Jets trading for Haason Reddick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 29, 2024.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

How is he in coverage?

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're being sacastic lol

abyzmul likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Only sort of. We really do need to plan for Mosley's departure, last season was the first time I saw him lose a huge step. I don't think the defense looks nearly as good without him. He hasn't missed a game since he returned from that early injury.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On the note of Reddick, although I've seen how good he is, I usually check the temperature of the fans of the previous team for a couple of days and the smart ones seem honestly upset in losing him, so I'm feeling better about him playing in 2024.

However we haven't heard news about an actual extension yet so he is only signed through this season and becomes UFA in 2025. That would make it a terrible trade. I don't care what year the pick falls in. It would be the similar to the Vilma trade but with the Jets getting fucked as the receiving team instead of the trading team. Hopefully the people in Philly actually respect Douglas and don't consider him a mark.

The value of this trade is still dependent on a new contract and the quality of that new contract.

5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of over-analyzing and assuming the worst

Who knows what happened with Huff? It wouldn’t be the first time that ego plays a role where a player thinks he’s worth XX. His team doesn’t offer that, and then he gets all butt hurt and doesn’t want to go back to team. Not saying that happened but there are a lot of ways to explain the Huff situation other than JD being a moron

Regarding Reddick he’s a definite positive and it looks like JD first wanted to fortify the line without giving up draft compensation but when that failed he went to a pretty good plan B.

We won’t know if this is an indictment on WMD until the season gets going. I’m more of an optimist and hoping WMD follows in JJ’s footsteps and makes a big jump in year 2

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

There's no evidence Huff was being difficult with the NYJ--if they handed the same contract Philly did he'd still be here--and if you look at the deets of the contract as reported on OTC, its stretched out with void years so it's not too big a hit--the cap numbers over the next 4 years are 4,7,11,27 and the 4th year can be avoided with a 6mm dead cap charge.

All the evidence points towards the NYJ as not valuing him as a long term vet investment. Time will tell.

Borat likes this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

What evidence is there NYJ didn’t value him? I’ve only seen speculation. The fact he wasn’t signed by us is not evidence that we didn’t value him — that’s speculation.

Hemi likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

When he did play in coverage he was ok, however that was just a small sample, I did not see him in coverage enough to give you a true assessment.

IDFjet likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The evidence is that JD didn't make an attempt to extend him in 2022, and made a feeble effort last year. Further, the Jets didn't give him a chance to start, and they didn't tag him with either the Transition or Franchise tags. Words are cheap. JD and Saleh saying that they hated to lose him doesn't mean much, when they didn't make a concerted effort to keep him happy and here.

Borat likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Reddick is an LB, how's that going to work in our D? We don't play a 3-4 D alignment. One of the reasons that they didn't play Huff more on early downs or give him a chance to start was that they said he was too light and not strong enough to set the Edge. How's Reddick going to do that?

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The evidence they didnt value him is they didnt extend him--you're the one coming up with some form of dissatisfaction by Huff by pulling it out of your ass--look up parsimony and proving the null hypothesis.

If you have evidence he was dissatisifed show it--else, its a Jets FO conclusion until evidence otherwise.

Borat likes this.
  12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

What was the feeble effort. Did you see the contract? What was the offer. Did you ask Huff?

NOVAJET likes this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--I'm in the same quandary as you--if they are going to use 3 LB then they will not play nickel nearly as much and I don't see that happening and like you say, I don't believe Reddick is going to line up at DE on non-passing downs.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s going to be lined up on the LOS 95% of the time I’d guess. Not to say there aren’t variations where he runs with a back or covers the flat here and there but the Jets brought him here to rush the passer.

Lining him up as a weakside linebacker is what the Cardinals did for a bunch of years and wasted anything he’s good at. He’s not a guy that plays in space. He’s good at using his hands and running by tackles.

IDFjet likes this.
  15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

A big game ghost. He will fit in perfectly on the Jets.

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think JD saw a solid vet with some pass rushing ability and figured he'd add the piece--he really doesn't fit well into the defense we've been using the last 2 years beyond what Huff did it seems until new evidence is presented.

What he gave up for him is criminal IMO--Philly picked up a younger version at a cheaper price point plus a 3rd. If we come out of this OK it will be purely luck.

ouchy likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

exactly he’s not an edge player, he’s a unique talent that rushes as a normal linebacker

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He will be the 3rd linebacker in the base set and in obvious passing situations Mosley comes out and Reddick is the roving pass blitzer

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I'm confused how speculating he had interest to go to another team, greener pastures, requires evidence while speculating the Jets front office didn't value Huff is evidence Jets didn't want him enough. They did try to extend him, you have no idea what happened in between.

Too many on this board think players are like robots like in Madden. It's not purely transactional and monetary.

#159 JackBower, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    NOVAJET likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not totally sure how that’s going to work out. CJ Mosley was exclusively a 3-4 LB when Jets signed him and he has played well in his transition to 4-3.

I believe McDonald will see more playing time as DE and Hassan as LB.

I’m not sure if you read my earlier post but I don’t believe this trade was made to trade player position for player position, it was made to recoup productivity.

Im sure Hassan will be coming off blindside with Jermaine or McDonald and Jets will use more stunts allowing DE to have more 1 on 1 and mismatches.

That’s just my perception of why they traded for Reddick.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.