DJ's latest Mock has Jets trade up for MHJ

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Go look at the rest of the teams that made the playoffs and let me know what their WR/TE groups look like. Go back to previous years too if you'd like more evidence.

Not saying QB isn't the most important thing btw, it is, but you need a QB+pass catchers.

QBs also largely dictate how well the OL performs as well.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Fashanu is not a fit in a gap scheme, some team will covet him, and that would give us the opportunity to trade down. Then again, since Fuaga is rising up the boards, and I believe that he would be a scheme fit, the best might be staying put and taking Fuaga.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’d say that now, having signed 3 OL including 2 OTs and a WR, we are in a very nice position to let the draft come to us.

We can stay put at 10 and take the best OT or WR (OT would be my preference), or if some of the 2nd tier QBs drop into range, we may be able to manage a trade down for a team who may want JJ or Penix, recoup some picks, and then take the best available OT/WR later in round 1.

We have some options now, which is good.

I still think our first 2 or 3 picks should be some combo of OT/WR regardless of where we pick, and it’s actually nice that this draft is looked at as being pretty strong in those two positions…

dmw, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

They didn’t “lose” 2 WRs, they let 2 WRs go. It’s reported Harbaugh likes to build thru the trenches and Harbaugh has had a thing for Bowers for a while… JH can draft Latham/Bowers/Fuaga at 5 -or- they can get an extra 2nd next year and get Latham/Bowers/Fuaga at 10….. would AZ (at 11) or Chi make a better offer to slide into 5? Idk

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Honestly. MHJ Is elite. He's going to be a top WR In the NFL. IMO There Is no doubt In my mind about It. All of them are really good but MHJ Is clearly the best out of the four. Overall. Again though, they are all very good.

1. MHJ
    2. GW
    3. JSN
    4. Olave

stinkyB and Borat like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What I meant is not that Olu won't ever be a fit, but a key trait, power, is where he actually lacks today. He does have the frame though, so he could improve in this area eventually, possible even during the summer. I think I would still take him at 10 if he slides, but it's something to be mindful of. Fuaga lacks another component important for Gap scheme, arm length. Unfortunately, unlike Olu, that he cannot improve. But he does have great power. He could be an elite guard in this scheme, which is very valuable too, particularly with AVT possibly missing early season. And even when he is back, Fuaga could start at LG. Simpson is OK at best, but Fuaga I think is a big upgrade over him. I personally would prefer a true tackle in round one one, hence a trade back and JD Latham would work well. Latham could also play guard early if AVT is out, he has that flexibility. Or if everyone is healthy he can upgrade Simpson at LG. Plus he is very young, just turned 21, which is a plus. Or just take Fashanu and not think too much about it if he is there.

I am becoming really concerned though about JD taking Bowers. I like the guy, but I don't think he can block in Gap scheme, and lacks contested catch ability. I wanted to see him tested athletically, but he didn't do it. He is elite YAC player looks like, but is that enough to take him #10 over OL? I don't think so. Ruckert can probably thrive in the new blocking scheme and Conklin can compliment him as an underrated weapon. He was very good with inferior QB play without OL, and with Rodgers and decent OL, he could really blossom. But last year if you remember they showed on one Jet Drive that they had Mayers rated very high. Solid guy, but he did go 2nd round and no one is saying he was a steal. Now, the betting odds are VERY high we will take Bowers. This is very worrisome. We one very likely Smith injury away from Carter Warren protecting Rodgers' blind side. We know what happened last time a subpair OT protected him. Another OT is not a luxury, it is a necessity.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Xavier Leggett, his blend of size and speed gives wet dreams.
    I was really big on Harrison Jr since last year but I am starting to lean toward Malik Nabers. Nabers is bigger, played in the SEC, and has an unbelievable catch radius.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I don't know why you continue to insist that Fuaga is an OG and not an OT. I doubt that he has risen up the rankings because he is see as an OG. His arms are 33 1/8 While that's not ideal, they're long enough to get the job done. I would be sorely tempted to take either Fashanu or Fuaga at #10. It would be great to trade down and get that 2nd round pick, but if Fashanu is there, I'd take him, and if not, I'd find it really hard to pass up on Fuaga to trade down. I would definitely have to get a 2nd round pick to trade down an pass on Fuaga. The other thing to keep in mind is that they're probably not converting full time to a gap scheme. No team does that according Nania. They run some plays as gap and others as zone, so Fashanu would definitely be a fit, as would Fuaga, and Fautanu.

JD could take Bowers, but hopefully he's not that foolish. While Bowers has the ability to take over a game, and is a great prospect, with Smith's injury history and age, and Moses having a bad shoulder, and the Jets having no decent OTs for 2025, he would be foolish to take Bowers. IMO if he's not going to take an OT, he should take a WR before taking Bowers.

dmw likes this.
  9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Sure ... let's look at the Top 8 teams ...

Kansas City - all-world QB, average tackles, bad WRs
    San Francisco - average QB, great tackles, average WRs
    Baltimore - great QB, above average tackles, bad WRs
    Detroit - above average QB, great tackles, average WRs
    Buffalo - great QB, above average tackles, below average WRs
    Philadelphia - average QB, above average tackles, great WRs
    Houston - great QB, above average tackles, below average WRs
    Tampa Bay - below average QB, above average tackles, great WRs
    Green Bay - below average QB, below average tackles, below average WRs

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nabers Isn't bigger. Perhaps stronger, he certainly breaks far more tackles.
    His ceiling Is very high but he Is more of an athletic freak with very high upside, but Is raw In a lot of ways too.

Definitely Isn't on the same level from a technical standpoint as MHJ.
    Projects as an elite WR for many, he Is very good, and should get even better with proper coaching In the NFL.
    Worth the risk but I think MHJ Is easily the top WR In this class. Easily.

stinkyB likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think Fuaga has risen up because he a skilled athletic nasty powerful mofo, who will be a good player in this league. If your floor is top Guard and ceiling is a good RT, it's not a bad thing. He does seem a little slow on pass pro at times and coupled with shorter arms (33 is short, very few good OTs have same or shorter arms than that) pass pro at OT is a bit concerning. In College he was known as a better run player than pass pro, where he was also OK, but not great. And that was at RT where typically competition is worse than LT. I do personally think he will end up at OG eventually, but maybe not. Either way, it is a good pick, I would just prefer someone who is more certain to be a OT, and possibly LT eventually, like Olu or even Latham on a trade down.

Completely agree on Bowers. If JD will end up taking a weapon, I would much prefer that to be a WR. I think there is a chance we could get someone like Brian Thomas, whom I would prefer over Odunze. The guy is just as big as Odunze, and ran .12 faster on 40 yard dash. He seems to be separating very well too and has 17 TD catches. Just a beast who could be available at 10 or perhaps even with a small trade down. I still think we need OT, but would much rather have Thomas than Bowers.

#53 Borat, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The top 2 teams listed each have All World tight ends. Both are the "go to guy" in their respective offenses.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

That's swell. They aren't WRs, which was what was being discussed.

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree wtih your rating of GBs players as below average. I think Love and the WRs are all average to above average. I also think that TB's QB was average; otherwise, good job.

16. NCJetsfan

I'm very wary about Latham. Most Alabama OL (with the exception of Landon Dickerson) suck in the NFL. I don't think he'll wind up an LT, and he could wind up being crappy like all the rest of the Alabama OL.

17. NCJetsfan

True, but coupled with their mediocre to average WR corps, they basically only have one really reliable receiver, the TE. That just goes to show that a team doesn't have to have 2 stud WRs, much less 3. IMO Conklin is above average and Ruckert is average at this point, but the Jets have two very good/great WRs, and two very questionable OTs in terms of health. That's why it's imperative to me that the OT position be addressed in the 1st round.

Borat likes this.
  18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This all day long. While it would be "fun" for a minute to have two WR's like that, who's going to throw them the ball? Great for this year, IF Rodgers stays upright. The minute he's down you may as well have "lumpy and dumpy" at WR because whomever we have at QB will be busy getting killed behind an oft injured makeshift line. As far as the future goes, the NY Jets have NEVER developed a QB so, once Rodgers was no longer a part of the equation, you'd have two wastes of WR talent instead of just one. Draft that guy in the line...is all I'm saying.

Oh, and if JD moves UP for anyone other than Caleb Williams, I'm PERSONALLY going to fly to Florham Park and Greco Roman wrestle and SNAP JD in half. Write that down... I may be old but I'm in FANTASTIC shape and I'd lay money on me. Besides, I'm sure I could put together a posse of Gang Greener's to help.;)

Unhappyjetsfan and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The guy you were responding to asked what the WR/TE groups looked like.