POLL: Jets Roster Transformation from 2023 to 2024 - Your Grade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 30, 2024.

?

Your Grade

1. A+ to A-

17.6%
  2. B+ to B-

58.8%
  3. C+ to C-

7.8%
  4. Undecided

15.7%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

These are the major moves Joe Douglas did. How would you rate this? I know everything is on paper. But what is your gut feel when you look at this?

upload_2024-3-30_10-36-0.png

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Upgrades at every position, let the GM deal with the picks and money aspect, not my f'n money. Team is definitely better now, A from me, I can't think of a way he could have done better from a player for player standpoint.

SOJAZ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not done just yet. Idc if it’s with the original slot or a trade or something but the 10th overall pick should bring a day 1 starter. No BS like last years pick

NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If I were to give a grade based only on what I think the 2024 version will do, it would be a B or B- assuming no major injuries. But that's a big assumption. If they suffer major injuries to Rodgers and/or the OL I'd have to rate what they did as a "D". And while you might say this would be hindsight, I'd reply not really, as given the age of these players, serious injury is very likely. I'll lean towards optimistic at this point and say a "B-".

And then there's the matter of beyond this year. How will Douglas's moves help in future years? If we're lucky he gets two good, mostly injury free years out of Rodgers and the OL. But that will require real luck, when have the Jets had that?

On balance, it was a good FA season for JD, but it was the least he could having screwed up as much as he has, especially with the QB and OL. As I said in the Riddick thread, I'm beyond sick and tired of this team investing more time, money, and energy into the defense over the offense, especially since this is an offense drive league. This is why I'm ready for a new regime.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The team should be better. But unless Rodgers returns to his 2021 form, which is very unlikely, they won't contend for the Super Bowl. So it's 2015 all over again, going all in on a team whose ceiling is winning a playoff game and then having to start over a year or two later.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I had to put undecided. You HAVE to take the injury history into consideration. Realistically half of our signings will spend significant time in the trainers room. If, for some reason, they all stay relatively healthy then I would give this a solid B. If Tyron Smith and Williams can stay healthy and maintain their good to elite form then this could climb to an A-.

Time will tell... Still scratching my head about the Reddick signing. Unless Huff wanted to move on from the team. Regardless, I still don't see the need to allocate resources to this area of the team with the other issues outstanding. Let's face it, you can't have enough o-linemen.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

JD did better than I thought after the initial first few days of signings where we weren't playing in the top OL tier. Go bring in Bahktiari to play backup T, bring in another weapon at 10 or trade up for a WR and really go for this thing. I also really hope that zach wilson trade happens soon (even if we have to package a 6th and we only get back a 7th), that $5 save will be so nice. Would love to be able to throw that $5 to add at safety with someone like Simmons

I give him a B+/A- and I think the guy normally sucks, but he's been good so far so need to give him his props

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I give him a B to B- based on this season. The Williams signing should be pretty key, and we should be able to have a winning record.

I give him a D to D- based on the impact this offseason is having on our future. I never believed we were good enough to go all in, and I dislike so much borrowing from the future in our situation. IMO this is all Aaron Rodgers fall out.

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well please vote the poll as well :)

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No option between A-/B+

11. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I think this boils down to what you want as a fan.

For a majority of the fanbase posting here who seemingly just want a more appetizing looking 2024 plate in front of them, and regardless how poor the underlying probability odds of it all working out realistically are, then it's hard to argue he didn't have a good offseason.

I mean at worst I have little doubt the 2024 team won't be a more entertaining weekly watch then last year. Which should hold up even after the bubble bursts on this completely misguided concept that Rodgers is actually anything short of a fairly heavy underdog bet going in to the year to beat back father time.

That said it's also hard to really nail down a grade on Joe for anything post 2022 imo. Given how uniquely dysfunctional this current mix appears to be as far as having to constantly question how much of anything is really JD driven behind the scenes from the moment Woody decided he wanted to make this the Team Rodgers Experience.

12. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

B+ to B-, but only because the OL depth is still scary thin. If we get through the draft and we add to the line then I can be persuaded to go higher. We needed WR depth, they got Williams. We needed OL help, they went out and got it. Huff? I’m not convinced by the contract-year career year. I’ve seen enough of the phenomenon in baseball to know I want no part of it

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I give it a 9 out of 11.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

So far JD has done well. I am hesitant to give an A because OL and WR is still weaker than it should be, so it is a B range for now, but the draft is still ahead. JD can make this an A off season with smart OL and WR additions in the draft and then rounding out of the roster after. But he is definitely awake. And also the contracts he acquired, none of them are crazy where he is mortgaging the future. He did give up 2026 3d for Reddick, which is a decent asset, plus equivalent of this year's 5th in the Moses trade, but that's not even close to mortgaging the future. So, he has been prudent as well.

Overall, this is not like last year at all, when he traded for Rodgers and got wiped out and took a nap for the rest of the year. I am seeing a guy who is capable of finally breaking through. A lot at stake at the upcoming draft though.

dawinner127 likes this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Undecided. He's brought in a whole bunch of guys with injury histories. Not exactly comforting after we saw last year go down the drain thanks in large part to...injuries. Granted he's got a limited talent pool to work with when it comes to free agency, but I just can't fully trust this guy to finally get it right with the O-line, which is his area of supposed expertise, when he trotted out that abysmal O-line last year and may have actually made that position worse in the five years he's been here than it was before he got here.

If he decides to get cute and try to draft something other than an O-lineman at #10, he should get his walking papers immediately.

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

indeed, time to go O...if they used every pick this year on O they still wouldn't be whole...Like you CC, I am disgusted becaue of the propensity to keep going D when O needs a lot of work. Tha plus keeping the OC and OLC is just plain ludicrous.

I'll tell you want though, RS has no more excuses...

PS. AS usual, I am hopeful but expect the worst.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This page is too small to see.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In terms of talent added to the team for this season, I give it an A-. The upgrade from Becton/Duane Brown to Tyron Smith is an A+, but due to Smith's age and injury history, it lowers to an A-. Smith was the best LT available and JD not only got him, but at a very reasonable deal. The upgrade from Lazard to Mike Williams is also an A+ based on talent and the contract, but lowers to A- because of Williams coming off of an ACL injury. Losing Huff and getting no compensation is an F, but getting Riddick for a future 3rd round pick was a B+ move, that would have been higher if he had been signed to a 2-year deal and it lowered his cap hit a little. We'll see how his additions at DT, CB and LG pan out, but right now they're a B- or C+. Overall, at this point, I'd give it a B or B-. As several have said, however, this is a little early to give grades because he could still sign someone in FA before the draft, then there's draft, and possibly adding cuts following the draft and camp cuts. Of course, whether or not the older guys with injury issues stay healthy and play most of the season will be the biggest determining factor in JD's grade (imo). Also, what he does at backup LT will be key. If he signs Bakhtiari and doesn't draft an LT, his grade will drop precipitously regardless of how healthy his FAs stay and how well they play. If he adds some additional OL depth or WR depth prior to the draft, that could improve his grade.

I guess the draft will be graded separately. If he doesn't go all offense with at least the first 4 picks, regardless of who he picks, then his grade will start with a C- and go down from there.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Every player brought in is an upgrade over who they are replacing. On paper this is the best roster in the AFC East.

This is what "All In" looks like and I'm all for it. We haven't seen the playoffs since Obama's second year for crying out loud.

For those worrying about sacrificing the future, these are almost unilaterally one year contracts. There will be plenty of cap space freed up as these contacts fall away.

Fuck 2026 - The future is now.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

From a win now perspective, there's not a lots more you could have asked for.

Now we just need some o-line depth and a #3 WR.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jets79 likes this.