Woody Johnson says Zach won't be released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Mar 25, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think its a good idea to put it out there that if you want him you gotta trade.

The dumb thing is lets say Woody really means it--so ZW takes up a roster spot and arguably, according to Woody, learns to get better by sitting behind AR etc for a year, then he leaves as a FA.

Why should he get better while sitting on our dime just to let him walk? By cutting him you're gaining another roster spot and possible development of a guy who may have a future. From a cash perspective theres no advantage to keeping ZW and not playing him.

The one possible benefit I can see is that if we keep him on the bench and let him leave in FA, if anyone signs him, he will count towards a comp pick in the formula.

Cman68 and SOJAZ like this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Initially, I wanted Zach released/traded come hell or high water. Reasons being he sucked for for 3 years, would not take responsibility for offense failures (yes, I know he later apologized), and there was a story he did not want to go back and start (whether true or not). We've now seen his trade value to be squat. So, to me Zach staying is kind of who cares?. We have to pay him anyway. Let him run the scout team all year, and stay inactive on game day. We can wait until 2025 to draft a developmental QB. As long as there is an unspoken understanding that Zach doesn't PLAY another (regular season) down for the jets, I an okay w that. Let him play in preseason to keep Rodgers and Taylor healthy--they've been around long enough I doubt they need the reps. Maybe, just maybe, another team will have a Rodgers type injury early in the season, and might pony up a late pick for Zach.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You can never have too much Tebow.

stinkyB, Cman68 and abyzmul like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Aren't they ALL "Zach threads"? lol.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Woody Johnson, oh, God, I'm so tired. Coming from an atheist, that means I'm pretty fcking tired.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

For an owner that a number of fans on here have argued is a hands off owner, he sure has a lot to say lately about what will happen with the team.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The owner should have no comment and no real understanding on the status of personnel matters like this

does the Steelers owner comment publicly on the plans for their 3rd string QB? Doubt it

mezzavo, papapump, IDFjet and 2 others like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Talk is cheap.

Woody Johnson is cheap.

9. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

With all the dead money in his contract, there is no reason to release him if a trade partner can't be found. I understand the reasoning, I'd just rather he had a fresh start for his sake and the team's.

JetFanInNE and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

and yet, Steelers ownership actually knows SOMETHING about football...

11. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Chiefs signed Carson Wentz. I honestly thought that would be Zach landing spot at least to be #2 on an roster.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He’s been bad but I don’t think he deserves the wood-chipper. Just release the guy or shoot for a late round draft pick.

Unless of course we’re hiring an offensive coordinator and a QB coach. Then sure, hold on to him.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Perhaps more stupid than cheap..

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Cman68

That quote will live forever in Jet lore..

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If we release him it’s 11.4m in dead money against our cap (5.5m 2024 salary, plus his prorated signing bonus that’s spread over the life of the contract). His salary is 5.5m. We could relieve ourselves of that with a trade, except no team is willing to trade away picks to take on that salary. What’s most likely is we would have to compensate a team with picks to take him and his salary off our hands, or eat all or most of the salary cost and possibly do a late round pick swap in return. We’re dealing with a Brock Osweiler situation. You may recall they gave CLE a 2nd round pick to take Brock off their hands. Granted Brock’s contract was much longer, hence why it cost a 2nd rounder. If we really need that 5.5m off our books this year then trading him is the only option, in which case we’re going to have to compensate the receiving team to do that. I think we’d have to give a 5th rounder in order to entice a team to eat his salary. What team has a good amount of cap space that could use a draft pick?

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Can Zach play RB or TE?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Rams just lost out on Wentz. Zach's chances for a trade just went from 3% to 5%. The needle is moving, fellas!

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah!

That, and Gase is coaching to where the NFL is going! Though to be fair, that may have been Chris Johnson who said that.

Either way, both imbeciles have proven they know much less about football than the collective wisdom on this board

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

What the Johnsons lack in football acumen, they make up for with money. Being a rich owner doesn't require you to be a football smart owner. We got stuck with the dumb rich guy.

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Didn't we once have a back up who played on ST during KO coverage? Think ZW would have the nuts to do that just to help the team win in whatever way possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.