Welcome to the Jets, Mike Williams!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Love this signing too. JD is doing great. Injury issues seem to be the main risk in most of the Jets’ moves, but each have big upside too. Mike Williams is literally the best WR2 the Jets have had since Eric Decker.

mezzavo and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sadly, he's also better than most of the #1 WRs we've had recently until G. Wilson came along.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Second coming of Marshall for us.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Keep ATV at guard permanently!! Warren has higher ceiling than Mitchell. Get OT in round 1 either at 10 or trade down. Don't take Bowers...we got Conklin and Ruckert. Get another WR in round 3 or 4. Also draft a DT, developmental QB, Safety and ILB if possible. Don't draft a RB unless a steal falls into your lap. I fear Douglas will take Bowers since he took McDonald last year when jets were stacked at edge.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm firmly in the pass on Bowers camp myself--Kyle Pitts was an even greater mismatch and he's still learning the position. I don't think JD will take him but who knows.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Williams contract has recorded. He gets 8.3 million guaranteed, with 1.7 million in play bonuses (basically 100 grand for each game played) = 10 million.

So a 5.9 million cap hit on this year, with 2.6 to 4.1 million pushed into future years. Its about what we expected.

Borat, Nyjets4eva and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Different type of mismatches though. Pitts was a long strider that was supposed to body defensive backs and out jump them with solid speed. Bowers has the speed of an X receiver and the power in the open field like Gronk lite.

I agree that the Pitts overdraft makes me worried about taking a tightend high. Top ten tightends rarely turn out to be difference makers (Kellen Winslow Jr. anyone?), but Bowers feels different because of his skills in the open field.

stinkyB, Nyjets4eva, IDFjet and 3 others like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Excellent point like usual--do you think that Bowers can have the kind of year Kincaid had with Buff? I personally think thats unlikely so I'd still prefer OT.

tomdeb likes this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I still think TE is good enough with Conklin and Ruckert…I’d rather go OT or WR at 10 or trade back…just not high on top ten TEs…most often they are not worth it…and by the way, neither Kelce or Kittle were top ten picks…

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Athletic (pay wall but you get it for free with a NYT sub., or you can sign up for it directly) has an NFL beat writers mock draft that has the Jets taking Bowers even though Fashanu is still there on the board. And even more maddening is that they have a trade that puts NE at #11 who then take Fashanu. :mad:

Taking a TE at #10 would be SO SOJ.

Their priorities should be:

1. OT
    2. OT
    3. OT

4. WR

But of course it will be Bowers.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m just not sure how you could possibly be upset with Bowers? It’s not like if we take Bowers we only get him for next year.

I wouldn’t be against taking a tackle at all but the Jets have a bunch of options for once.

Acad23 and BroadwayAaron like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Under normal circumstances - i.e. our GM had built and been maintaining a good OL - I'd have no problem really taking Bowers, although TEs taken in the 1st round and being successful are rare, and for the Jets even more rare. But Douglas HAS to ensure the OL is good, not only for this year - which still isn't certain - but for the future. Even if Bowers turns out the way some have predicted, it wouldn't make the difference that a stud OT will make IMO.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm really starting to fear that may happen! About the only way it won't is if JD gets hit by a bus and is in a coma and not able to run the draft, and whomever runs the draft instead will ignore what JD wants, use common sense, and take the OT. Does anyone know a bus driver in the area? ;):p:eek::confused::D

tomdeb likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Oh no we might end up with one of the most intriguing offensive weapons in years god help us

Acad23 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Or we might wind up with yet another bust TE from the 1st round.

NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Or we end up with yet another bust OT from the first round.

See how that works?

NOVAJET likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If Douglas takes Bowers, you can be sure Moses and/or Smith will get hurt in game 1, and Ruckert and Conklin will stay healthy all year. :D
    I really don't understand the call for Bowers by many on this board. We got not one, but two, 33 year old bookend tackles and truckloads of TEs.
    Further, from what I've been reading the jets are revamping their running game and changing blocking schemes. Why in the world would you add an undersized TE like Bowers then?
    By all accounts he is a willing blocker but not very successful. Just like edge rusher McDonald last year, he would be more of a luxury pick.
    OL requires the most players per snap in football (5). TE generally requires the minimum (1). Do the math.
    We need another stud OT not just for 2024 but beyond.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, if both are busts, sure, doesn't matter which bust you pick. But if you pick a LT and he is average starter, you hit a home run. You have an injury prone LT now, who can miss games any moment, and you need a LT for the future. An average one there, and you are happy. An average TE means you actually downgraded from Conk, who is still young, not injury prone and can start for a few years. Plus there is a promising back-up in the wings too in Ruckert. And you did not address the holes in premium positions.

The point is that selecting Bowers screws us in average scenario too, not just in the bust one.

19. BroadwayAaron

If you have to think this hard about it then it’s probably not a solid argument. I’m not even against OT. I prefer Bowers to any OT that isn’t Alt but I can at least understand why we’d go OT over Bowers. Bottom line is we are in win now mode. You’ll take the “average” tight end (which most people would tell you is not the case with him) who can be a weapon every down over the second or third best tackle who ideally never sees the field.

Again…I prefer Bowers or any of the top 3 WRs at 10 over OT but I’m not gonna piss and moan if we go OT.

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

I guess, like me, you have difficulty in seeing "how this works". ;)

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.