With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting indeed. I saw a similar article several years ago. The odds are almost twice as good hitting on an OT rather than a WR outside the top 10.

Borat likes this.
  2. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Nah, I want them to stay put and take QB. NE has fallen down to the bottom with us as a dysfunctional franchise that doesn't know how and has no real business trying to develop a young QB right now.

They are arguably worse equipped then Carolina was last year, and which is probably their 2024 ceiling. It's gonna be a 4 year death sentence for whatever poor soul gets called up to that podium.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Justin ran a little bit faster than Rome, and besides Justin was drafted #22. I am not saying Odunze is a bust or anything like that, I like him as a prospect in fact. I am just pointing out that 4.45 coupled with the fact he wasn't a separator in College in my book put him a level below other top WR prospects that can separate, like Harrison and Nabers. It's about the probability to succeed at the next level. You make it sound like he is a near lock to be a Jefferson. I think he will be a good player, but I am just not ready to say he is going to be this can't miss superstar prospect because there are some holes there, and therefore I would probably go with Olu or Latham over him. Again, that doesn't mean Rome is not good. I would pick him over Bowers in a heartbeat. But I am also not running to the podium if he is still there and would look what OTs are still on the board.

Also, where did you see Nabers running 4.4?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I read somewhere that Odunze is Nigerian for “second round pick, eaten by lions before noon”. Cool how specific that is.

BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

All I’m saying is the last time we went “omg tackle or bust” we passed on a guy who is currently a top 3 WR in the league for a guy that isn’t even on a team let alone the Jets. And that was in a year we actually did have a reason to go tackle over everything. If we go OT over Odunze it’d be hard to feel good about Joe Douglas. Or I should say even harder.

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I get it, but there were 4 other WRs that were selected after we picked Becton and before Jefferson. Are you sure Rome is Jefferson and not Jeudy? And if we ended up with Wirfs as we should have, that's better than the next 4 WRs taken. It just depends on a prospect. If Nabers is there at 10 to me the conversation is different than if Odunze is there and Nabers gone.

7. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

I recently saw a mock where the top two left tackles were gone and the top three receivers were gone by ten. Who are you going to take if you can't trade out? Fuaga or Bowers? .. someone else?

8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Just a reminder, Mahomes was picked at 10 by a team that did not then need a QB

We should focus on BPA regardless of need. Picking for need ==beer goggles

9. BroadwayAaron

I wasn’t even talking about Jefferson. I was talking about CeeDee Lamb. Blindly going OT over stud WR because of “need” is a mistake I’d much rather not make again.

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

IMO Fuaga is going to be a G in the NFL. Because of that it’s a no brainer you take Bowers. The only OT’s I rank high enough to take at 10 are Alt and Fashanu. This class of OT’s is deep, but I see a lot of guys who need development first. We’re not a team in position to take development players at 10.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

One of the big three WRs would be hard to pass on. If Odunze is there you have to strongly consider him. I'd be happy with an OT too, but wouldn't want to force the position if a more highly projected WR is available.

If they go WR at 10, they really need to look to OT in the 3rd, which fortunately there should be some really good Day 2 prospects as this is such a deep class. It may push some talented players lower than usual. At that point though, I'd also want them to sign a veteran swing tackle, or somebody to compete for the swing tackle role, in free agency. Cam Fleming, Donovan Smith, George Fant & Charles Leno are just a few who could fit.

All Gas No Shake and Jets OG fan like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Man. A trade down would by far away be the best of both worlds. 1.10 for 1.17 and 2.16 would be almost identical points. Take Fautanu, Guyton, Latham or Mims and then someone like Polk or Pearsall at WR in round 2. That's a dream scenario and way better than sticking at 1.10

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and LAJet like this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Jets met with Nabers, I am sure due diligence but he is top 2 in this class at WR

LSU star WR Malik Nabers had dinner with Giants last night + met with Patriots, Titans, Jets & Jaguars yesterday ahead of today’s Pro Day, per sources. He will meet with Cardinals post-workout today.

Nabers, a projected top-10 pick, will run the 40 & routes for NFL teams today.

14. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. That's a bunch of nonsense imo. BPA HAS to be balanced with need, positional importance, and scheme fit; otherwise, a GM can wind up in the same situation that Mac was in for years where the BPA was a DT. Have you forgotten about that? This team has zero depth at LT behind a 33-year old player who hasn't played a full season since 2015 and during that span had two seasons where he played less than 5 games. We don't have single OT on the roster that can be counted upon to be a starter in 2025. This is one of the best drafts for OTs in quite a while, maybe ever, and you want to just ignore the glaring need at LT? That's illogical and poor reasoning.

GMs should have certain guiding principles with regards to the draft, but they should NEVER be followed blindly or slavishly. That only leads to problems. Not only did Mac draft a bunch of DTs, he ignored WR, RB and other key positions because they weren't the BPA at the Jets' pick, and then when he had a chance to draft a topflight QB he drafted a SS instead, and then the following season drafted the worst QB pick ever. When one has a critical need at one of the most important positions, the book goes out the window. Sometimes a GM even needs to reach a little to fill a positional need of importance. One can't always find an adequate vet in FA or their cost is too much and one can't always find a trade partner in order to trade down or up. GMs are paid to get results, not follow some sort of misguided rulebook for the offseason and draft.

#874 NCJetsfan, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. One drafts players for their career, not just for their rookie season. JD has to think about the future just as much as he does this season. If he's only thinking about this season out of fear of losing his job, then he's hurting the team. If he's thinking about what's best for the team over the long run and building a sustainable winner, which he has continually said is his goal, then he drafts a top OT prospect who can learn from Smith, Moses and Carter this season, and get experience when Smith goes down, then be ready to take over as the starting LT next season. Next year's draft could be a bad one for OTs. With no OTs on the roster who are capable of starting and a tight cap, where's he going to get TWO starting-caliber OTs next offseason? If he's fired, how would we get anywhere near a quality GM or HC to come to a team with no quality OTs and no way to get them before the 2025 season begins?

I also disagree that Fuaga is going to be an OG in the NFL, but I guess that depends upon whom drafts him.

One simply cannot forget about the future. That's foolish in the extreme.

#875 NCJetsfan, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Who is the OT prospect that will be available in the 3rd round that could help this year or going forward? The OTs who will be available at #72 are most likely Blake Fisher, Matt Goncalves, Javon Foster, Christian Jones, and Roger Rosengarten. IMO NONE of those would be able to step in and play this year, and none are good enough to develop into above average starters in the NFL. Rosengarten might be the best of those, and he's a RT. Read the scouting reports on those players and tell me who you'd want to be our future LT.

In terms of FA, Fant was signed by the Seahawks. The only OTs that I know are still available are Becton, Leno, and Donovan Smith. Cam Fleming might still be available. He used to be decent, if not pretty good, but I don't think he's still at that level. I know that D. Smith is not the level we need and neither was Becton this past season, but in more of a power scheme and a full year of practice and play behind him, Becton could be better, but I'm not sure anyone (especially including Becton) would want him back on the Jets. The only things I know about Leno are that: he's 32-years old; he plays OT; he has been a starter for most of his career first with the Bears for 7 years and then for the Commanders the last 3 years and that neither team had a particularly good OL; he's only 6'4 which is subpar for an OT, he's missed very few games in his career, but missed 4 games last season. Is that whom you want playing LT with the season and playoffs on the line? For that matter, do you want the fate of the 2024 season resting upon any of those vet FA OTs? I don't, and I don't want to go into next offseason without at least 1 starting-caliber OT on the roster.

17. dawinner127

Patrick Paul maybe.

You don't need a T to step in this year though. They are going to sign Bahktiari in June as your back up tackle. Then you have Carter Warren + Max Mitchell + Wes as your 9 and then a rookie at 72 is your 10th OL.

18. NCJetsfan

I disagree that we won't need a T to step in this year. He has only played 13 games out of the last 3 seasons (1 - 11 - 1). What makes you think he'll be healthy once Smith goes down? That would be a HUGE, unnecessary, and imo foolish risk. If Bakhtiari is healthy, fine, but if not, JD would look like a fool and he would be ripped apart by the media and fanbase, as he should be. You don't back up an oft-injured player with a player who's even more oft-injured. That's not wise team buidling, especially in an all-in season. If Bakhtiari isn't healthy, then Carter Warren is at LT, and more than likely, Rodgers would wind up getting hurt and the season would go down the drain. That wouldn't necessarily be the case with a young stud OL like Fashanu, and maybe even with Fautanu, Suamataia or Paul or Amegadjie.

IMO Paul isn't the ideal LT for the Jets. He's huge with very long arms and powerful, but his lateral agility isn't great and his feet are slow. I think he would have many of the same problems that Becton had. I'd rather bring Becton back to backup Smith than use a 2nd round pick on Paul.

19. BroadwayAaron

Again... what team has starters available as backups at both tackle positions? We have good depth with Carter and Mitchell and would have even better depth with Bakhtiari. This notion that everyone has a starting caliber backup OL in case their entire OL goes down is not reality.

Sundayjack and dawinner127 like this.
  20. dawinner127

There is a better chance Fashanu or Fautanu stink than they are "young studs" in their rookie year.