DJ's latest Mock has Jets trade up for MHJ

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I thought so too, until I watched all 22 of his game. Here are some of his plays against Michigan. Take a look. This was against the best team in the League and is widely considered a poor game for him. He is not so bad. And very young, the youngest top tackle prospect, just turned 21.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

If you take a look at the last 8 Super Bowls outside of Cooper Kupp, no WR was as valuable a weapon as Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz. The mentality of the league is changing. As teams load up on CBs to neutralize WRs, pass catching tight ends are becoming more and more important.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

More important - perhaps, but WRs still rule the pass catching world and it is not even remotely close:
    https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2023/REG/all/receivingyards/DESC
    https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2023/reg/all/receivingreceptions/desc

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is true. But it also requires an OC who knows how to use such weapons. We don't currently have one.

NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent point! So maybe Bowers does make more sense than a WR in the 1st round, but I still say that an OT makes the most sense.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  6. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

But I bet Aaron Rodgers does. He will put him in motion to where he needs to be on any given play.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I also thought it was a bad idea to draft Sauce over an edge rusher.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think the Jets have to get a top OT prospect b/c, like you said, there will be injuries to the current OTs.

Borat, ouchy, NY Jets68 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

JOE ALT. By any means necessary.

10. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, he tried to change the talking point and I kept him to his original assertion (that WRs were necessities).

11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Too much to give up to trade up where they have no future in QB and OL. IMO, will not be a popular choice and will probably get ridiculed for this wild idea, but I am actually wishing the Jets trade not only back once but twice, where they can build the future with 3 offensive picks getting a OL in late first round, and get a solid QB to learn behind AR for a year, and either the best WR or TE available with the newly acquired 2nd round picks. Not necessarily in that order but the combination of an OL/QB/Receiver. Tulane’s Pratt still stands out for me.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Green Bay, San Francisco, and Houston all have good receiver rooms. Houston was missed Dell in the playoffs which hurt them.

A lot of the teams have some top end talent too. Detroit is a good example with Amon-Ra as is Buffalo with Diggs.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Unhappyjetsfan

Would you trade our receiver room for Green Bay or Houston's receivers?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Green Bay for sure. They are 5 deep with differing skill sets. Houston, yes, if Dell is healthy and the assumption is they’ll have the draft to keep adding targets.

15. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

You have Detroit, San Fran, Buffalo and even Ravens WR under rated.
    Detroit has 1 great WR in Amon Ra and 1 good WR and a great TE (LaPorta) (WR should include ALL pass catchers)
    San Fran has 2 great WRs in Deebo and Aiyuk as well as a great TE (Kittle)
    Buffalo has 1 great WR in Diggs and 1 good one in Samuel as well as 1 great TE (Kincaid).
    Baltimore has an excellent WR in Flowers as well as a great TE (Andrews).

If anything your argument tells us we need Bowers lol

REVISion likes this.
  16. Unhappyjetsfan

I wouldn't. And I think our receivers room is below average.

17. Unhappyjetsfan

The conversation wasn't about all pass catchers. The conversation was about wide receivers.

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the 49ers have two receivers who have been all pro, ayuik was one last year
    detroit also has an all pro receiver in st brown and spent a top 12 pick on another starting receiver

no way those two groups are anywhere close to being avg

REVISion likes this.
  19. Unhappyjetsfan

We have an all-pro receiver. Were we better than average at WR last year?

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the way you're thinking creatively, but the only team with two 2nd round picks is the Eagles at #22. I doubt that they'd trade up, and even if so, they aren't going to give up both 2nd round picks. So if the Jets take an OT with a late 1st round pick, and get a solid QB to sit behind AR for a year in the 2nd round, that means that the WR or TE will be at pick #72. I know that you said that the order could be different, but I don't think there will be a QB who goes in the 3rd round who it would really help to sit behind AR for a year. I don't like Pratt at all. He has a barely passable arm, and has other issues:

* Below-average timing and arm talent as full-field thrower versus NFL coverage. * Doesn’t throw with enough anticipation against zone windows. * Slow to get through progressions and locate open targets on the backside. * Struggles with consistent accuracy and ball placement outside the numbers * Forces wide receivers to break stride on downfield throws. (from nfl.com) If he is slow going through progressions now, there's no way the Jets would take him after dealing with Zach the last 3 years. In addition, a below-average arm and timimg, doesn't anticipate throwns in zone coverage, struggles with accuracy, with the exception of the arm strenth and talent, it sounds like the way many have characterized Zach. I doon't see that happening at all.

Unless several teams are vying to move up to #10 to take JJ McCarthy, the Jets probably won't even get a 2nd round pick unless they move down at least to #22 or lower, so I don't think there's much chance that they could trade down twice, unless the first time they only moved down 1-3 spots, and then worked a 2nd trade to move down10-15 spots or more. Even then the first trade down could only net them a 3rd and 5th, maybe a 4th or a future draft pick, and then the 2nd trade down would only get a 2nd, so unless there was crazy competition and overpaying by one of Minnesota, Las Vegas or Denver, and I htink it's Denver that doesn't even have a 2nd round pick.

Pick #10 is worth 1300 points. Pick #13 is worth 1150, a difference of 150 points, which is the lower 3rd of (88th pick) of the 3rd round. The 23rd pick is worth 760 points, a difference of 390 points from pick #13. That's equivalient to pick #51 in the 2nd round.