good .,but with HR >>>great

JetsNation06 likes this.
  15. JetsNation06

My thoughts exactly. We are talking about a difference maker rush end here and we've all seen what they can do to help win SBs - Chris Jones, Von Miller, etc.

Pay the man.

NYJetsO12 and Bellys Lies like this.
  16. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I get the piss poor QB play and agree, however, what I cannot comprehend is the amount of times Saleh's team(s) have come out of the locker room on game days looking totally unprepared, disorganaized and disinterested. There were (many) games when I asked myself if they even had a single minute of game planning / practice during the week. Until proven otherwise on the field from Sept-Jan or heaven forbid Feb, I have zero faith in this CS to win anything but a top 10 draft pick. All they do is talk, and never produce anything but losses. Time to shut their mouths, go out and kick somebodys ass. Go out and beat up Brock Purdy and win the game against SF, instead of losing 35-13 like I think they will (I think they have zero chance to win,in week 1, which by the way, is a very familiar feeling with Saleh's teams).

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

We get it. You absolutely hate Saleh.

However, your coaching discrimination sounds very similar to many Rex Ryan teams. And he's worshipped around these parts.

Ryan's teams were dreadful after bye's, would talk trash all week against the good teams, but looked terrible against "lower competition." Shit, I remember how they came out against the Steelers in the AFCCG in the first half flatter than a pancake. How does that happen?

Ultimately he's gonna be judged by wins and loses, i understand. But I really do think Saleh has been fighting an upfield battle for the most part given his options at QB the last 3 years and meddling, incompetent ownership.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah we’ll see how much of the losing was Saleh and how much was the shit we’ve had at QB. I’m sure in reality it’s a bit of both.

But it sure does feel like this is going to be a make or break season for both Saleh and JD…and as it’ll be year 4 for them together, I think that’s appropriate. They have AR. They have a very good D. They’ve got some young stars on both sides of the ball with GW and Hall on O and Sauce and Q on D. They should be a winning team this year. No more excuses.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

At this point it's all speculation. The why's, what's and how did this happen?

What I want to know is and hope someone can answer...

If Reddick shows up, mid-season, expecting to play and get an accrued year, can the Jets simply not add him to the game day roster thus foiling that plan? Could they, essentially, say, "you weren't here for the first 11 games so you aren't going to suit up the remaining six?" Is that actually a possibility? I do know that his salary isn't guaranteed so if he doesn't suit up he doesn't get paid. Can anyone answer my question? Yes, it's extreme but, for academic purposes, I'm just wondering...

20. remedy29

remedy29 New Member

The NFL active roster is 53. Reddick, if/when he shows up, is either on the active roster or is cut. If he is on the active roster, he will incur his time and pay.
    The game day roster of 48, only means which players of the 53 suit up on a given Sunday.