With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Trade back and take JC Latham. Come on. That’s easy.

tomdeb, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Odunze, equally as easy. Pick 10 is pretty sweet.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

True. Odunze I like alot.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like your version better than the TE at t 19 that has been floating around

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I like it! If we can get Latham AND some more assets, that's a slam dunk of a draft. With Olu and Alt gone though, I probably would just grab Latham at 10. Aside from him, only Mims and Guyton are left at OT, and that is probably a level below aforementioned 3 guys. Fuaga and Fautanu are also good options, but I don't like their size for a full time starting OT, and I want to come out with a long term LT starter out of this draft.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From the latest rumblings, Latham may not even make it to #10, so trading back and hoping he's there even a few picks later might blow up in JD's face like last year's pick swap did.

I'm not opposed to this idea though. I'd do it, especially since if Latham was taken before their first pick, it might mean that one of the other top tackles is still there for them.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m with you…I get the concept of “value”, but I think it’s more applicable in larger swings (i.e. don’t take a second round prospect in the first round kind of thing)…but trying to get too cute by saying, “well, I like that guy at 14 but not at 10” can backfire very easily as that value is so subjective and you never know what other teams really think of a guy.

Shit, last year we only dropped down 2 picks and lost out on the last of the top OT prospects. I hope JD learned that lesson well.

If both of those top two guys are gone and you like the Latham kid, then just take him at 10 and walk away with the OT instead of trying to trade back 5 spots for better “value” and losing out on the guy.

I just keep saying don’t overthink this. Don’t get slobbery over a shiny new toy. Take the best OT and let’s go!

SOJAZ, NY Jets68, NYJetsO12 and 3 others like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Last year is a different story. Broderick would have been a steal at 13 for us and a really good pick at 10 too. This year I think there are 3 guys like that: Alt, Fashanu, and Latham. One of them has to be there at 10, but if not, I would not take Mims or Guyton at 10. Then trade down is a good option to me. I am in a camp where I don't want to overdraft. There are several second tier tackles available and I would end up with a tackle in this draft. But I am not spending a 10th pick on Guyton.

9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Fair enough…I don’t know enough about the prospects to say one way or another outside of the general stuff I read

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So no Becton was not the “last”..you can cherry pick me on that lol

My point is JD blew that pick but got luckier with AVT

His draft record is meh overall imo

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

100%

Go trade back and gamble he’s still around? Thats a way dumb idea risking quality for quantity imo

Imagine if Mahomes (the unknown QB) was right there at 10? Trade back? lol

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on. Agreed.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah it's very sensible when someone compares a 2b tackle to one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time... simply because you agree with them.

REVISion and The Waterboy like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m not advocating trading down if Latham or Fashanu or some stud WR is there at ten but please. How many times are we going to use Mahomes as some absolute example of why trading down is a mistake. That is insane. For the rare Pat Mahomes example there are literally hundred of cases of trade downs that have worked to perfection. In fact there are far more famous trade ups that have been a complete bust than trade downs. God knows we have been part of a few of those. It is a crap shoot and absolutely depends on how high you value the available pick, and if your assessment is on target and the value is not there then trade down is a good option. If it’s your guy with no major risks then you just run to the podium and be done.
    Having said that, I fully believe Latham/Fashanu and a couple of WR are on JD radar for the tenth pick so unless they are all gone he will not trade down. Hope he doesn’t prove me wrong.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good points. The funny thing with using the 2017 draft (the year Mahomes was taken) is that the Jets didn't miss Mahomes because they traded down. They missed him or Watson because they had drafted Hackenberg the year before and so they took Jamal Adams instead of Mahomes.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I recall Mac also didn't value Mahomes and Watson and thought next year would be the better class with Sam. Can't believe the guy was actually a scout.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Mahomes went 10. Just saying you can get a great QB there if you know what you are looking for

ANd the Bills traded the slot even though they too needed a QB

Lastly i think JD has done exceptionally well when trading up and poorly when trading back

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to think about that one.., good topic--its complicated by the opportunities passed up--for instance AVT is of course a stud and looks to be a great trade but who would have been the 2 #3 picks etc.

Gotta look at the history more closely--do you happen to have all the trade-up events that JD has performed handy?

19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

not all but JJ was one (all pro). Breece was another (should be)

trade backs -- Mims

tomdeb likes this.
  20. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

for me it should be: 1) romeo/nabbers; 2) tackle; 3) bowers