Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wait... how did they push 15mil into the year after his contract expires? Didn't they void the rest of the years?

#261 abyzmul, Aug 14, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
    ouchy likes this.
  2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

@ouchy @abyzmul

Nothing gets pushed into next year. His cap hit is $750,000 with $14 million in cash because of the voided years.

There is no cap hit to either team after this year.

mezzavo, ouchy and abyzmul like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

That's a fair counter but not specifically what I was trying to convey.

Yes, in the general sense, all draft picks are lottery tickets and you hope you strike gold. You are gambling with the pick because it's uncertain, despite all of your due diligence, they may not become a good player (or an NFL player).

In terms of the "gambling reference" to the Joe Douglas move, the way you phrased your scenario, it was gambling in the sense that the asset was unsecured and Joe Douglas YOLO'd it regardless. I don't see him being the careless type to trade assets for "hope".

Again, draft picks are speculative, Hassan Reddick (productivity) is not a speculative (or at least far less speculative than a draft pick)...and so if you are trading draft picks for a developed asset, you better not wind up back at square 1 with nothing.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Given the current situation, it seems that's exactly what he did....

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It does. But I'm getting a strong sense we don't have all the facts. And again, if this is indeed what happened, it's fireable (aside from drafting Wilson etc).

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Very well said. I remember the game in Dallas last year. I flew to Dallas to watch the game. Yes there was the psychological impact of losing Rodgers for the season. But defense was completely destroyed by Dallas. Without strong pass rush no defense can stop a good offense. We need Reddick. He is elite. But fuck him for this drama as well.

themorey, mezzavo and mattyd99 like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was referring to Reddick's availability not his production. Douglas had to know there was a risk Reddick would hold out

8. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

No pass rush? Don't we have Quinnen Williams and Jermaine Johnson? Don't we have a top LB core and top dline?

mezzavo, SOJAZ and All Gas No Shake like this.
  9. Jets OG fan

From what I've read, Reddick agreed to show up to camp under the assumption that they would restructure the deal. He never told them he wanted 25m at the time and basically lied to the team and then reneged. Jets were never planning on giving an extension and he knew that, now his asshole agent is just trying to throw his weight around and force it, when they have no leverage at all. Like I said, I don't care if he sits out, the D is good enough without him. We are much more reliant on Rodgers, Tyron Smith, Wilson, Sauce & Breece Hall.

themorey, mezzavo and SOJAZ like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you read that from Connor Hughes though who has been contradicting other reports

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well yes I agree with you…the team HAS to pay all of the guaranteed money regardless, but they CAN still cut him. There have been players who get cut from a team and yet that team is still paying them because they had guaranteed money left.

So in general teams, my position is just that if a team can cut an underperforming player at any time, then the player should also have some kind of leverage when he overperforms. Though you do raise a great point with the Lazard example of a player greatly underperforming his contract and not giving money back.

As to Reddick specifically, it’s just a bit of a shit show and there’s probably blame all around. We don’t know what he told JD, but I think it’s safe to assume his agent assured JD that he’d show up … he wanted out of Philly because he knew they weren’t going to give him anything, so of course he’d just say whatever JD needed to hear. I 100% believe Reddick and his agent lied about shit. No question. Still, JD should have known better anyway. Especially if he tried to renegotiate at the time and they didn’t take the deal…that alone should have told him they weren’t going to just go easily…they were going to play hardball. That was the time for JD to say take it or leave it, and if you don’t take it, then we have no trade. He may have been gambling on the player not sitting out in the end and caving, which may still happen, but it’s a distraction that we don’t need.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  12. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

The 2 of them combined had 2 more sacks than Reddick last year.

If you don’t get to the passer most QBs are going to shred you. Especially on 3rd and long situations

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Just gotta say…I LOVE your avatar! Love that movie.

Funny but my son actually got me a Falco jersey and I wear it to games (doing a stadium tour) if I’m not seeing the Jets play, and I get a ton of great reactions from people…

Good call!

mattyd99 likes this.
  14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

So you’re convinced Reddick is gonna sit out the season if we don’t cave? He’s going to go ahead and lose a year of eligibility, not get paid, and go into next season in the exact same scenario, only a year older? Thats his only option. If you think he’s gonna do that then you definitely should try smoking some of my good shit. This is all offseason bluster. He’ll be here when he has to be. His job is to sack the QB, he’s not missing anything groundbreaking. The only thing he did by not showing was killed his chances of at least getting more money guaranteed for this season.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It appears his base salary is temporarily removed from our cap number because he is on the 'did not report' list. The moment he does report 14.5 million adds to our cap, leaving us dangerously low in cap space going into the season. We balked at paying Huff 17 million, which now seems like a steal considering he back loaded his deal and is only hitting the cap for 6 million a year in 24 and 25.

There is really no way we can negotiate the contract he wants, especially with the young players contracts coming up. We don't have any cap wriggle room this year or next year. Maybe we offer incentives that stretch out over years. But I don't see us being able to offer anything to tempting. Especially since I've been reading now he wants 30 million a year, which is what the formula lists his worth at.

#275 ouchy, Aug 14, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
    Bellys Lies likes this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

jermaine johnson is a young, ascending player. his numbers are going to go up.

mezzavo, Jets OG fan and SOJAZ like this.
  17. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

If he sits out the year his contract tolls and he doesn't sign with anyone and we do this all again. Who is paying top dollar for a 32 year old who hasn't played in 2 years at that point?

18. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

That is awesome!!

Jets79 likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's true that a team can cut a player and still has to pay him, but isn't it beneficial to the player in vast majority of the cases? Instead of not playing the guy, he gets paid anyway and can get a second pay check from another team and possibly more playing time and for the team he prefers. We've seen Jets do it many times: Bell, Amos - usually players want to be cut and get paid. What's the point of rotting on the bench, when you can get paid extra check and play. Or even if you don't find anything, you get paid anyway, don't risk an injury, etc...

Cutting underperforming player and still honoring his contract financially to me is not really a negative for a plyer but mostly positive. Which is why it's all about the contract. Needs to be honored on both sides: financials from the team and effort from the player. And again, I am not defending JD here at all, he surely fucked up huge. But Hassan needs to honor his contract.

20. Jets OG fan

Don't forget they had a deep rotation at Edge. They liked to keep their pass rushers fresh. I don't think that stat has any bearing on anything, plus other people on the line get sacks as well.

Reddick's a great player. Obviously I'd prefer to have him, but if we lost him it wouldn't be like losing Aaron Rodgers or Garrett Wilson because the position is deep. Reddick was brought in to fill Huff's shoes, but I think WMD can fill that role as a situational pass rusher, while Reddick brings more overall.