With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Bowers is a Hard NO at 10. JD should be stripped to his undies and ran off 1 Jets Drive into the Atlantic if he does that.

Look at what Rams found in Nacua.....in the 5TH !!!!

Trade down and pick up your OT and WR with the 2nd round pick. I'm pretty sure JD is thinking this...but if he gets seduced by Bowers hype he's officially DUMB (and I don't believe he is...)

This is an easy trade down pick up the 2nd you lost and then get a top OT plus WR.

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I remember hearing similar statements about Sauce Gardener. "The Jets desperately need edge rushers and they are deep at corner so why draft a corner in the 1st round, yada, yada, yada..."

BTW, I agree they shouldn't pick Bowers at 10 AND I wanted an edge rusher before Sauce. It shows you how much I know. LOL

chandler likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, we did need Edge rusher, and we got him in the first round. But ... do you remember whom we had starting at CB in 2021? We had pathetic scrubs at CB too. This is not even remotely close to Conklin level starter. Also, we have to factor in positional value as well. CB, Edge, OL, WR are premium positions. TE is not.

You would have to get someone like Kittle to justify top 10 investment in a TE in general. And it is a far from guarantee Bowers is it. Besides, just look at the top receiving weapons in NFL: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/receiving . Even Kittle is #24. #1 through #23 are WRs. And Bowers is not even a great blocker. There is a reason why TEs are the least paid position and usually not drafted top of the draft as compared to WR or OL.

4. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Bowers is not a prototypical TE, he is like a large WR that you can line up as a TE to beat LBs with speed, you can line him up in the slot to beat DBs with his power off the line. He can also be a downfield blocker on plays to other receivers. If you are worried about already having two good TEs, think Gronkowski and Hernandez on the same team and how that worked really well for the Pats. I still think trading down and getting a tackle in the first, and a receiver in the second would be the best outcome. But if there are no trade options, I would be thrilled with Bowers at ten.

REVISion likes this.
  5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Easy on Bowers lol lord. Do you have college scouting experience? He's projected to go high for a reason.

And I get what you're saying, take a wr in round 5 and we will be golden. I like that logic.

Sent from my genius mind.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

trade one of the 4ths to the falcons and move up to 8 to take which ever of mhj, nabers, or odunze that falls

if two of them are there when atlanta is on the clock, then sit back and take whichever one the bears dont take

the last time this board had this much of a hard on for a "generational", "cant miss", TE prospect, he turned out to be oj howard

BrooklynJetsFan, ouchy and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets cannot afford to trade up. That would be the worst possible thing that JD could do in the draft other than drafting an Edge or CB or DT at #10. LT has to be the pick.

8. All Gas No Shake

you also claimed that zach wilson had to be the pick so excuse me if im not buying what youre selling

selecting one of those receivers and giving the jets a high powered offense for the first time in my 30+ years of being a fan is no where near the worst possible outcome

AtlantaJet and abyzmul like this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

But we didn't need a top CB supposedly because we were playing zone. I remember half jokingly advocating for Tariq Woolen (having no clue he would turn out to be good).

Also how do you account for Pats Chiefs and 49ers having so much success at TE? I don't think the argument for TE is so easily dismissed, especially if the guy's a potential game changer.

10. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Right? It's great to be choosing among all good options instead of all crappy options! If you are really that upset about whether the Jets trade up or down, or whether they choose a very good tackle, very good WR, or Brock Bowers, it says more about you than it does the Jets decision making. Do you want to sure up the foundation (T) or raise the ceiling (WR or BB)? Seriously, it could wind up that selecting a T produces a narrower range of outcomes from a winning season to winning a playoff game, and instead selecting an offensive weapon has a range of missing the playoffs/losing season to making (and maybe winning?) the Superbowl next year.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

They wouldn't have a high-powered offense once Smith goes down if they don't have a quality backup.

I suppose that you never missed on a player in the draft.

Borat and westiedog1 like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Our TEs combined for 0 TDs last season. 0.

If we're picking purely based on which position will make the largest immediate impact for us, it has to be WR or TE. Draft picks at both positions would likely start right away over Lazard/Conklin. The same cannot be said for OT.

I just can't fathom why we'd draft a "might see playing time" guy over a "will almost certainly see playing time" guy in a win now year. It makes no sense.

mattyd99 and teamgreen like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

How is it that it says more about me than the Jets decision making? Their track record isn't very good. Your comments say more about your flawed reasoning/logic or knowledge of football if you think Carter Warren would be able to play 4-5 games or more at LT and not wreck the offense, if not get Rodgers seriously hurt. No one wants a high flying, high-powered offense more than me, but one has to be sensible. The success of an offense begins and ends with their OL. The Jets don't have a competent backup for Smith, and he can't stay healthy, and they won't have a starting-caliber OT on the roster next offseason if they don't draft an OT in the 1st round this year.

Meanwhile that WR you'd have the Jets trade up for would be the #3 receiving option this season and the #2 next season, and wouldn't be able to do squat if Rodgers goes down with a season-ending injury.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

because with the injury and age questions we have at OT, it’s almost a certainty that we will need someone to step in and play some games at OT, not to mention, settle one of the OT spots for next year, where we have no one currently unless you are counting on Warren or Mitchell.

Also, TE’s drafted high don’t typically live up to the hype. The last guy like that I guess would be Kyle Pitts, and while he’s good, he hasn’t transformed that Falcons offense. Neither Kelce nor Gronk were high draft picks…and if we go back a few year, we drafted a guy in Dustin Keller who also fit this description of a receiving TE that would create all these mismatches. He was good, but again, not game changing.

So if Bowers is better than Keller and better than Pitts, great. He’d have to literally be like a Kelce or a Kittle or a Gronk … and maybe he will be that impactful…but the odds are against it.

I would much prefer OT or WR at 10…and I’m just fine carrying on with Conklin and Ruckert at TE…the marginal improvement of replacing Conklin with Bowers at TE1 I don’t think is as impactful as improving from some combo of “coming off ACL Williams” plus Lazard to a WR at 10.

That all being said, it will absolutely depend on the draft board and how it falls. There is no way Alt is getting past picks 4,5,6 as I think one of the Chargers, Giants, or Titans will take him. We have a better chance of one of Nabers or Odunze being there for us than we do of Alt

Borat likes this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

its not about missing out on a player. its about continuing to unequivocally state what "needs" to be done when youve been proven wrong several times in the past.

if garrett wilson goes down, theres not a quality backup at wide receiver, either. id argue that the depth at tackle on the jets is better than the depth at receiver.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We can go from 10 to 8 for just a 4th? But we want a 2nd to go from 10 to 13?

bigbucks24 likes this.
  17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Here's the problem I see with Bowers......and it has nothing to do with the player. As I stated in a different thread. There simply are those teams out there that know how to use a TE. Atlanta, Kansas City... The NY Football Jets are NOT one of those teams. The Jets have never really properly used a TE...ever. Maybe it's the same DNA that has them unable to groom a QB. Either way, Bowers at 10 would be a waste because this team, historically, won't do him justice. He'd be out of the league by the end of his rookie contract.

There is going to be a run on QB's...you watch...which means I STILL say O-Line here with whomever is left. Considering we may see 4 or 5 QB's go in the top 10, there should be one of the top o-line guys to grab.

18. All Gas No Shake

Who is we?

Last year the eagles traded up from 10 to 9 for a 4th rounder.

19. NCJetsfan

I disagree. How is the #3 WR going to have the largest immediate impact over the backup LT who winds up starting 4-5 games or more? How is the TE going to have a greater impact in this offense that doesn't feature the TE, and we have a QB in Rodgers who doesn't like to throw over the middle?

20. NCJetsfan

I couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not. We're all fans and we're all probably wrong as much or more than we are right. So don't be coming at me in a condescending fashion like you've never been wrong. I guess you don't realize that Mike Williams is on the roster, and that the Jets can draft a WR in the 3rd or 2nd round if they trade down, or of the high bust rate of 1st round WRs.

It's my mistake for taking you off of ignore. I'm trying to be more civil but I guess that you like some others, don't care for me or my opinions and can't be civil, so back on ignore you go.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.