Can they stay healthy this season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Jul 15, 2024.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Put aside Zach Wilson. Put aside the Joe Douglas debate. Put aside Robert Saleh. Put aside the schedule or anything.

The fact is, first and foremost, what has killed this team is their inability to stay healthy. It's been like watching a slaughter every year. It's almost comedic how bad the war of attrition has been to the Jets over the last about 5 years. 2019 - 2021 didn't matter so much because the Jets overall team was hot garbage. They had almost no talent. But 2022 and 2023 however, has truly been heartbreaking. If you're a Jets fan that's knowledgeable about your team you know the Jets could have made the playoffs if not for all the injuries to the OL specifically.

So I ask the question... Can they stay healthy? Because if they can this team could easily go deep in the playoffs. I would say just based on odds the Jets are due to remain relatively healthy this season. What do you think?

Jojo likes this.
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I have to say no until they prove otherwise. It's been year after year of this team being injury prone, so until they show us something they haven't shown us before, I have to believe they'll revert to form as always.

Hopefully they do stay healthy, but that's not their MO.

Jojo and mezzavo like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

To me, this entire year is about proving all the talk wasn't just a huge pile of bullshit designed to sell PSL's. "Show Me" is the most important thing in '25. Not was Rodgers says, or Saleh, or the Media in general.

KY Jets Fan and Jojo like this.
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Every team suffers injuries, but we just have to hope they don't end the season like last year with Rodgers. If Rodgers misses time this year, then Tyrod Taylor is a decent backup. We didn't have one last year.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  5. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

That is the $64,000 question for the Jets, and for all teams.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

That's all it ever is with this franchise.

This is not a franchise that is serious about winning.

7. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Every team gets dealt injuries lets just hope ours are not as serious as they have been to key players

8. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

The NFL players unions lobbied and received approval of reducing the pre season conditioning and training.

Now they have less training and conditioning and so the players stamina and ability to recover from injury is limited.

Bottoms line is they are not ready when full contact play begins.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Robot players wouldn't get injured.

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Well, helloooo there!

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Herman Edwards got destroyed for running 'Club Med'. If your livelihood depends on being in shape, run around the block, it's not a long leap in logic. Did we really need Sal Alosi?

Just work out, chill, and don't eat 50 slabs of crumb cake off the assembly line. I honestly don't understand what's so hard about this.

Visibly pregnant Muhammad WIlkherson kept blaming the Jets that he didn't get the right work out guidance after his injury. Nothing to with doughnuts, buddy.

I hate the Jets.

12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Agreed!

I've not decided who gets hit with injuries harder; the Jets or the Chargers. It would seem that both those teams seem to lead the league in injuries, especially recently. There are a couple others.

While I"m on the topic and musing...

For those that played football 20 or 30 years ago, you remember what training camp was like. Didn't matter if you played high school ball, college or were fortunate enough to play semi-pro or in one of the pro leagues training camp was brutal!! 2 a days, conditioning until yacked all over the field...oh, the good ole' days! <---KIDDING!!! lol

Actually, probably the biggest thing that has suffered since camp cream puff hit the NFL is tackling. Today, these guys get a head of steam, load up, deliver a blow and HOPE the ball carrier goes down. Every once in a while you'll see a really nice tackle but that's the exception not the norm. As a former defensive player and aficionado, I really only want to throw my water at the screen when I see an assload of blown tackles. Sauce Garder may be a hell of a cover corner but that kid needs to learn how to tackle. He probably hasn't had an honest to goodness tackling session since Pop Warner. A ton of this big injuries wouldn't happen if the players were performing REAL tackles and not the big highlight hits. It hurts the ball carrier AND themselves. I'm not saying they need to go back to 2 hours of "Vince Lombardi's" or Burpee's or "ladders" but they damn straight need to start having REAL tackling training! You know, if they were tackling in camp and practice they "might" night want to be loading up for the massive hit on game day as much. I don't know what the answer is but, damn straight, it's not an 18 game season either.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Don't feel great about it. Maybe we get a surprise out of someone, but I'd be very surprised if Rodgers, Tyron Smith and Mike Williams all stayed healthy for 17-20 games.

Fingers are crossed though

mezzavo likes this.
  14. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

The injuries are not just bad luck, the team needs to change the surface of the playing field. Until then I would expect an above average amount of injuries every season.

mezzavo likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The team changed the playing surface a year ago. Maybe the players need to change their shoes.

16. mezzavo

They NEED to put grass in! Not faux grass...

17. Ralebird

Explain the "NEED". Then explain the HOW.

If you have science to back up either, I'd be more than happy to consider it. Until then, throwing stuff against the wall to see if any sticks solves nothing.

mezzavo likes this.
  18. mezzavo

I don't need to. There are thousands of sources that say grass is better than turf, so... As far as the "how," where there's a will there's a way. Just saying...

19. Ralebird

There are thousands of opinions about which is better - you have not even specified better for what? Performance? Safety? Durability? There needs to be a substantiated reason before a "will" is developed to make change. One would think that with the billions of dollars of revenue at all levels of football that someone would actually try to provide some scientific method based evidence of superiority of one surface over so many others. Of course a playing surface is only as good as properly matched footwear allows it to be which then turns to the decision of the players wearing a shoe that gives them utmost performance but may very well contribute to a higher level of injury.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10...=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub 0pubmed