2024 NFL Draft - Day 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Apr 26, 2024.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Good luck with that

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've seen some comments that show that there is some confusion or misunderstanding of the picks the Jets have left. The Jets have #72, #111, #129, #134, #157, #185, and #257 left in the draft. That's a 3rd, 3-4th round picks, a 5th, a 6h, and a 7th. There aren't enough roster spots for that many rookies, and in an "all in" year, imo the wisest use of some of those picks would be to package them and move up into the 2nd round to take a WR who will have a higher ceiling and a greater chance of contributing this season on a high level. There are several outstanding WR prospects left.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Going into the draft, I wanted either a WR or OT in the first. The Jets two biggest positions of need, both in need of some serious injury insurance. I am very happy with how that turned out. Odunze would have been awesome, but having a franchise LT for next season is super valuable.

WR needs to be addressed now. I'd love for Williams to stay healthy all season, but I don't feel great about it. Take a couple of the fourth rounders and move up if need be. Get the receiver, and then the rest of the draft will basically be depth.

James Hasty and Jets79 like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They’re obviously going to trade up like they’ve done almost every year.

Seems to be working out well for them, Bob. Can’t sign those fourth rounder that could be OG and ILB starters a year from now anyways!

abyzmul likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The 4th round is the new 7th round!

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I am so not on board with this description of him as a “developmental pick”…to me, a “developmental” pick is a guy who isn’t ready to play … someone who needs a year or two of seasoning so more like Warren or Mitchell were for us…mid round picks you try and develop.

Fashanu has always been a first round projection…not a mid round guy with potential. Not saying he doesn’t have stuff to work on, but painting him as a “developmental pick” makes it sound like he should have been a 3rd or 4th rounder. Which is not the case. It’s a lazy narrative to use in criticizing the pick and JD. After the season ended, he was actually being rated as like the 2nd best tackle after Alt, and Latham was looked at as more of a mid round in the various mocks and stuff I read…Latham climbed the boards later…and I’m always wary of guys like that. Not saying that Olu can’t bust, but to make it out like he’s some mid round developmental type is not accurate.

Now, I get the argument of going WR instead of OT…I don’t agree with it but I get the argument. But at 10, the top 3 WR’s were gone, I don’t think we can afford to trade up, so the decision was take the 3rd OT or take Bowers. To me, the fact that we got the 3rd OT plus turning a 6th round pick into a 4th and a 5th is great.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

100%

Not sure why our history is what it is, but man we’ve blown A LOT of 2nd rounders on receivers that never panned out. Also, none of those guys went on to success on other teams…they were just not good NFL receivers. Funny how some teams have a knack for some positions…the Steelers always seem to find very good receivers in the mid rounds…but for some reason, any receiver we draft in round 2 turns out to suck.

That being said, I am also in favor of packaging some picks to move up to target a WR if we have to…I think we have one third rounder and 3 fourth rounders now…seems like we should be able to move around if it’s warranted.

I do think we need to come out of this draft with a good WR or even 2, and then we could also use another OL, a S, and a DT.

I’m not high on drafting a 4th round QB to develop…firstly because we suck at that and have never developed a QB, secondly because most 4th round QBs turn out to be Bryce Petty or James Morgan instead of Dak Prescott and we just don’t have picks to waste. I’d rather use that 4th rounder on a S or DT before I’d use it on a QB who will most likely suck.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

4 draft picks?

I thought we gave a 2nd that could have been a 1st based on playing time, which did not happen.

Did we give up 3 other picks I don’t know about?

9. boozer32

It's still dumpster diving. The Jets rarely get lucky

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. boozer32

Wesley Walker was a 2nd round pick and legally blind in one eye. The dude was super fast.

NCJetsfan, sozopol and James Hasty like this.
  11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Originally I felt that we should package those 4ths and jump up. As I sit back (I wanted Rome Odunze ) and look at the board. I wouldn't trade up unless some amazing WR started to fall.
    What's everyone's thoughts on FSU wideout Johnny Wilson? At 6' 6" and 235lbs the kid is massive

boozer32 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I just don’t see how he runs any routes in the NFL beyond fly routes and jump balls. Kelvin Benjamin had similar size and struggles beyond that route treee and dropped a ton of balls.

He’d be a good WR4 to be put on the field for things like that though I don’t think he’s reliable other than that.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes apparently so. Our first, second, and 6th went their way last year and our second this year, today

4 picks

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Someone’s getting a monster in Johnny Newton. He reminds me a bit of Christian Wilkins.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s a mischaracterization to say it like that though. They got a 1st and 5th in return with Rodgers.

And Allan Lazard and Hackett as free agents. :cool:

boozer32 likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Oh man, I had forgotten we gave up our second last year…I remember the pick swap on our first, so can’t really say we gave up 4 picks really…we gave up two seconds and then moved back or up on two other picks.

Thanks!

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Adonal Mitchell would be nice if we move near the top of round two.

Big and fast.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Isn’t he slow as shit?

edit: welp… mistook him for Johnny Wilson and Wilkins for Christian Watson.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with your entire post, but I especially agree with the parts I bolded. Except I don't think there's really a mystery why the Jets can't seem to draft any good WRs (or really much offensive talent at all) outside of the 1st round: they just haven't put the resources and effort into it the same way they have with defensive players. It's a systemic failure that's decades long. They seem to believe that if they can just build an "impregnable" defense, they won't have to worry about the offense, despite never having been able to do this.

The corollary to Parcell's Law: "You are what your record says you are", might be: "You are what you do". If all you ever do is focus on defense and not on offense you've never going to have a good offense.

And I 110% agree with not drafting any young QB until they get people on board who know how to develop one, including hiring the right CS and obtaining the right supporting cast of players. QBs - even great ones - don't just develop themselves, but it seems that's what the Jets think. Don't waste the picks on someone you'll just ruin anyway, use them for someone who might actually help the team.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is getting painful

Pepsiguy5 and Savatage like this.