With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Soon to be proven as fact.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I'm sure the Jets are going to use #10 overall on a TE to use him as a blocker. The Jets are dumb but they aren't that dumb.

boozer32 and Brook! like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not anti Brock. Like I said, I rate him high, solid mid teens pick. But it seems like anything other than he is perfect is not accepted. Are you sure catching so much behind LOS will translate to NFL? So far for the most part it didn't: https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/04/05/ny-jets-brock-bowers-red-flag/ Not saying that it won't, but I just don't know if it's great that most of his catches were easy, where he didn't have to get open and instead used YAC ability from the perspective of translating his game to NFL level, where YAC will be much harder to get.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Do you actually think this or are you just saying because the Jets are historically dumb they will do a historically dumb thing?

5. REVISion

Nothing in that article indicates it won't translate to the NFL, unless you think short passes designed to maximize YAC are ineffective in the NFL.

You're interpreting his high % of behind LoS catches as meaning he can't separate. I'm interpreting it as he's uniquely good after the catch.

Do you have any evidence he actually can't separate or is that just your takeaway from this LoS stat?

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, based on film he is not a great separator. Also, take a look at this, pretty good review with multiple all 22 clips. This guy is legit, co-founder of JetXFactor and generally is right a lot more than not. Plus actual film is there too. Pretty long, but good info. Also, contested catch ability needs to be taken in context, because I learned he had injury and before that he was solid in that area, but overall a lot of good points. I do agree he is good in YAC, there is no argument there.

7. REVISion

Is this the guy who said Bowers is limited vertically right before he hit a 40 inch vertical at his pro day?

JetsNation06 likes this.
  8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Since you clearly follow this guy on X, you also know that he took a lot of heat for this terrible assessment. He based his review on 2023 when Bowers played hurt and for the most part neglected the '21 and '22 seasons. Even his partner Nania backtracked on the assessment after promoting it.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but you can discredit anyone like that. Find out one thing that a person said that was wrong. Then even when he does good analysis, you bring up that one thing, and say, "is this the guy who said that, hence anything else he ever says is BS"? Besides Brock was in fact limited vertically after the injury, that much is true. It's not a crazy thing to watch his games and comment on that. He did in fact stink last year in contested catches, that much is true. There is a possible explanation for that, the injury one. The film review is still good. Unless of course you want to dismiss anything that does not fit Brock is perfect narrative.

Even Nania's article, he did bring up some valid concerns. Vas majority of successful TEs were able to catch much larger % passes up the field. Few examples where people were LOS beasts didn't work out. "Bowers proved himself to be an elite play finisher at Georgia, but he has not proven he will be an elite play maker in the NFL. We simply didn’t see enough of it to be certain he can generate receptions at a high volume in the NFL, and if you’re drafting a tight end in the top 10, you need to be certain he is capable of being a reliable high-volume producer in your offense.

It’s not promising that the best highly drafted tight ends in recent history were significantly less reliant on schemed receptions than Bowers. It’s even more concerning that the only players who were used similarly are Howard and Njoku, who went to perform nowhere close to the level that New York would want from Bowers after selecting him 10th overall."

Again, I am not even saying that means he is a bust or even end of 1st round pick, but you simply dismiss anything that's not perfect about Bowers, including very valid points, where people think he may be be a 15 and not a 10.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If a TE got great separation he would be a WR.

Bowers is a TE he works in traffic

Also the fact that he’s awesome at or behind the line of scrimmage is not a negative. Those are the easiest throws a QB will make. Bowers will nickel and dime people to death

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, he did last year's review, which is why I am higher on him than his 2023 film, but he did play in 2023 with a large sample size, and I cannot just throw the entire year out of the window. That's what we did with Zach's second year, when he was injured, when in fact that year was more indicative of his future in NFL than the final year. Again, you think he is perfect, I don't. Also, where do you see backtracking?

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you for admitting he is not a WR :). That's why they make double of TEs and positional value is way higher.

Behind LOS are also easiest to catch schemed plays designed for you. Being awesome behind line of scrimmage is one thing and it is a positive. Having half of your production there on schemed plays and smaller sample size beyond LOS is something to at least look at, considering every successful TE in NFL had a much larger % of non schemed plays, while LOS TEs didn't do great. Particularly when the guy who schemes plays for us is Hack.

13. BrowningNagle

no shit he’s not a WR. duh dude

WTF is “schemed plays” literally makes no sense. Every fuckin pass catching route is a part of a scheme.

nobody does more to design open routes for their TE than Andy Reid and the Chiefs. It’s working out pretty well, 2 SB rings and a bony little pop star to bone

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Those “schemed plays” sure work out well for Deebo, Kittle and the 49ers. Puka, Cooper Kupp & the Rams too.

15. BrowningNagle

Would like to see a little more schemed plays outta everyone on that offense this fall

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Reid and what's his name, ah, Mahomes had something to with the SBs too, no? Give me these two guys, and then let's draft Brock!

Just toss the screen pass to Brock, and we are good.

17. BrowningNagle

right okay, let’s just be silly

anyway, is it Fugazi, Fuaga, whatever his name is that you want? All you do is talk down Bowers, that’s fine, but I never see who you/Nania wants to draft instead

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's got to be somebody with really long arms.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Is saying the guy is mid teens (Maybe #15) instead of #10 really putting him down? Also, just because I referenced Nania's article, which made some sense, doesn't mean you need to be putting me and him as one. I actually did say whom I want just yesterday, but perhaps you were too preoccupied with Bowers to notice: https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/with-the-10th-pick.99846/page-70#post-4396644

"Bowers, even though a luxury pick, is a damn good player who can help this season, but for me Latham, Odunze, Olu come before him, then Bowers, then Fuaga, Fautanu." I actually have Brock above "Fugazi". Nabers/Harrison/Alt are probably gone earlier, but I would like them a lot. How about you, besides being Bower Boy, what does the board look like?

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That kind of worries me…it’s good that he’s been playing in the SEC, but catching the ball behind the LOS and making yards on your own in the NFL is WAY different than in college. The level of competition, the speed and strength of the DE’s, LBs, and such are much better in the NFL. Production won’t be the same. Of course that’s true for ALL college prospects.

I don’t know, I get Bowers is a nice weapon, I think he’ll be good in the NFL, I just would much prefer the OT at 10.

It will be interesting to see how this draft falls…if both Fashanu and Alt are gone by 10, which they probably will be, then with WR, likely Nabors and Harrison are gone…this decision may come down to one of the other OTs vs. Bowers vs. Odunze.

That’s probably the likely status when pick 10 comes up just from seeing the general mocks out there…

Interesting for sure