2024 Jets Training Camp - News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 18, 2024.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its not asinine. If he mostly sits the bench his rookie year that's as close to a "redshirt" as it gets in the NFL. And right in line with several Joe Douglas draft picks over the years

IDFjet likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Was Hackett the OC at WKU?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Deebo Samuel isn't a great route runner and he plays. The Jets can scheme plays for Corley. Gipson isn't going to get cut. Malik Taylor may not, either, but if so, I bet he goes to the PS. GW, M. Williams, Lazard, Corley, and Gipson are locks. Probably also Irvin Charles, although I doubt that he sees the field on offense. If they only keep 6 WRs, then Brownlee and Taylor are the odd men out, but I think they are more likely to keep 7, so the 7th and final WR spot will be between Brownlee and Taylor and the loser will probably go to the PS.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--given how everyone hypes their picks at this time, the current absence of hype for Corley makes one take notice--at least you and I have. We may also both have been less than thrilled at the pick at the time given X's maturity and AR at qb.

I don't think its too early to bitch about it just like it wasn't too early to anoint him YAC leader ala Deebo.

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--seeing Corley in the backfield is gonna cause all the Deebo comps to go thru the roof.

7. BrowningNagle

I dont think they will keep 7 WRs with the way they like to hoard and rotate defensive linemen. There's only so many spots.

Charles is a lock for his special teams. If I were Gipson I would rent not buy a house right now, they got Corley trying kick and punt returns cause they want to justify his roster spot somehow. Gipson's probably got a spot but ehhh he should feel uneasy.

Malik Taylor is probably playing for a spot on some other team unless there's an injury. Brownlee is in a similar place

8. BrowningNagle

The Deebo Samuel comps are unfair. I'm a South Carolina alum, I watched that kid every Saturday. He was a beast. Samuel would own the middle of the field and was very good at contested catches and working through press coverage. Were talking SEC here, not whatever league Western Kentucky is in

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

C'mon--you know the Jets FO is always smarter than everyone else finding those diamonds outside the Power 5 conferences

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents. There are way too many unknows right now to start getting too worried about his contributions and role on day one. We dont know if Williams will be ready opening day. We don't know if Lazard resurgence with AR is for real. We don't know for sure the health of the WR corps on cut day. We dont even know Corley's role on the offense will be during his development phase. Let us not forget that besides receivers we have weapons that can catch the rock in our TEs and RBs. This team will push the envelope on running and run blocking personnel.
    What I think we do know is this. He was drafted for the future based on potential and physicality. He sure as hell won't get cut, and just as sure they will craft a limited role for him to contribute for this coming year. There will be a couple of WRs going into the practice squad for sure, and he won't be one of them. If he is as shifty and good a blocker as they say, he will have a subset of plays to help. Time will tell. It's a long season.

NCJetsfan, AtlantaJet and Acad23 like this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah…hard to see a third round pick getting cut (and I say that knowing we did cut that J. Polite guy a few years ago and I think he was a third round pick)

But to me, it feels like with this kind of player, it should be easy enough to craft plays that will get him the ball in space, especially when AR is the QB. He can line up in the slot or the backfield and just squirm out to the flat or run a crosser at 5 yards and be the outlet option

I’m guessing AR will find him

Can worry about learning the route tree on the fly as the season goes on, but not having a great feel for running the right routes and hot routes and such would hurt a more standard WR type guy, but this is what this kid does…get a short dump off and go create something.

To me, the only real question is if his college success at a lower division will translate well to the NFL, where LBs and DBs are way bigger and faster and stronger. If it carries over, he’ll be fine and can learn to run proper routes as he develops while still contributing on what he already knows how to do

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Got it - Hackett will coach him up!

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hackett could have been the QB at WKU. That dude sucked.

14. BrowningNagle

I didn't think Corley would be cut. I think there is zero chance of that happening actually. I agree with you that he was drafted for the future

LAJet likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

ESPN describes Rodgers as "livid" today with the practice performance.

16. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

If any taking head watched that Rodgers/Wilson talk and is pretending it’s “concerning” please let me know who so I can never listen to that phony click-bait artist again. Good grief

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Heads will roll if the Jets do not make the playoffs. I doubt anybody was drafted for the future. There is no future for Douglas and Saleh if there is more failure.

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Huh? He was drafted to play slot from day 1 holmes--when did you conclude he was drafted to sit behind X?

And he never was ever thought of as an outside WR who may start at the 5th or 6th depth and work up over the years.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I attended camp today. The offense looked horrible.

Clearly the offense was completely out of sync. Broken routes, wrong routes, passes thrown behind, etc etc.

Brook! likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

KRL Camp Notes from Jets Nation
    7/29

General Notes

- First day of players in full pads

- Practice ran 2:10

- With physicality increasing the defense was dominant and won the day in all phases

Special Teams Notes

- Greg Zuerlein practiced running on the field with no timeouts and was 4/5 on FGs.
    Hitting from 30, 33, 35 and 40 yards while hitting the upright on a 55 yarder

Defense Notes

- The interior DLinemen (Quinnen Williams, Javon Kinlaw, Solomon Thomas and Leki Fotu)
    shutdown the running game while collapsing the pocket when the offense wanted to pass.
    Repeatedly flushing the QBs out of the pocket and into incompletions or "sacks"

- The young LBs (Jamien Sherwood, Zaire Barnes and Chaz Surratt) were flying around
    from sideline to sideline. All three shut down the outside running game while Sherwood
    and Barnes showed nice coverage skills causing PBUs or allowing very minimal gains on
    completions

- Takk McKinley flashed again today showing good awareness and staying home to cause
    an incompletion by Tyrod Taylor on a screen pass. And later on coming off the edge
    and recording another "sack" on Taylor

- The secondary recorded two INTs, one by Chuck Clark on an Aaron Rodgers pass when
    Allen Lazard popped a ball into the air in the middle of the field. The other was by
    Al Blades (CB) picking off Andrew Peasley

- Jarrick Bernard-Converse transitioning to CB, had a nice PBU on a Taylor pass to Jason
    Brownlee

Offense Notes

- A couple of things need to be cleaned up operationally, Joe Tippmann's snaps out of
    the shotgun are consistently high. Also, Rodgers was stepped on pulling away from center
    on a handoff causing him to go to the ground

- Braelon Allen probably had the two "sexiest" plays of the day. Gaining 25+ yards on a left
    outside handoff behind Olu Fashanu. And finally "trucking" Tony Adams on a 20+ yard run up
    the middle

Standouts

- Interior DLine
    - Young LB's
    - Takk McKinley

@KRL, have you seen any work on the new kick off return rules? I’m really curious about what that’s gonna look like this year, and how the Jets are practicing coverage and returns.

They did full 11 on 11 reps today on the new KO rules. From my initial impressions the returner
    is going to be an important player again after all the years of touchbacks. Based on what I
    saw only after the returner fields the ball do the blockers/tacklers start to engage. So the
    returner will have 1 or 2 seconds to build up speed and hit a hole before he comes into contact
    with a defender. So the returner needs to be fast and decisive on the hole he hits

Brook!, KY Jets Fan and IDFjet like this.