POLL: This is the year Jets will win AFC East. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 30, 2024.

?

Jets will win AFC East

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. I can't decide because I am a pussy.

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What reputation?

IDFjet likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No, and I actually feel pretty ok about the roster provided they stay healthy.

They were a playoff team last season with an experienced middle of the pack QB, and that’s probably what they’ll have this season.

3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I guess I'm a pussy.

I'm not indecisive, I just can't decide.

jetophile likes this.
  4. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

It is just insanity to predict that the Jets win anything until they prove otherwise.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The one that will keep him employed in the NFL in at least some capacity.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Like Hamlet.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

His coffee fetish and stock in Chock Full O' Nuts? o_O

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

ill go on record to say lb. per lb. we are the best team in the division personnel wise hands down, except in the most important position of all. HC and OC. If we had a top HC we would absolutely crush the competition. But as it stands right now, we will be outcoached at every critical juncture. RS either gets religion or just let AR manage the offensive play calling.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am taking receipts. Will go after those doubters once we win the division.

Okay, just kidding but still. I have faith. :)

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

At this stage of his career Rodgers is not better than Allen. His last year in GB showed some decline. At 40 going on 41 coming off a serious injury will be a tough thing to come back from. His best days are behind him. If he can stay healthy (BIG IF) then he can probably give the Jets "good" QB play at best. I don't think he is an elite level QB anymore.

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Fuck it, I'm done whining. This is the team that's been assembled so time to pony up, I guess. ARod is the key. If that guy can stay upright for at least 80% of the games then they should get to the playoffs. Then anything can happen. I say yes...for now.:rolleyes:o_O

barfolomew and westiedog1 like this.
  12. Ralebird

JUCO scout?

barfolomew likes this.
  13. Ralebird

That was the other guy.

barfolomew likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Director of JUCO Scouting

barfolomew likes this.
  15. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I think you’re drinking your own kool-aid here. The jets definitely have the best defense in the division, but the offense leaves a lot to be desired. Guys like Mike Williams, Tyron smith, AVT, Arod, Moses, etc have been rarely healthy the last few years and even if none of them miss a game, we don’t know how effective they’ll be. The dolphins and bills offenses are ahead of the jets until proven otherwise.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The only thing different about the Jets Kool-Aid and the Bills Kool-Aid is that Buffalo's is Kooler. The thread is about predictions. The Bills offense has just as much to prove as the Jets offense after losing one of the top receivers of the past decade in Diggs. The health question applies to all teams, not just the Jets. Given the past performances of the list you mentioned, it's not a stretch to assume that if they are healthy they will perform close to what they did previously. Past performance is all we have to predict the future, so based on that, the future looks pretty good for Jets at this point.

#36 westiedog1, Jul 6, 2024 at 12:26 PM
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2024 at 12:46 PM
    LAJet and Brook! like this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

If healthy we should compete for the division…but for us that’s a big IF. We have serious concerns at critical positions. Our QB is old and coming off injury. Our LT hasn’t played a full season in almost 10 years. Our RT is coming off surgery. Our #2 receiver is coming off of an ACL repair.

So sure, if healthy, this offense should be very good. That’s of course true for every team though. If Allen gets hurt, Buffalo is in trouble. If Hill or Waddle get hurt, Miami is a bit more manageable. So while injuries will derail any team, I think our key players are at higher injury risk than Buffalo or Miami are.

So I’m hopeful but after 11 years of no playoffs…this team has to prove it before anyone will believe it.

Go out and win games

NY Jets68, abyzmul and westiedog1 like this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's fair, can't disagree with that. However, at this point in time which is what is being asked, I like our chances of competing for and winning the division. I think AR at his best is a skilled enough QB to withstand a key injury on offense, unless of course the injury is to him.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The health question does not apply to all teams equally. Let’s stop pretending every team has a 40 year qb who hasn’t played well in 3-4 years coming off a major Achilles injury. Let’s stop pretending every team has the oldest tackle duo in the league, one of whom hasn’t completed a full season since the Obama administration (and that’s not a joke). Mike Williams gets hurt any time he’s breathed on. AVT has a season ending injury every year. The list goes on and on. Not every team is dealing with that, certainly.

The other part is that injuries don’t just heal and then get wiped clean and you start fresh from zero. They stack up in a way that affects player performance. Most times, players who suffer major injuries never reach the same peak again, they suffer a measured loss, and the more in a row they have, the greater the toll. They all add up. I can’t pretend (and no one can) to guess whether these players will stay healthy and even if they do, how their performance will be over the course of a 17 game season.

Im not saying these players are bad, they could certainly end up all performing great, the point is no one knows and the original post I quoted said that not only do the jets have the best roster in the division, but that “it’s not even close.” That is a wild stretch, is all I’m saying. It could certainly prove true this year, that’s why it’s fun to watch the games, but you can’t make that claim at this moment in time imo.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You have a good point in saying that with the older Jets veterans that none of us knows how good they will be or if they will stay healthy.

Allen is the best QB in our division, there's no doubt about that, and Buffalo has the best TE corps in our division. Shakir, Samuel, and Valdez-Scantling aren't going to scare anyone at WR. Claypool can produce if his head is on straight. James Cook is a good RB, but after him there's Ty Johnson, Ray Davis and Frank Gore, Jr. Sedric Van Pran-Grainger is an excellent addition to your OL, and Dion Dawkins is good, but who else do you have?

Tua continues to amaze me. He's accurate but has a rag arm. I don't understand how he continues to get away with that. He's also one concussion away from retirement and with Miami's IOL, he may not make it out of the first game. They have the best 1-2 WRs in the division in Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, but Beckham and Berrios aren't going to scare anyone. I like their additions of Malik Washington and Tajh Washington in the draft. Their RBs aren't going to scare anyone, but Jaylen Wright could make them a lot better. Outside of Jonnu Smith, I'm not sure about their TEs, but don't think they will scare anyone. IMO they have the best HC in our division.

Even with the questionable health of Smith, Moses and AVT, I think the Jets still probably have the best OL in the division, Rodgers is the 2nd best QB, the Jets have the best RB corps in the division and the 2nd best WR in Wilson, and probably nose Buffalo out for the 2nd best WR corps if they get anything at all out of Williams and Corley.

The Jets need to add another quality veteran IOL, but if healthy, their OL should dominate, and Fashanu will do well filling in for Smith. My questions on the OL are if Simpson can play as well as he did last season in Baltimore and if Moses can't stay healthy, who will play RT? Conklin is a solid and pretty dependable TE. Ruckert just needs more opportunities. Gipson has talent and speed, and looks to have taken a big step forward in OTAs and mini-camp, but we'll see in TC if he continues to look good and if Brownlee or someone else can step up, and how much Corley can contribute as a rookie.

#40 NCJetsfan, Jul 6, 2024 at 3:25 PM
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2024 at 11:09 PM
    westiedog1 and Brook! like this.